Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Tower -- TV series -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Dark Tower -- TV series -- news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: The Dark Tower -- TV series -- news, rumors, etc.

I was under the impression the movie didn't go over so well... so was surprised this was even thought about to begin with, yet not surprised it is basically dead in the water now.
Old 01-17-20, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't know how you adapt this... there are just too many franchises tied in and, quite honestly, there'a LOT of down time and weird shit you can only appreciate if you're reading.
Old 01-17-20, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

There are plenty of ways to adapt this, but (IMO) the successful adaptation will have to play the long game. It is an epic story. While it has many stops along the way, picking out one story to tell does not necessarily feed into the whole arc. The movie did just that (told one adventure story) and it sounds as if this attempt did also. (As much as I love the books, they honestly didn’t play the long game very well either. Roland’s tale came out, but there were lots of detours along the way.)

As for the “properties” involved, those are all interchangeable with other things. A faithful-to-the-word adaptation will never work; it needs a spiritual adaptation.

I would love to see this pilot out of morbid curiosity.
Old 10-07-22, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

been seeing this rumor of Mike Flannigan wanting to do something with the Dark Tower.
https://www.joblo.com/the-dark-tower-mike-flanagan/ a bit more at the link...

One of pop culture’s newest masters of horror, Mike Flanagan, is about to have his new series, The Mightnight Club, unleashed on Netflix. Drawing inspiration and its title from the 1994 novel by Christopher Pike, this ten-episode series was created by Flanagan and Leah Fong. They also serve as executive producers alongside Trevor Macy, Julia Bicknell, and Christopher Pike. The series debuts on Netflix on October 7, but The Midnight Club isn’t the only piece of classic horror literature on Flanagan’s mind.

Speaking exclusively with Flanagan and producer Trevor Macy via Zoom about The Midnight Club, JoBlo’s Alex Maidy pointed out a Dark Tower Easter egg in the series. After confirming the nod to the Stephen King classic series of novels, Alex asked if there were any chance the duo would adapt King’s epic tale for a series or film. Flanagan replied by saying The Dark Tower is “1000% a dream project.”

While the will is strong, Flanagan also recognizes that The Dark Tower is a “development and rights nightmare.” However, He says they are “going to keep pushing to try and make it happen until someone stops them.”

Set in a world of ominous landscape and macabre menace, The Dark Tower series features one of Stephen King’s most powerful creations—The Gunslinger—a haunting figure who embodies the qualities of the lone hero through the ages, from ancient myth to Western frontier legend. As Roland crosses a desert of damnation in a treacherous world that is a twisted image of our own, he moves ever closer to the Dark Tower of his dreams—and nightmares.
Old 10-07-22, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I think The Dark Tower is unfilmable.

There's so much weird shit and so many connections to King's other works that I just don't think it would work (budget-wise, legally, and creatively). So much stuff would need to be changed that it would have little resemblance to the novels it would turn off King fans and still probably confuse and bore mainstream audiences.
Old 10-08-22, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think The Dark Tower is unfilmable.

There's so much weird shit and so many connections to King's other works that I just don't think it would work (budget-wise, legally, and creatively). So much stuff would need to be changed that it would have little resemblance to the novels it would turn off King fans and still probably confuse and bore mainstream audiences.
I still disagree with this viewpoint. By sticking to this view and thinking it has to be a wrote recreation, yes, it likely would be unfilmable. Granted it has been quite a while since I have read the series, but I don't think changing IP-related items would not fundamentally change the story at all. Sure, you might lose a few gags, but there isn't anything you couldn't work out without the trademarked stuff.

As for the internal connections to his other works, I think you could pretty well leave those without any hiccups. People who know them will get the Easter egg, people who don't know those references won't miss much. Sure, it enriched the reading experience, but you didn't HAVE to know any of references.

The major change ... has to be the "big twist." That has to go.

I always dreamed of trying to write an adaptation. Now that I'm teaching (English, no less), maybe that will be my summer.
Old 12-08-22, 09:33 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
been seeing this rumor of Mike Flannigan wanting to do something with the Dark Tower.
https://www.joblo.com/the-dark-tower-mike-flanagan/ a bit more at the link...
Well... he got his dream...

DEADLINE: Speaking about projects based on well-known IP, is there something you have in the works in that area?

FLANAGAN: You’re the first person we’re saying it to, but yes. Predating our deal with Amazon, we acquired the rights to The Dark Tower, which if you know anything about me, you know it has been my Holy Grail of a project for most of my life. We actually have those rights carved out of our Amazon deal, which doesn’t mean that they can’t or won’t get behind it at some point — you don’t know. But that’s something we’ve been developing ourselves and are really passionate about finally getting it up on its feet at some point.

DEADLINE: How far along are you in the development? Mike, you have shared your Dark Tower vision in interviews, so you must have at least a synopsis in mind. Are you planning to pitch the project around town?

