Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Turner Classic Movies' Summer of Darkness: tons of film noir and a free class

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

TCM Presents Into The Darkness: Investigating Film Noir
June 1 - Aug 4, 2015
Cost per enrollment: Free

Summer is cooler in the shadows.

We invite movie fans from around the world to join us for a flexible, multimedia investigation and celebration of film noir.

In this nine-week course, we’ll go back in film history to investigate the "The Case of Film Noir"—the means, motives, and opportunities that led Hollywood studios to make these hard-boiled crime dramas, arguably their greatest contribution to American culture.

This course will run concurrently with the Turner Classic Movies "Summer of Darkness” programming event, airing 24 hours of films noir every Friday in June and July 2015. This is the deepest catalog of film noir ever presented by the network (and perhaps any network), and provides an unprecedented opportunity for those interested in learning more to watch over 100 classic movies as they investigate “The Case of Film Noir.”

Both the course and the associated films will enrich your understanding of the film noir phenomenon—from the earliest noir precursors to recent experiments in neo-noir. You will be able to share thoughts online and test your movie knowledge with a worldwide community of film noir students and fans.

Course Outcomes

Students will
•gain a deeper appreciation of classic Hollywood movies
•be able to identify the characteristics of a film noir
•able to explain the origins and history of film noir
•be able to perform close analyses of films noir

Topics include
•What is Film Noir?
•Film Noir and Its Influences
•Film Noir in the Studio System
•Film Noir Themes and Characters
•Film Noir in the Postwar Period

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need access to TCM to participate in this course?
No. For non-TCM subscribers, we will have free links to online public domain films noir, so anyone can participate fully in this course.

How long is this course?
Nine weeks, since it is designed to run in conjunction with TCM's "Summer of Darkness."

Will this course offer a certificate of completion?
Yes.

What kind of time commitment may I expect?
For students who seek to complete the course, it will take between two and four hours each week, not including additional time to watch a few films noir each week on your own or on TCM. For students who wish to participate but are not interested in a certificate of completion, we still want you to be involved. This course is flexible in its design, and you may choose to do as much or as little as you have time for each week.

Are there any synchronous or live events in this course?
Yes. The course will use social media and Google Hangouts on Air to have a few live events. But in case you are not available when an event is occurring, an archived video copy will be available for later viewing.

Will the instructor be involved in the course?
Yes.
https://www.canvas.net/browse/bsu/tcm/courses/film-noir

24 hours of film noir every Friday in June and July? Damn. It's stuff like this that makes me wish I still had cable.

The event schedule can be found here: http://www.tcm.com/summerofdarkness/

The Ball State course should be fun. It's great that you don't actually need TCM to participate. I tried doing my own "Summer of Noir" last year and threw a bunch of those films in my Netflix and Amazon queues, but my interest kinda petered out. Since there's a free class about the genre, I might as well give it another try.

TCM already has a long thread for its Underground series, so I figured I'd start a fresh one for discussing their summer film noir programming. Anyone else going to do this class and/or check out the movies they'll be running?
Old 05-22-15, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Turner Classic Movies' Summer of Darkness: tons of film noir and a free class

Ooooooh.
Old 05-22-15, 02:58 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Turner Classic Movies' Summer of Darkness: tons of film noir and a free class

sounds pretty cool
Old 05-22-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

No Gun Crazy, no sale!

EDIT: June 12th at 9:45 PM. Probably my favorite noir of all time SALE!
Old 05-22-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Ooooooh.
I take it that you see Thief in the schedule.

I'll be tuning in (Or DVR'ing) to all these:
The Bribe
The Mask of Dimitrios
They Won't Believe Me
Danger Signal
The Threat
The People Against O'Hara
Blue Dahlia
(Finally get to see this one)
The Woman on Pier 13
Too Late for Tears
Roadblock
Talk About A Stranger
Split Second
Party Girl

Ones I recommend:
On Dangerous Ground
The Set-Up
Kansas City Confidential
(A Tarantino favorite)
Suddenly
Clash By Night
(Might be my most favorite Hollywood film made by Lang)
Conflict
99 River Street

Beware My Lovely (I wish this one was more well known. So Hitchcockian)
They Live By Night
Where Danger Lives
(Similar to Detour. But I like this one a lot more)

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 06-05-15 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-22-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh dear. My DVR does not have enough space.
Old 06-05-15, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump for today's start
Old 06-05-15, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I take it that you see Thief in the schedule.

