Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Pricing Story Coming Up On CNBC

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Pricing Story Coming Up On CNBC

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-00, 05:47 PM
FSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At 3:00 PST, they report on how their multiple pricing tests have hurt them.
Old 09-27-00, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can't hurt something already in pain
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AMZN&d=t
Old 09-28-00, 08:50 AM
Cool New Member

This was clipped from Yahoo news
----------------------------------------
The company paid an average of $3.10 to each of the 6,896 customers who did not receive the lowest price during the program and pledged to charge only the rock bottom price during any future price tests.

``We've never tested and we never will test prices based on customer demographics,'' said Amazon.com Chief Executive Jeff Bezos, in a prepared statement. ``What we did was a random price test, and even that was a mistake because it created uncertainty for customers rather than simplifying their lives.''
------------------------------------------

What a bunch of sheit. I wonder if "rock bottom price" would include the $19.99 Brazils????

Amazon sucks.

Dan
Old 09-28-00, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and what about my rock bottom order of the 83% off Jet-Li box set ??

who defines what "rock bottom" and what "mispriced" is ???

bezos of course !!!

------------------
I have to quit my job to have enough time to watch all these !!!
Old 09-28-00, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why don't I trust amazon?
Old 09-28-00, 11:44 AM

Starr Jones, the lawyer on The View is hopping mad at Amazon over this news. She does alot of shopping with Amazon. She said she just might call Jeff B and give him a piece of her mind.

She was talking about how she had bought all these Bibles ...etc. She probably wasn't a victim but the thing is now no one knows who was a victim.

If you were a victim of these supposed pricing errors you might want to compose a cogent letter and send it to Starr Jones.

The main thing is that there is an alleged email from Christopher Kenyon that Jet Li was a pricing test...yet the General Manager says to the DVD talk forum it wasn't. I wonder if he knew about the Kenyon letter.

You just can't trust Amazon

Old 09-28-00, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bandita:
You just can't trust Amazon<HR>

I've written it (twice) before and I'll write it again.

1) If Amazon really wanted to apologize, they'd foreclose the possibility of doing this in the future. But they didn't - their press release amounted to: "This was dumb, we're sorry we got caught, and we'll do something different the next time we price-test." They left the door conspicuously open for future price-testing.

2) Amazon is the company that took your personal information under a strict confidentiality agreement, and then without consulting any customers, threw away their policy and sold their information. What makes you think you can ever trust them again?

- David Stein

------------------
Be cause you told me to drill sear gant !
Old 09-28-00, 02:32 PM

The story about Amazon 'price test' & DVDTalk'ers made front page (A-1) of my local paper today.
Old 09-28-00, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

USA Today just mailed me, they’re doing a story on this too - check your mail boxes. Do you get the feeling Amazon is beginning to regret this?
Old 09-28-00, 04:13 PM

Dosen't make you feel good all over to know that when people ban together on a common cause you can make things happen...
Old 09-28-00, 04:28 PM

Don't you realize that there is no "bad" press. With millions of customers out there, do you really think that a bunch of whiners (and most of the time scam hunters) are really going to affect amazon. As an internet and entertainment lawyer, I can assure you that if the grandaddy of all e-tailers falls, they all will fall. Your days of CHEAP internet shopping will then be over. Then what will you have to do with your time.....
Old 09-28-00, 04:31 PM
uhh, Clem?

quote:<HR>Originally posted by daisycakes:
Don't you realize that there is no "bad" press.<HR>

Tell that to Dan Quayle.
Old 09-28-00, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am not involved directly in this story, since i didn't take part in the 'price test' (only 'cause i took a couple days off from the forum... oops!), but Amazon's blatant lies are really getting to me...

As reported on CNN just now, by Steve Young of Street Sweep:

- price tests on dvd's
- price tests were from 20% - 40% off
- 5 day period
- 6896 customers got average $3.10 refund

You guys should email Steve & other reporters directly with the evidence to counter these points that are absolutely false. The reports are misleading in that they are focusing on the fact that one person was charged more than others, and they all found out in chat rooms that people got cheaper prices.

My understanding from you guys is that this isn't correct: you, the customer, were given different prices AFTER you purchased the item at the low price.

