Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15

AFTER 12 YEARS OF KEEPING HER POWERS A SECRET ON EARTH, KARA ZOR-EL, SUPERMAN'S COUSIN, DECIDES TO FINALLY EMBRACE HER SUPERHUMAN ABILITIES AND BE THE HERO SHE WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "SUPERGIRL," MONDAY, OCT. 26

Editor's note: The start and end times for this episode have changed.

Melissa Benoist, Calista Flockhart, Chyler Leigh, Mehcad Brooks, David Harewood and Jeremy Jordan Star

"Pilot" - After 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, Kara Zor-El, Superman's cousin, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be, on the series premiere of SUPERGIRL, Monday, Oct. 26 (8:31-9:31 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. The series moves to its regular time period (8:00-9:00 PM)
on Monday, Nov. 2.

SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El, Superman's (Kal-El)
cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents' help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex, and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later, at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant. She works alongside her friend and IT technician Winn Schott and famous photographer James Olsen, who Grant just hired away from the Daily Planet to serve as her new art director. However, Kara's days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw, head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime.

REGULAR CAST:

Melissa Benoist (Kara Danvers/Supergirl)
Calista Flockhart (Cat Grant)
Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers)
Mehcad Brooks (James Olsen)
David Harewood (Hank Henshaw)
Jeremy Jordan (Winslow "Winn" Schott)
GUEST CAST:

Laura Benanti (Alura)
Derek Mio (Hayashi)
Ben Begley (Tobey)
Faran Tahir (The Commander)
Owain Yeoman (Vartox)
Dean Cain (Dr. Jeremiah Danvers)
Helen Slater (Dr. Eliza Danvers)

Malina Weissman (Young Kara)
Jordan Mazarati (Young Alex)
Rick Garcia (Rick Garcia)
Leyna Nguyen (Leyna Nguyen)
Robert Gant (Zor-El)
Paul Stuart (Yale)
Nick Jaine (Another Staffer)
Sheila Collins (Passenger)
Chriss Anglin (Pilot)
Kinna Mcinroe (Waitress)
Briana Venskus (Tech Woman)
Julien Yuen (Terrified Teen)
Zayne Emory (Rick Malverne)
Mackenzie Brooke Smith (Female Student #1)
Jaidan Jiron (Female Student #2)
Tara Macken (Stunt Mother)

WRITTEN BY: Executive Producers Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Ali Adler

DIRECTED BY: Glen Winter

Premieres officially tonight.

Please No Spoilers if you watched the version that leaked earlier this year.

This is from the same creative team behind Arrow and The Flash.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5x4RgvxnqWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even though there's a glut of comic and superhero shows on network TV right now, I'm excited for this.

A few notable Superman universe alumnus are on this including Dean Cain and Helen Slater.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-26-15 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-26-15, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Supergirl (S1E01) -- "Pilot" -- 10/26/15

Behind the scenes of the Pilot. Interviews with the cast and creative team. Runs about 4 1/2 minutes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DkKa-x8lteA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-26-15, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not going to lie.. as a Smallville fan I'm a little nerd peeved that it's all *BAM* the full costume, the flying, the iconic move of opening the shirt to show the huge letter S. .etc etc all in the show's trailers..

Smallville fans put in 10 seasons worth of corn fields and caves (and more caves, always a damn cave) and pretty much never got as much as Supergirl brings in what I'm guessing is the first few eps. It's not even fair to all the support characters in Smallville who had to endure something like 100+ concussions each so they never saw *the blur* slow down.

I understand why that was the case with Smallville but still. boooooooooo*

*I'll still watch of course
Old 10-26-15, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your own damn fault for sticking with Smallville for so long.
Old 10-26-15, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

My girls are 7 and 10 and love superhero girls. Should this be OK to watch with them?
Old 10-26-15, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if anything was changed from the pilot that was released months ago?
Old 10-26-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
My girls are 7 and 10 and love superhero girls. Should this be OK to watch with them?
Yeah. I thought it was fine. My 10 year old niece plans to watch.
Old 10-26-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I was interested in this and may still watch it but honestly the last couple of promos I've seen for it make it look a bit on the corny side. Not sure if a series like this will work on a mainstream network like CBS but I guess we'll see.
Old 10-26-15, 08:22 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

So... what are the odds of this not finding an audience on CBS, getting cancelled, and moving to The CW?
Old 10-26-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I didn't watch this online earlier this year, choosing to wait until the show premiered. I imagine it will probably be closer in tone to the Flash than to Arrow. If that is the case, then it should be a lot of fun. Benoist had an earnest quality when she was on Glee.

