Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD and PC/Home Entertainment Audio

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD and PC/Home Entertainment Audio

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-01, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll soon be doing an entire upgrade of my PC system, allowing it to be used
as an entertainment system in my room to watch DVD's.
I'll be purchasing the SoundBlaster Live Digital Entertainment, but I'm
having a few troubles on what speakers I should go for. At the moment, my
budget for speakers is $100-$200... but I'm willing to move that up to $300.
However, because of this, it looks like I'll be only able to afford a 4
speaker setup (plus subwoofer).

How much am I really missing out on without going for a 5.1 setup to make
use of dolby? Is it really that much better than a 4 speaker setup?

Also, can anyone recommend what speakers I should go for? So far, I've
really only considred Altec Lansing and Cambridge Soundworks, for their
price and design for PC's. Comments?

Finally, if I do go for a four speaker setup, can I add a fifth speaker to
take advantage of the dolby 5.1 capabilties of the sound blaster live? Or is
that not possible?

Thanks very much for your time.

PS. I'm aware this is more suited to the PC Hardware forum, but I'm hoping to get some answers relating to the Dolby 5.1, which does relate to this forum.

Ewan Fleming.

Old 01-16-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Bullseye

I also watch my dvds using my pc. It's been a while but as far as I can remember there are four main contenders for the pc theater systems in your price range: Cambridge Soundworks dtt2500(though I believe they now have the 3500's), Klipsch Promedia v2-400, Midiland s4 8200, and the Videologic Digitheatre.

I have the Cambridge dtt2500's. They retail at around 300 I believe ( or at least they used to) but I was able to get them for 190 online. This was about 6 months ago so I'm sure the prices are cheaper. The reason I got this set was cause it suited me the best personally as far as value goes. It's not a very powerful system ( it is 5.1) but it outputs clear, crisp sound and the bass gets the job done especially in a small room. It is more commonly used for pc movie watching and gaming.

My friend bought the Midilands (he paid about 300 for them around the same time). This is also a 5.1 system and is more powerful. It also comes with a small remote which may come in handy for you. I didnt purchase this system because I felt the advantages didnt outweigh the extra cost as compared to the Cambridges. My friend is very happy with them though.

The Videologic Digitheatre, from what I read, is the very best for pc movie watching. Though I remember them being the most expensive out of the four. It is also a 5.1 system.

Finally, you were contemplating whether or not you should get a 5.1 system at all. Personally, I would strongly recommend it. I'm very happy with my dtt's and my friend is very happy with his midilands. I personally cant live without 5.1 now. But if you feel that a four speaker setup is the best for you, then definitely go for the Klipsch Promedias. For its price ( I believe they're 250 and I even think I saw a few at my local Best Buy, btw the previous three systems are almost nonexistent in retail stores, you would have to buy them online if i'm not mistaken), this is a very powerful system. If I remember correctly, this 4.1 system is in total a 400 watt system with very good bass. Its advocates use it mainly for music; not that many use it for movies because of its lack of a center channel.

I'm not sure about adding a fifth speaker to a four speaker setup; I suspect that would not work because you would need a new receiver. I'm sure others on this forum know more about it than me though.

Sorry I typed so much; it's just I had to go through what you were going through and I remember it being a tough decision. So in conclusion, if you want relatively good 5.1 for the cheapest price, go with Cambridge, if you want the best movie audio experience, go with the Digitheatre, and if you want something in the middle, go with the Midilands. If you're absolutely bent on a 4.1 system (and would also use this entertainment system for music) then by far the Promedias are the best in that price range.

Here's a link I found with reviews on the Midilands and Klipsch Promedias.
http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...and_8200_a.htm

There are reviews for the other systems online as well. They shouldnt be that hard to find. Finally, I'm sorry if my info is a little outdated; it's been a while since I've researched this stuff.