Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Podcasts

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-15, 12:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Comic Book Podcasts

Anyone listen to any?

So far, I've really only sampled Comixologist. I really enjoy it even without the free comic codes they often include.

On this morning's commute, I started 11 O'clock Comics podcast and think it could be another winner.

Anyone else?
Old 06-24-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic Book Podcasts

I listen to Cape Crisis but I am more of a casual comic book fan.
Old 06-25-15, 03:32 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While it is not always about comics, I really enjoy the Nerdist Writer's Panel podcast. It usually interviews tv writers about what it's like to pitch shows or what the writers room is like or the struggles of plotting out a typical season. But they don't just stick with tv drama writers. They've had on sitcom writers, cartoon writers, and, relevant to this topic, comic book writers. It's great to get a behind the scenes glimpse of what it's like to work on comics.
Old 06-25-15, 05:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

War Rocket Ajax is good. 11 O'clock is good.
Old 06-25-15, 08:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My favorites are Double Page Spread and Word Balloon.
Old 06-28-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried "Feed It Comics" podcast last night. Not very good. They were doing a full episode on Secret Wars so I thought I'd check it out.

Not very good.

They had read a poor selection of the books they were supposed to be covering. They were getting too many story details wrong considering they supposedly just read the books. They also weren't very good at describing the art. Which is something the 11 O'Clock podcast excels at.
Old 06-28-15, 03:33 PM

One problem I'm finding is that I'm not very current on my reading, and many of these podcasts seem to be for the reader that keeps up week to week. Some try to stay spoiler free, Comixologists is really good at that, but others have been ruining stories for me a bit. I'll probably just go with a pick and choose approach based on the episodes' descriptions.
Old 07-02-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
One problem I'm finding is that I'm not very current on my reading, and many of these podcasts seem to be for the reader that keeps up week to week. Some try to stay spoiler free, Comixologists is really good at that, but others have been ruining stories for me a bit. I'll probably just go with a pick and choose approach based on the episodes' descriptions.
Even worse, I don't read a lot of current stuff (most recent attempts were Infinite Crisis in floppy and New 52 in trade). I doubt there's a Back Issue podcast focusing on the Bronze Age.

I can't keep up with my sports podcasts anyway.
Old 07-06-15, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I think a lot of this stuff is on YouTube as well. Like others have said, too many spoilers for me to seriously follow any weekly podcast.
Old 07-06-15, 01:46 AM

I'm pretty much spoilerproof. 11 O'clock does a good job of not revealing the major stuff.
Old 07-07-15, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fatman on batman. they dont always talk about batman but either way its so good.

http://smodcast.com/channels/fatman-on-batman/
Old 08-02-15, 09:19 AM

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately.

Comixology added a second feed. In addition to their every Wednesday normal recommendations podcast they now have interviews on Mondays and Fridays.

King Size Comics Giant Sized Fun is one I've been enjoying. He only talks about/reviews the old 80 Page Giants, Treasury Editions, 100 Page Super Spectaculars, etc.

Comic Book Time Machine is decent.

Major Spoilers looks like it could be interesting.

Technoretro Dads had a couple episodes I enjoyed.

Dave Talks Comics had a couple Micronaut review episodes that I obviously enjoyed, but I'm not sure he's one I'll keep listening to.

Relatively Geeky Network is good.

I keep meaning to check out Cape Crisis and Comic Book Savant.

The Comic Book Attic had some fun episodes.

And I'm really enjoying 11 O'Clock Comics.
Old 08-07-15, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Tried "Feed It Comics" podcast last night. Not very good. They were doing a full episode on Secret Wars so I thought I'd check it out.

Not very good.

They had read a poor selection of the books they were supposed to be covering. They were getting too many story details wrong considering they supposedly just read the books. They also weren't very good at describing the art. Which is something the 11 O'Clock podcast excels at.
Feed It Comics is great what are you talking about?? I've listened to many comic podcasts, not everyone has to be obsessive about every detail - those kind of fans tend to be pretentious as hell anyways. The guys on FIC are funny and the production is far better than most of the shows out there.
Old 08-07-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777
I doubt there's a Back Issue podcast focusing on the Bronze Age.
Originally Posted by Trevor
King Size Comics Giant Sized Fun is one I've been enjoying. He only talks about/reviews the old 80 Page Giants, Treasury Editions, 100 Page Super Spectaculars, etc.
Wait, what?
Old 08-08-15, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sprizmo
Feed It Comics is great what are you talking about?? I've listened to many comic podcasts, not everyone has to be obsessive about every detail - those kind of fans tend to be pretentious as hell anyways.
It's not about knowing every detail. It's about the fact that hadn't read almost anything from the major crossover that their entire show was dedicated to. That is just lazy as hell. If you're doing a comic podcast you have responsibility to get your reading done in a timely fashion. Because if you don't there is always someone else out there who will.

Last edited by sven; 08-08-15 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-08-15, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RonG617
War Rocket Ajax is good. 11 O'clock is good.
I listened to EOC for years, and it is a really good show. I do think it lost a little something when Chris left the show, but it's still one of the best podcasts out there. I don't listen much anymore, simply because I've fallen a bit out of love with comics, but I check back in every so often to see what the boys are talking about.

I started listening to WRA in the spring and I enjoy this show a bunch. However, I only really like checks and recs section of the show. I almost never listen to the interviews. I also adore the Every Story Ever specials.

Originally Posted by dishpan
fatman on batman. they dont always talk about batman but either way its so good.

http://smodcast.com/channels/fatman-on-batman/
This show can be exceptional. Smith is such a great conversationalist. I tend to not care for interview shows, but the way he gets his guests to engage is just fantastic. The show format seems to have shifted more to Batman in media, but I hope he gets some more interviews with comic folks in the future. Would love to hear a Greg Rucka episode.

The only other comic podcast I listen to with regularity is The Uncanny X-Cast, and it's mainly because I enjoy the two hosts and their chemistry, not X-men comic talk.

There was a time when I probably was subscribed to a dozen comic podcasts, but interests shift overtime I suppose.
Old 08-09-21, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Been enjoying greatly the Cerebro podcast, which goes in-depth into the X-Men lore

https://www.connorgoldsmith.com/cerebro

Ed Piskor has a great podcast/vlog called Cartoonist Kayfabe that talks about books from the 80's and 90's, including recaps of Wizard Magazine issues.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (08-09-21)
Old 08-09-21, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I listened to the Library of American Comics podcast focusing on classic comic strips, but they haven’t posted in a while.

Classic Comics Forum tightly focuses on certain topics (Mike Grell Green Arrow, Steve Englehart Captain America, Red Sonja) that makes it easy to look for things I’m interested in. I’ve probably listened to a dozen of those. I started listening to another but realized they were showing stuff on YouTube so decided to wait till I could watch it then never got around to it.
Old 08-09-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Been enjoying greatly the Cerebro podcast, which goes in-depth into the X-Men lore

https://www.connorgoldsmith.com/cerebro

Ed Piskor has a great podcast/vlog called Cartoonist Kayfabe that talks about books from the 80's and 90's, including recaps of Wizard Magazine issues.

I love Cartoonist kayfabe, but some of the longer videos mean I’m way behind.