Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Operation Finale (2018, D: Wietz) S: Isaac, Kinglsey

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Oscar Isaac chases down one of the architects of the Holocaust in MGM’s first trailer for “Operation Finale,” the historical drama about the capture of Adolf Eichmann.

The trailer opens with Eichmann, played by Ben Kingsley, supervising the mass murder of hundreds of concentration camp prisoners, then defending his actions in a voiceover.

“You have no interest in what I have to say,” he says. “Unless it confirms what you think you already know. My job was simple: save the country I love from being destroyed. Is your job any different?”

Chris Weitz directs the drama from Matthew Orton’s screenplay about the capture of Eichmann, who organized the transport of Jews from all over Europe to concentration camps, where an estimated 6 million people were killed. When World War II was ending, Eichmann fled to his home country of Austria and then moved to Argentina. Eichmann was captured in Argentina in 1960 by the Mossad, Israel’s intelligence service, and following a trial in Israel, he was found guilty of war crimes and hanged in 1962 at the age of 56.

Isaac portrays Peter Malkin, the Mossad operative who led a group of Israeli spies searching for Eichmann in a “catch and extract” operation. He’s also producing along with Brian Kavanaugh-Jones and Fred Berger under their Automatik company and Inspire Entertainment’s Jason Spire. Matt Charman, who wrote “Bridge of Spies,” is executive producing along with Ron Schmidt.

“If you succeed, for the first time in our history, we will judge our executioner,” he’s warned at the end of the trailer. “If you fail, he escapes justice, perhaps forever. I beg of you, do not fail.”

The film also stars Lior Raz, Melanie Laurent, Nick Kroll, Joe Alwyn, Haley Lu Richardson, Michael Aronov, Ohad Knoller, Greg Hill, Torben Liebrecht, Mike Hernandez, Greta Scacchi and Pêpê Rapazote. “Operation Finale” hits theaters on Sept. 14.
Old 08-27-18, 07:13 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Operation Finale (2018, D: Wietz) S: Isaac, Kinglsey

Opens this Wednesday. Currently 58% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/operation_finale
Old 08-27-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

It looks interesting, particularly with Isaac in the lead, and Kingsley as Eichmann, but the fact it's coming out at the end of August raises some red flags. Sort of like the "Papillon" remake, which seems to have barely gotten a release, and I've heard almost nothing about.
Old 08-27-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

When I saw the preview for this I thought it was a TV movie and I didn't notice that was Isaac at all. Not something I would need to see in the theater.
Old 08-28-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw a preview, the first hour flew by, but then slowed waaaaaaay down until the last 15 minutes. Did not like the little bits of comedy in such a serious movie.
Old 08-28-18, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Technically opens tomorrow but my local ArcLights already have a bunch of Tuesday night showings. I'll wait for the BD.
Old 02-09-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I am in the minority but I thought it was great though strange to release a movie with this subject matter in Aug 2018.

Isaac and Kingsley were great in it.