Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Tower -- TV series -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 10:19 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

As the long-awaited feature film take on The Dark Tower is poised to open at the box office, the potential TV series is taking a big step forward.

Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead) has been tapped to serve as showrunner on the TV adaptation of the ambitious Stephen King series. The TV take, envisioned as a straight-to-series project, is currently in its early stages and tapping a showrunner is the key first step. A network is not yet attached. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that it is being eyed for a short-order (between 10 and 13 episodes) and a home on cable or streaming outlets by producers Media Rights Capital and Sony Pictures Television. Production is eyed to begin in 2018, though nothing is locked in given all the variables.

"I’ve been a Stephen King fan for decades and the opportunity to adapt The Dark Tower as a TV series is a great honor," Mazzara tells THR. "The events of The Gunslinger, Wizard & Glass, The Wind Through the Keyhole, and other tales need a long format to capture the complexity of Roland's coming of age — how he became the Gunslinger, how Walter became the Man in Black, and how their rivalry cost Roland everything and everyone he ever loved. I could not be more excited to tell this story. It feels like being given the key to a treasure chest. And oh yeah, we’ll have billy-bumblers!"

The feature film, which opens Friday and is already generating mixed reviews, is considered to be independent from the TV series — though there is some overlap. Slated to appear in the series are Idris Elba, who stars as Roland Deschain (aka the Gunslinger); Dennis Haysbert (as Roland's father, Steven Deschain); and young star Tom Taylor (Jake Chambers, the son-like figure to the Gunslinger). The potential TV series will revolve around a younger Roland and his group — with those roles currently uncast. The TV entry will be based on Wizard in Glass, the fourth book in The Dark Tower series. While insiders do not see the potential TV series as a prequel, an origin story is more appropriate to describe the vision for the project.

Akiva Goldsman — who was originally slated to pen the script when the TV series was set up at Universal — is attached to exec produce alongside his Weed Road Pictures president of production Gregory Lessans. Imagine TV's Ron Howard and Brian Grazer are also on board as exec producers. Feature film director Nikolaj Arcel and co-writer Anders Thomas Jensen are collaborating on the script. Mazzara will oversee day-to-day operations on the ambitious project.

Mazzara was The Walking Dead's second showrunner, coming in to replace Frank Darabont on the AMC zombie drama. His TV credits include A&E's Damien as well as Crash, The Shield and Life. He's repped by CAA.

The Dark Tower is in theaters Friday.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...runner-1026382
Old 08-03-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: The Dark Tower -- TV series -- news, rumors, etc.

Bad reviews and word-of-mouth will kill the movie... and potentially derail this TV show.
Old 08-03-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Isn't about three-quarters of Wizard and Glass a flashback to teenage Roland? Idris Elba couldn't convincingly play someone who's so young that villains initially don't take him seriously. Either they'd have a big muscular dude playing teenage Roland, or they would need to cast an exciting young actor who'd have to carry much of the series.

I suppose they could do a CGI extravaganza like skinny Chris Evans in the first act of Captain America, the First Avenger. But that's not cheap.
Old 08-03-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

i loved W&G.. by far my fav
that said.. i cant see how the movie is going to work.. definitely not with the trailers Ive seen so far..
that said.. hopefully they still make an entertaining rendition

Im re-reading the books.. back up to halfway through waste land... but i doubt re-reading will make much difference, with all the liberties hollywood is gonna take
Old 08-03-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Isn't about three-quarters of Wizard and Glass a flashback to teenage Roland? Idris Elba couldn't convincingly play someone who's so young that villains initially don't take him seriously. Either they'd have a big muscular dude playing teenage Roland, or they would need to cast an exciting young actor who'd have to carry much of the series.

I suppose they could do a CGI extravaganza like skinny Chris Evans in the first act of Captain America, the First Avenger. But that's not cheap.
They could take the approach of AMC's "The Son" with Pierce Brosnan, where each episode features extensive flashback sequences with a young Brosnan played by another actor (who, unfortunately, looks nothing like him).
Old 02-24-18, 12:00 PM

This article makes mention that Amazon is developing the series.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/culture-...ly-1202297416/

As part of the effort, Amazon made a mega deal for a Lord Of the Rings TV series and is developing a slew of high-profile titles, including The Dark Tower, Wheel of Time, Ringworld, Lazarus and Snow Crash.
Old 02-24-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Intrigued ... go on ...
Old 02-25-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

They need to divorce this from any movie connection and start fresh if they want any chance of success.
Old 02-25-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I haven’t watched any of Amazon’s series yet, although I am eagerly anticipating Jack Ryan, but this news gives me a lot more hope than to read that AMC or TNT were developing it.