FLANAGAN: I wrote a pilot, we view it as a as a series that’s going at least five seasons. And having lived with this project as long as I have, I have an enormous amount of it worked out in my brain. But I have a pilot script I’m thrilled with and a very detailed outline for the first season and a broader outline for the subsequent seasons. I think eventually, if we’re able to get it going, there are some other writers I want to fold into that process whom I’ve worked with before; I think they would be really fabulous for a very small, intimate writers room where we can continue to break it.

I’ll tell you, more than half of my life, I’ve closed my eyes and been able to watch a lot of this play out, I’ve dreamed about this. That first shot which comes right off at the first incredible sentence of the first book, The Gunslinger, I’ve had that image just rattling around in my head since I was an undergrad. It’s going to have to get out of there eventually, I really need to get it out of my head.

The pilot script is one of my favorite things I’ve ever gotten to work on. It’s been surreal working on that. So we’ve been floored and grateful that Stephen King trusts us with such an undertaking, something so precious to him, and we hope to find the right partners to realize it.

DEADLINE: Have you had conversations with Stephen King about The Dark Tower over the years and more recently when you were acquiring the rights? Have you discussed with him your plans for bringing the books to the screen?

FLANAGAN: Absolutely. This happened because I sent him a very, very detailed outline of what I wanted to do with it. And it was in response to that, that he gave us the rights. A project like this, I wouldn’t want to be involved in it at all If we were taking it in a direction that was going to be blasphemous to the Stephen King material, but he’s been very, very supportive and very excited about what we’d like to do with it.

DEADLINE: Initially, more than a decade ago, there were grand plans for a Dark Tower integrated film and TV universe. Is your adaptation strictly a television series?

FLANAGAN: Well, to be honest, the way that I have seen it breaking out is five seasons of television, followed by two stand-alone features. But I think our priority has been trying to get the television side of it going first. We’re not going to put the cart too far ahead of the horse on such a challenging project, but that I think is the perfect way to do it.

DEADLINE: Are you a little bit daunted by the fact that The Dark Tower is considered one of the hardest pieces of literature to be adapted for screen?

FLANAGAN: Oh, of course, we are very aware of that. I think we’ve had good and incremental practice to get there because people said Gerald’s Game was unfilmable; that was daunting. When Doctor Sleep came around, people were saying, oh my god of all the projects to take on, why would you step into the crosshairs there. So I feel like we’ve been gently preparing ourselves for this along the way, but yes, none of it is lost on me.

MACY: If you don’t fell intimidated, you are not doing it right.

FLANAGAN: Yeah, you have to be intimidated by it in order to do it properly. I think that’s absolutely right.

DEADLINE: The Dark Tower MRC pilot was one of the first projects Amazon Studios Head of TV Vernon Sanders worked on after joining the studio. They ultimately passed on it but clearly the company had interest in the IP. Have you spoken with him about potentially pitching your adaptation to them?

FLANAGAN: Oh, sure. They’re very aware of it. We’re just at the very beginning of this new relationship. We were careful to keep it carved out just in case, we would be fairly understanding of any institutional PTSD off of the other attempts they made at adapting it over there. So we wanted to keep that separate. But they’re absolutely aware of it, and if that’s something that they would be interested in, we’ll be thrilled.
https://deadline.com/2022/12/mike-fl...id-1235191018/
Old 12-08-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I really hope this comes to light. I've actually been listening to the audiobooks since October (about 8 hours left of the final book) and would love to see this as a series that gets to completion. I'd been starting to wonder if this would be, to me, what people thought when Lord of the Rings was considered impossible to turn into a movie.
Old 12-08-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am stoked!!! I really hope he knocks this out of the park!!!!
Old 12-08-22, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I started listening to the audiobooks when there were the first talks about a movie, years before they actually made the movie and I always pictured the story in a cinematic way.
I always thought the first book would be a bad way to introduce a show or a series of movies, but I do think there are creative ways to incorporate the first book. The Drawing of the Three is an easier access to the Dark Tower, since there are more relatable characters in there, but you need show Roland's past to really understand his development.
It's a thin line, perhaps using flashbacks between the drawing/introduction of the three could be enough. After that the story is much easier to tell. I want this so much and I'm so afraid they don't get it right the 2nd time either.
I think Idris Elba was one of the few good parts in the movie, but the moment he was cast, I knew they couldn't tell the story in the right way, since it's an elemental part of the story, that Detta is black and Eddie and Roland aren't.
Old 12-08-22, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

