Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Metropolis -- coming DC streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 12:15 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Metropolis -- coming DC streaming service

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s… life in Metropolis before Superman.

A new live-action series titled Metropolis will show us the lives of Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane and evil mastermind Lex Luthor prior to the Man of Steel’s arrival, Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment announced on Tuesday. The drama — which, like the superhero team-up Titans, will stream on the upcoming DC digital service — will go into production later this year on a 13-episode first season, with an eye on a 2019 pemiere.

Gotham executive producers John Stephens and Danny Cannon teamed up to write the story and will serve as EPs on the project. Stephens will pen the pilot, with Cannon directing.

DC’s digital service, debuting later this year, already has a few other series lined up for comic-book fans, including the aforementioned Titans and the animated shows Harley Quinn and Young Justice: Outsiders. Of course, Metropolis isn’t the only Superman prequel in the works, either: Syfy’s Krypton, centering on Supes’ grandfather two generations before his home planet is destroyed, premieres in March.
http://tvline.com/2018/01/30/metropo...or-dc-digital/
Old 01-30-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Metropolis -- coming DC streaming service

I don't like the idea of this DC streaming service, but they are really putting some content behind it. I can appreciate that.
Old 01-30-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Sounds like it could have potential to be something interesting.

I’m not the biggest fan of the idea of a strictly DC streaming service either but it does seem like they’re putting some effort into making it worthwhile with new content. I may be tempted to try it. I think a WB service would be a better idea. Have their films, shows, classic animation, and DC content in one service. I think that would sell me easier.
Old 01-30-18, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

How are they going to judge the worthiness of these shows going forward? Percentage of subscribers that watch? Because I can't imagine the subscriber base for a DC-only service is going to be that big (if anything, I'll subscribe once everything comes out, binge, then cancel)
Old 01-30-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

This DC streaming service is probably going to get the same lukewarm reaction that CBS All-Access has been getting. It's obvious only a very small amount of the U.S. TV viewers will actually subscribe to this. It's way too niche a service with too niche content to appeal to the masses. Who has time to watch all these niche shows?

I give them credit that they are trying to create the content, but I can't imagine this service will make any kind of money (at least starting out)

As for Metropolis, I guess this will be a wait and see thing.
Old 01-30-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Wow, another DC show that they're going to make a pain in the ass to watch. Fuck this exclusive Streaming Service shit.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-01-18 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://io9.gizmodo.com/lois-lane-an...ive-1822556169

Announced today by DC, Metropolis will follow versions of Lois Lane and Lex Luthor before Clark Kent made himself known as Metropolis’ protector. Weirdly enough, they’ll be working together, to “investigate the world of fringe science and expose the city’s dark and bizarre secrets.” So... Gotham, but in Metropolis?
Uh... ok. I'm not exactly sure who was demanding a Lex Luthor/Lois Lane X-files show, but ok. Can't wait for Steve Trevor's howling commandos next, and then the romance between a lighthouse keeper and an atlantean.
Old 01-30-18, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

DC is trying to justify this streaming service by throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. It seems that there is going to be a lot of shit on that wall drooling to the floor.
Old 01-30-18, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Think I saw this one already - Smallville seasons 6-10!
Old 01-30-18, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Would rather see The Kents.
Old 01-30-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

This could be interesting, but DC already sold me on their streaming service before this announcement.

I think this is the company's play for that crowd that grew up with Smallville and are now adults.
Old 01-30-18, 11:07 PM
Banned

I don't really have much interest in these services because most of them offer bare bones apps- low-bitrate 720p (sometimes 1080p), 2.0 sound.

Because there are so many of these streaming services they need to start bundling them in a more affordable package.
Old 01-30-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
I don't really have much interest in these services because most of them offer bare bones apps- low-bitrate 720p (sometimes 1080p), 2.0 sound.

Because there are so many of these streaming services they need to start bundling them in a more affordable package.
That's kind of what VRV is, but the point of the major companies having their own streaming services is to capture their own customers, not share them in a bundle with others, I would think.
Old 01-31-18, 06:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
That's kind of what VRV is, but the point of the major companies having their own streaming services is to capture their own customers, not share them in a bundle with others, I would think.
I realize that, but with so many of them popping up I can't forsee them lasting long-term unless they start to bundle like cable channels. This is the result of so many people cutting the cord.
Old 05-02-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2018/05/swamp-th...se-1202381370/

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/02/m...-delayed-2019/

Delayed

Being redeveloped. Meaning they will probably hire a new creative team and re-work the pitch/scripts.

Probably they determined the original pitch didn't work.
Old 05-02-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why DC keeps thinking we want to see shows about events before anything of importance happened.
Old 05-02-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

A third series revolving around Superman but without Superman. Genius. I mean, what the fuck DC? Grow a pair. They're starting to make 90's Lois & Clark look like a daring and edgy show for actually showing Superman.
Old 05-02-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
A third series revolving around Superman but without Superman. Genius. I mean, what the fuck DC? Grow a pair. They're starting to make 90's Lois & Clark look like a daring and edgy show for actually showing Superman.
I'm assuming you haven't watched Krypton on SyFy. But at least that series has a time travel element that is tying in an event in the past that could potentially wipe out Superman from existence in the present.
Old 05-02-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm assuming you haven't watched Krypton on SyFy. But at least that series has a time travel element that is tying in an event in the past that could potentially wipe out Superman from existence in the present.
Yeah but the show is sooo boring. And don’t they have lights on Krypton
Old 05-03-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm sure a ton of villains would start showing up *like Gotham* before Superman ever arrives. Or they fast track it and get him on the show. All people are going to do is wait for it to become a Superman show.