Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Twin Peaks (S1E12) -- "The Return - Part 12" -- 7/30/17

Let's rock.
Old 07-30-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Twin Peaks (S1E12) -- "The Return - Part 12" -- 7/30/17

I don't even know where to begin...

I'm glad the focus was more on Twin Peaks and it seems like the outside storylines are on their way out or wrapped up already. Nice to see Sarah Palmer again and the actress did a great job with her two scenes. Still love seeing so much Hawk.

So, I waited until the 12th episode to see Audrey...and then I wish I hadn't. She hasn't aged the best, but that's not what I hated. They ruined a great character with one scene. Good lord. I wanted her to shut up the entire time she was onscreen. No wonder Sherilynn Fenn didn't seem to happy with her material. Awful character assassination. She was a delight in the original series, but this is what she turns into? Yikes. I wanted Cooper and Audrey to get together, but I think he'd be better off with Naomi Watts.

And, while I still like the show and appreciate the storyline moving gradually towards the town of Twin Peaks, I have to say that what's missing in the town is the homey feel of the original series. It just seems like the town has swollen to a Metropolis and we get random characters talking about things at the road house. I can't see where any of this is going, which wouldn't be such a bad thing if the pacing weren't so slow and we weren't running out of episodes.

No Dougie this week. Both good and bad. Good in the sense that we don't see him staring blankly at a wall, but bad in the sense that we are no closer to having him "wake up".

Oh, well. I enjoyed it. If they do a season 4, I just hope they choose to do a one day release of all episodes. I can't take this again. lol
Old 07-30-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm writing this one off. What isn't working far outweighs what is. No clear narrative. The main character that everyone wants to see is completely abandoned. The supporting cast everyone wants to see is abandoned. Silly side characters are still being introduced (which ironically is making this feel like season 2) and David Lynch has given himself more screen time and dialogue than any other character. From a creative perspective this has been profoundly disappointing. This is really the perfect example of why directors and writers need to be balanced with executive producers and network line producers.
Old 07-30-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I love the way Trick appeared out of nowhere to slide into the Roadhouse booth like Kramer on Seinfeld.

This episode felt like a stumble to me.

The Audrey scene made me sad. If this had happened in episode 3 or 4, I'd be hopeful this is the beginning of an "Audrey gets her mojo back' story arc, but I doubt that will happen. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw her again.

Originally Posted by starseed1981
David Lynch has given himself more screen time and dialogue than any other character.
At the end of this one, I expected the credits to start: Starring David Lynch
Old 07-31-17, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
No Dougie this week.
You must have blinked and missed it, but he did have a brief scene.
Old 07-31-17, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Audrey has become an actress and that was a scene from "Invitation to Love" that is now a cable show.
Old 07-31-17, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by windom
You must have blinked and missed it, but he did have a brief scene.
I did go to the bathroom at one point, so I guess that was the part I missed.
Old 07-31-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

For the first 35-40 minutes I was really loving this episode. Most of the time when the action is focused on Twin Peaks, I'm all in. Grace Zabriskie was great last night and I actually feel like the various story threads are coming together in a somewhat coherent way even if I couldn't explain it all if someone asked me to.

That said, once Audrey finally made her debut, I kind of checked out. More so than anything else this season, this felt like Lynch trolling the audience. I don't really think that's how he rolls, but that doesn't make it any less unsatisfying. For it to come so late in the season is the real punch in the gut. I also continue to be mystified at how much lip service Harry is getting. Unless he's going to be making a surprise appearance before the season is over or his character serves some genuine purpose to the story, I just wish everyone would shut up about him so that I can stop being bummed out that Michael Ontkean wasn't able to/chose not to be a part of this new season.
Old 07-31-17, 09:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

About 50% of this episode was people talking about off-screen characters we've never met.
Old 07-31-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I had mixed feelings after this one and like most was disappointed with Audrey's introduction but on re-watching that scene today I had a very different response.

Just seeing Charlie with his stacks of papers and paperweights, his old rotary phone, his reluctance to go out, mentioning how sleepy he is, Audrey's insults and impatience, the myriad of people they mention, I enjoy the hell out of it. The actor playing Charlie is terrific. So on it's own it's a fun scene but can't say I like where Audrey as a character is but time is a bitch.

I'm confused by the revisiting of Dr. Amp and Nadine. No idea what's going on there. There were probably too many drawn out scenes for one episode and these roadhouse bits with people we've never seen before is additional frustration.

Some intriguing moments with Sarah Palmer which is bound to be followed up on. Something weird going on in her house. Again given the pace it was a bit frustrating there wasn't more payoff in this ep.

Maybe there is a code to what what happening with Gordon and that woman but if so FWWM did it a whole lot better. Shorter with great music and explanation. On a side note it was cool to hear Chet Desmond's name again. Really hoped we'd get Chris Isaac in this revival.

My favorite line this week: "Next stop, Wendy's."
Old 07-31-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

And here I thought she just didn't like Turkey Jerky.

Old 08-01-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

What happened to you, Audrey? I'm not talking about your appearance. We all agree, no big deal. But when did you become so shrill and awful? Clearly life hasn't been good to you in these last 25 years.

I'm hoping there's still more to her story. Maybe seeing Cooper will snap her back into the old Audrey or at least something closer.

For me, that has been the one really big misstep in the season, and it is a big one. But I have some hope now that things seem to be converging more on Twin Peaks.
Old 08-01-17, 11:31 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Maybe Evil Cooper had his way with her while she was in a coma. Impregnating her with that little shit Richard and changing her essence.
Old 08-01-17, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I definitely think evil Cooper figures into it, even if only that he's the father.
Old 08-01-17, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

The general theory is that Audrey is either (a) still in a coma and dreaming all we saw or (b) the victim of massive head trauma and delusional and her "husband" in this scene is actually her psychologist.

BTW, I got to see this episode in the real-life Roadhouse with Sabrina Sutherland and other cast members (Chrysta Bell, Kimmy Robertson, Jeremy Lindholm and Jon Pirruccello). Lynch was watching along at home and texted the fans before and after the episode.
Old 08-02-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The general theory is that Audrey is either (a) still in a coma and dreaming all we saw or (b) the victim of massive head trauma and delusional and her "husband" in this scene is actually her psychologist.

BTW, I got to see this episode in the real-life Roadhouse with Sabrina Sutherland and other cast members (Chrysta Bell, Kimmy Robertson, Jeremy Lindholm and Jon Pirruccello). Lynch was watching along at home and texted the fans before and after the episode.
I would actually like either explanation better than what we got, although option b works better for me.

Wow, that had to have been awesome. If I lived on that side of the country, I would be all about trying that myself.
Old 08-03-17, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was one interesting scene with Audrey. Damn Charlie wouldn't tell her what was said! Bastard!