Please i encourage you to inform these reporters they are focusing on the wrong angle of the story!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-00, 09:33 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by daisycakes:
Don't you realize that there is no "bad" press. With millions of customers out there, do you really think that a bunch of whiners (and most of the time scam hunters) are really going to affect amazon. As an internet and entertainment lawyer, I can assure you that if the grandaddy of all e-tailers falls, they all will fall. Your days of CHEAP internet shopping will then be over. Then what will you have to do with your time.....<HR>

I can tell you that everyone I tell or reads the story will not buy another thing from those guys. It starts there and pretty soon nobody is buying from them, and if they go under then so be it. They can't even get their story straight.... I also do not agree with your statment that if Amazon.con fails then they all will fail. I did not cheat them, but they sure tried to cheat me...

[This message has been edited by patrckpiteo (edited September 28, 2000).]
Old 09-28-00, 10:31 PM
FSA

Another story: From PC World-http://www.pcworld.com/cgi-bin/pcwtoday?ID=18707
Old 09-28-00, 11:40 PM

I actually spoke with the reporter from USA Today via telephone today. She was surprised to hear that Amazon had price tests going for 50% off DVD's right now. I gave her the link. I also told her how frustrated those of us were that ordered the Jet Li Collection and how Amazon had handled this.

I didn't feel that it was right to completely bash Amazon. However, I did convey the sentiments of DVDtalkers and let her know that if we, as bargain hunters, were treated like this, how could this mentality and treatment not end up affecting other clientelle?

Old 09-28-00, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bandita:
Starr Jones, the lawyer on The View is hopping mad at Amazon over this news. She does alot of shopping with Amazon. She said she just might call Jeff B and give him a piece of her mind.

She was talking about how she had bought all these Bibles ...etc. She probably wasn't a victim but the thing is now no one knows who was a victim.

If you were a victim of these supposed pricing errors you might want to compose a cogent letter and send it to Starr Jones.
<HR>

LOL.....Hahahahahahahah......*gasp*.....LOL...LMAO......HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry about that. When someone talks like that about Star Jones all serious and stuff, it makes me uncontrollably laugh....Wait...It's coming on again.....

------------------
"I don't smoke, you don't drink and Bob here wouldn't even think about lusting after a woman. Between the three of us we're practically Jesus."
Old 09-29-00, 12:20 AM

If USA Today or any other service doing a story on "ScAmazon" wants to talk with me, they are more than welcome.

email me @ [email protected]

It still bothers me that the whole Jet Li DVD (along with several other DVD's) pricing scandle was a mistake. How can the prices be lowered, corrected and they lowered again several hours later in the same day. I did not make a purchase during the morning "error" because I did not want to hassle with canceling an order. However, when it reappeared later in the day, I thought they might be reducing inventory or doing a "pricing" test. I picked up Steven Hawkin's Universe. Bam, the order is canceled a few days later. The explanation, pricing mistake. I don't believe it based on the information I stated above.

This is nothing new to all you DVD Talkers, but I am making a detail explanation for any reporters or ScAmazon employees lurking inside.

None of my future dollars, excluding gift certificates, will be spent at "ScAmazon".

Happy Fishing.
Old 09-29-00, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dano272:
This was clipped from Yahoo news
The company paid an average of $3.10 to each of the 6,896 customers who did not receive the lowest price during the program and pledged to charge only the rock bottom price during any future price tests
<HR>

You know, I don't particularly FEEL like doing exhaustive price comparison research on every movie I've ever bought from Amazon but...

They SAY that they've sent refunds to everyone ever overcharged, but I'll bet that it's only people who complained.

ONE MORE THING:

HEY NEWS GUYS. FOR YOUR NEXT AMAZON STORY, WHY DON'T YOU INVESTIGATE HOW OFTEN THEIR MSRPs ARE OUT OF DATE SO THAT THEIR CLAIMS OF A CERTAIN PERCENT DISCOUNT ARE ABSOLUTELY BOGUS.

[This message has been edited by jhlurie (edited September 28, 2000).]
Old 09-29-00, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Moving to On Line Store forum