It's an ambitious project. With a planned five seasons, they could fit a lot of the story in there. I wish them the best.
Old 12-09-22, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I hope this happens. I also hope Flanagan will continue to land closer to Frank Darabont as opposed to Mick Garris quality wise when it comes to recurring King collaborators.
Old 12-09-22, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I started listening to the audiobooks when there were the first talks about a movie, years before they actually made the movie and I always pictured the story in a cinematic way.
I always thought the first book would be a bad way to introduce a show or a series of movies, but I do think there are creative ways to incorporate the first book. The Drawing of the Three is an easier access to the Dark Tower, since there are more relatable characters in there, but you need show Roland's past to really understand his development.
It's a thin line, perhaps using flashbacks between the drawing/introduction of the three could be enough. After that the story is much easier to tell. I want this so much and I'm so afraid they don't get it right the 2nd time either.
I think Idris Elba was one of the few good parts in the movie, but the moment he was cast, I knew they couldn't tell the story in the right way, since it's an elemental part of the story, that Detta is black and Eddie and Roland aren't.
I've always pictured that first shot/scene having to be Roland following The Man in Black across the dessert. There's enough in the first book for at least a half. They could always start with Younger Roland's tale from Wizard and Glass but then misses the iconic beginning of the series.
Old 12-09-22, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

There is a lot to like about Flanagan managing this project.... BUT, his recent shows on Netflix have each gone downhill. I am cautiously optimistic.
Old 12-09-22, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's imperative that they start with 'the man in black fled across the desert and from there I think they can use flashbacks from anywhere to tell a cohesive story. They can start with young Roland being pushed into taking the test early and then move forward from there. From the article, it sounds like the five seasons and 2 movies as a model he has quite a bit of the outline down in his mind which gives me hope for the project.
Old 12-09-22, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'd love to see an adaptation of this story done right, I've been reading it since the first book came out when I was a teenager.
Old 12-09-22, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I've always pictured that first shot/scene having to be Roland following The Man in Black across the dessert. There's enough in the first book for at least a half. They could always start with Younger Roland's tale from Wizard and Glass but then misses the iconic beginning of the series.
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" has to be the first shot, but they could then jump to Wizard and Glass, to show how they became enemies, before diving deeper into the story of The Gunslinger or flash forward to the Drawing of the Three an tell the first book in flashbacks. The Gunslinger as a book, just isn't mainstream enough, it's more or less a weird western, none of the characters are very likeable, including Roland. If you want to have a couple of seasons to tell all the stories, you have to start with something more relateable, which could either be The Drawing of the Three or Wizard and Glass.
Another possibilty could be, to compress the first book into a 70-minute-Pilot, since the book is quite short and end the first episode with the attack of the lobstrosities as a cliffhanger. I wouldn't spend a season or even half a season on the first book, if I wanted to grow an audience. Of course I'd watch it either way.
Old 12-09-22, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Book One:
Walking across the desert, day after day.
Meeting a hermit whom we'll never see again.
Flashback to a massacre. I think the massacre is the best part of the book. Creepy.
Picking up the boy.
Various flashbacks to Roland's youth.
Walking across the desert some more. At least there's dialog now.
Roland getting information from a demon. A hot lady demon!
Walking in a tunnel in complete darkness for days.
Lots and lots of talking at a campfire. We get an oracular description of the upcoming plot.

There is lots of monotony, it ends with lots of talk, and there's little action. It's dry and cerebral. This doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that will hold a lot of viewers. I'm afraid that if they made it the first season, only a few viewers would come back for a second season.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 12-09-22 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Runaway (12-09-22)
Old 12-09-22, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Book One:
Meeting a hermit whom we'll never see again.
Flashback to a massacre. I think the massacre is the best part of the book. Creepy.
Picking up the boy.
Various flashbacks to Roland's youth.
Walking across the desert some more. At least there's dialog now.
Roland getting information from a demon. A hot lady demon!
Walking in a tunnel in complete darkness for days.
Lots and lots of talking at a campfire. We get an oracular description of the upcoming plot.

There is lots of monotony, it ends with lots of talk, and there's little action. It's dry and cerebral. This doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that will hold a lot of viewers. I'm afraid that if they made it the first season, only a few viewers would come back for a second season.
When I started reading The Gunslinger, my uncle told me "If you don't like it, keep reading. The 2nd book is a lot better." He was right, but I did enjoy the first book a lot.
Old 12-10-22, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree the story cannot be told visually in the same progression as the books. Jumping all the way back to Wizards and Glass is too far to go backwards (no stakes). I always thought about following three timelines concurrently for the launch point: The Gunslinger interspersed sparingly with both Wizards and Glass and The Drawing of the Three.

The idea I like most is actually avoiding Roland altogether in the introduction and the whole first episode. Maybe a brief intro of the chase across the desert without context, then jump to Eddie, Susannah/Odetta/Detta, and Jake in "our" world. Live through their stories for a while, then bring the Drawing into it.

As much as I loved Wizards and Glass, I remember it feeling out of place, like a prequel dropped into the middle. It's been awhile since I read them, so I may be misremembering things, but another unusual strategy I would suggest is to stick with Roland's journey from the desert all the way up to the Tower, then drop back into W&G and play your way back to the introduction and start over.