Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Bose does not support DTS??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bose does not support DTS??

Old 01-15-01, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Bose Lifestyle 12 Home Theatre System and in my opinion get incredible 5.1 sound off my DVDs. My Sony DVD player supports DTS format but my Bose system apparently does not support DTS format. The Bose manual gives instructions to turn the DTS feature OFF on the DVD Player as it could cause damage to the Bose speakers. I would like to experience the DTS format for myself but am unsure if I can. Are there others with this problem and if so, is there a way around it?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-15-01, 02:01 PM

That's nuts.

Your speakers can't deny you the ability to listen to DTS.

-Gonnosuke
Old 01-15-01, 02:08 PM

Hey Brian. I'm glad you are enjoying your Lifestyle 12. To help answer a few of your questions, the Lifestyle 12 (nor any other system by Bose) is not DTS compatible. We left the DTS processor out for a few reasons. Number one is software support. And the time the series II Lifestyle systems were released, the DTS market did not look like it was going to take off. Also, as you might know, the number of Dolby Digital vs. DTS DVDs is outrageous. At the time, there was less than 40 DTS DVDs on the market vs a few thousand DD. Will it ever include it in the future? I doubt it unless DTS makes a huge improvement in breaking into the home theatre market.

To the best of my knowledge, playing a DVD in DTS will not damage your system and/or speakers. If you play it in DTS, you will not hear DTS surround, you will hear the Videostage 5 processor.

As far as you wanting to experience DTS, there is an audible difference. Is a huge difference? Most people think not. My average customer can't hear a difference. I can, but it's a slight difference.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. If you have any others, please feel free to ask or e-mail me.

------------------
My Site
Old 01-15-01, 02:13 PM

Bose Pro - Since his DVD player has a DTS decoder, will he be able to "experience" DTS?

-Gonnosuke
Old 01-15-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the amplifier cannot decode DTS, outputting the DTS bitstream may cause 'distortion' that can be harmful to your speakers. This is not a problem specific to Bose. The speakers themselves could handle DTS sound, but your system is not capable of DTS decoding, thus you are unable to listen to DTS soundtracks. Therefore, turn off DTS in your player to avoid accidental unneccessary problems.
If you'd like to 'experience DTS sound', you should either go to a store and audition a DTS system and decide if it is worth an investment, or upgrade your receiver/speaker system to a DTS-capable system.
Old 01-15-01, 02:28 PM

TO BOSEPRO:

Thank you thank you for your reply. It cleared up a big question for me regarding how big of a difference there was between dolby digital 5.1 and DTS Sound. We're really big on sound so we were very curious. What "slight differences" can you hear? We have a huge selection of DVD's so any exaples will give us a better idea. Also, is it possible to hook up the Bose speakers directly into the back of the DVD Player to hear the DTS sound if we wanted??

Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-15-01, 02:29 PM

Digit's advice is very good. Better to be safe than sorry. And the adive on auditioning DTS and determine if it's worth an upgrade is also great advice.

Gonnosuke...even with the DTS processor present in the DVD player, it still will not play throught the Lifestyle systems. The is because the Lifestyle systems are not DTS ready as would be required.

-Jeff

------------------
My Site
Old 01-15-01, 02:35 PM

Brain-

Unfortuately the speakers cannot be plugged directly into the DVD player because they would lack the proper amplification and crossovers. That's all in the sub. And there is no sub line because the amp is on the sub.

DTS formats have less sound compression on the DVDs. This allows a higher bitstream for the sound which creates a better sound quality. But, because of the lesser sound compression, the sound format takes up more room on the DVD causing DVDs in DTS format to have less extras, such as deleted scenes, different formats, so on and so on. From my experience with DTS (which honestly is not that much), the sound seems to have a little more clarity and volume. But, it is slight. Not a night/day difference at all.

------------------
My Site
Old 01-16-01, 10:47 AM

*bump*

So, the mods can kill this duplicate thread.