Though, still not as much hope as I’d have if HBO or Netflix were developing the series.
Old 03-21-19, 11:32 AM

Amazon’s adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower book series has found its Gunslinger. Sam Strike (Nightflyers) has been cast as the lead, Roland Deschain, in the project, which I hear is nearing a formal pilot order at the streaming platform.

Jasper Pääkkönen (Vikings, BlacKkKlansman) will co-star in the drama, from executive producer/showrunner Glen Mazzara and MRC. The project had had a blinking green light for a couple of months, with casting quietly underway. It had been in development at Amazon for almost a year.

The Dark Tower TV series is independent from the film and is meant to be a more faithful retelling of the book than the movie was. I hear it will take place many years before the events depicted in the feature and will focus on Roland Deschain’s (Strike) origin story – how he first became a gunslinger and got his guns, his first conflict with the man in black, his first love and his first mission as a gunslinger.

Pääkkönen is believed to be playing Marten, the character Roland is out to kill.

The 2017 Sony/MRC feature The Dark Tower starred Idris Elba as Roland Deschain.

King’s eight Dark Tower books draw from multiple genres, including dark fantasy, science fantasy, horror, and Western.

Strike is coming off a series regular role on the Syfy/Netflix series Nightflyers, based on the novella by George R.R. Martin. The English actor launched his acting career with main roles on the British series M.I. High and EastEnders. He will next be seen in the HBO/Sky miniseries Chernobyl and will reprise his guest starring role on the second season of David Fincher’s Netflix series Mindhunter. He is repped by Gersh, Circle of Confusion and UK’s The Artists Partnership.

Finnish actor Pääkkönen played Halfdan the Black on History’s Vikings and recently co-starred in Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman.
https://deadline.com/2019/03/the-dar...er-1202556652/
Old 03-21-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never heard of the actors, but this is encouraging news. Divorcing it from the movie, abandoning the whole multi-media concept ... somebody is remembering the face of his father.
Old 03-21-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Casting a 25 year old actor? I would hope that would mean they were shooting Wizard and Glass type stuff.
Old 03-21-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Aging an actor is pretty common and easy these days... see the latest True Detective.
Old 03-21-19, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Casting a 25 year old actor? I would hope that would mean they were shooting Wizard and Glass type stuff.
pretty sure that’s exactly what they’re doing.
Old 03-22-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Jasper Pääkkönen was one of the few bright spots in Vikings after Ragnar left the show. He is one of the tated up brothers that end up getting killed by one another IIRC.
Old 04-22-19, 10:25 AM

In this article, it mentions Jerome Flynn will be a part of the cast:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...cting-14439301
Old 04-22-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Who is working on The Stand remake? It would cool if they could have one studio work on these King stories.
Old 04-22-19, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Who is working on The Stand remake? It would cool if they could have one studio work on these King stories.
CBS All Access.

Old 06-10-19, 02:01 PM

Michael Rooker has been cast in the Amazon Studios adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower, currently filming the pilot episode on location in Croatia.

Rooker’s role in the series pilot is still being kept under wraps, but there is no lack of information and speculation around the much-anticipated series. Variety previously reported that Sam Strike will play Roland Deschain, aka The Gunslinger, while Jasper Pääkkönen is believed to be playing The Man in Black, also known as Randall Flagg.

The series will consist of a total of 13 episodes, developed by Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead), Akiva Goldsman (Titans, Star Trek: Discovery) and writer Stephen King. The Dark Tower will tell the story of how Roland became a gunslinger and his first encounter with the villainous Man in Black. The Dark Tower is scheduled for release in 2020.
'The Dark Tower' Filming in Croatia | Michael Rooker Online
Old 06-10-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

If this is the Mejis / Susan story line as I've heard rumored I would guess Rooker to be a big coffin hunter. Perhaps Jonas who IIRC was the head of the group....
Old 06-11-19, 05:22 AM

My guess would be that Rooker plays Cort.
Old 06-11-19, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

If this were the Stand discussion he'd make a great Trashcan Man.
Old 01-15-20, 07:12 PM

No longer moving forward at Amazon:
https://deadline.com/2020/01/the-dar...rd-1202830606/
Old 01-16-20, 07:19 AM

Well, damn.
Old 01-16-20, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The pilot was shot and was ... shit?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.