Glad to see Helen Slater in the extended cast.
Old 10-26-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not digging the promos but will give it a shot.
Old 10-26-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Benoist had an earnest quality when she was on Glee.
Agreed. She was very likable when onscreen. (Just can't believe she married that doofy guy from the show IRL)

The Fappening seems to have not affected her career at all.
Old 10-26-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Warner Brothers studios hosted a screening of it earlier this year and Benoist attended. The audience was a bunch of young girls probably 12 and under. So I say yes. They created a promotional video for it that aired at some Regal theaters.
Old 10-26-15, 11:10 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Agreed. She was very likable when onscreen. (Just can't believe she married that doofy guy from the show IRL)

The Fappening seems to have not affected her career at all.
It really didn't hurt anyone's career. If anything, it helped.
Old 10-26-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
not going to lie.. as a Smallville fan I'm a little nerd peeved that it's all *BAM* the full costume, the flying, the iconic move of opening the shirt to show the huge letter S. .etc etc all in the show's trailers..

Smallville fans put in 10 seasons worth of corn fields and caves (and more caves, always a damn cave) and pretty much never got as much as Supergirl brings in what I'm guessing is the first few eps. It's not even fair to all the support characters in Smallville who had to endure something like 100+ concussions each so they never saw *the blur* slow down.

That's because the type of model that Smallville followed...well Flash kicked the shit out of it.

Thank God.
Old 10-26-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Why did this start a month after all of the fall shows started in September?
Old 10-26-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I didn't watch this online earlier this year, choosing to wait until the show premiered. I imagine it will probably be closer in tone to the Flash than to Arrow. If that is the case, then it should be a lot of fun. Benoist had an earnest quality when she was on Glee.

Glad to see Helen Slater in the extended cast.
Just saw Benoist in Whiplash a few nights ago. She's a cutie.
Old 10-26-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Even though I saw the pilot online, looking forward to this airing for real.
Old 10-26-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I was interested in this and may still watch it but honestly the last couple of promos I've seen for it make it look a bit on the corny side. Not sure if a series like this will work on a mainstream network like CBS but I guess we'll see.
It's very similar in tone to The Flash. Looking forward to watching it again in all honesty. Leaking the pilot was a great move by CBS
Old 10-26-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Watched it back in the Spring, but will watch again tonight. For the most part, I loved it. However, I'm still not sold on Jimmy Olsen being a roided out ladies man.

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I'm not digging the promos but will give it a shot.
The promos are misleading. It's very similar in tone/humor as the Flash.

Not the first few episodes... it's all in the pilot, tonight.

Mine are 9 & 11 and really liked it. Not as much as Flash, but we're just going off a single episode versus a full season of the Flash. They are looking forward to it tonight.
Old 10-26-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

But of course, we actually got a perfect Supergirl in costume on Smallville, flying around. I was shocked that the CW never tried spinning off Laura's Supergirl into her own show from Smallville. And yes, I despise Smallville for teasing us with a decade of the Blur. Now she's on a forgotten Canadian show that is barely hanging on.

People should enjoy this pilot, I imagine it has been refined even further since the leaked version months ago. It doesn't waste a lot of time with inessential scenes and introduces most of the show's intended formula going forward.

This show has a much bigger budget than Flash or Arrow. There is no chance the CW could afford it given their normal ratings. I think it's very curious that CBS placed it up against Gotham. DC fans are torn between supporting the shows. I guess they felt it was better than going up against Arrow or The Flash.
Old 10-26-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
DC fans are torn between supporting the shows.
For less than the price of a comic book a week, DC fans can afford a DVR.
Old 10-26-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Dammit. Since this show is on CBS it won't be on Hulu. Guess I'll have to wait till the full season is up eventually....
Old 10-26-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Dammit. Since this show is on CBS it won't be on Hulu. Guess I'll have to wait till the full season is up eventually....
I'm in the same boat. Hopefully the full season will be on Netflix next year.
Old 10-26-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It should be on CBS.com if you're unable to watch it on TV.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.