I'll be tuning in (Or DVR'ing) to all these:
The Bribe
The Mask of Dimitrios
They Won't Believe Me
Danger Signal
The Threat
The People Against O'Hara
Blue Dahlia
(Finally get to see this one)
The Woman on Pier 13
Too Late for Tears
Roadblock
Talk About A Stranger
Split Second
Party Girl

Ones I recommend:
On Dangerous Ground
The Set-Up
Kansas City Confidential
(A Tarantino favorite)
Suddenly
Clash By Night
(Might be my most favorite Hollywood film made by Lang)
The Locket
99 River Street

Beware My Lovely (I wish this one was more well known. So Hitchcockian)
They Live By Night
Where Danger Lives
(Similar to Detour. But I like this one a lot more)
Thanks for the recommendations. I am not really a fan of film noir but I will definitely set the DVR to check some of these out. The recommendations help since I really don't know where to start.
Old 06-05-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Oh dear. My DVR does not have enough space.
A few of Mondo Kane's recommendations (thanks for those, btw!) are available on the Amazon and Netflix:

Party Girl (Amazon Prime)
Kansas City Confidential (Amazon Prime)
Suddenly (Amazon Prime and Netflix)
99 River Street (Amazon Prime and Netflix)

And if Thief is the 1981 James Caan film, that's on Netflix.

I would imagine some of the other scheduled movies are available there, too. Granted, TCM might have better transfers and you won't be getting its introductions, but that could alleviate a little bit of peoples' DVR problems.
Old 06-05-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Thanks for the recommendations. I am not really a fan of film noir but I will definitely set the DVR to check some of these out. The recommendations help since I really don't know where to start.
Originally Posted by DJLinus
A few of Mondo Kane's recommendations (thanks for those, btw!)
Oh wait, don't let my picks be the "Definitive" choices, now. There's still plenty of essentials in the genre to check out (i.e, Double Indemnity,Out of the Past---Though neither of which aren't scheduled to appear) I just have to admit that I'm really not a big fan of the *Spade/Marlowe, private-eye/gumshoe noirs. So almost all of my picks take place far away from those settings. Just wanted to clarify that.

*Lady in the Lake (Which airs on the 26th) is my favorite of those. It's got a gimmick that makes things refreshing to look at.

Oh, and (In my list) I meant to say that I feel that Clash By Night might be Lang's best Hollywood film. Fury (Which came on TCM a few nights ago) is my favorite Hollywood film by him.

EDIT-On my list, I previously had The Locket listed. I thought it was a (Good) Bogart film in which a certain locket is a big plot-point. Turns out The Locket is a Mitchum film that I haven't seen yet. The one that I thought it was is Conflict. Comes on July 17th.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 06-05-15 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-05-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I signed up.
Old 06-09-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched my first assignment for the class last night. As I don't have TCM, I had to go with the public domain option: Scarlet Street. (Amazon Prime has it, as well as Archive.org.) I don't have much experience with Edward G. Robinson, but I have enough that seeing him play the sad sack was a bit jarring. His character's name is Christopher "Chris" Cross, so every time it was spoken I had either "Sailing" or "Jump" playing in my head.

Also, what I heard as the phrase "for cat's sake" was used several times and I scratched my head since I'd never heard that before. (Where did Pete go?) But checking the IMDB boards for this movie, it's not "cat," but "cack," which is slang for shit. So that was a scandalous thing to say in a movie at the time.

That's one reason why I like watching these old films: for their time capsule nature.
Old 06-12-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Danger Signal earlier. Meh. Way too chatty.

Recording The Gangster and Tomorrow Is Another Day today but saving them for Sunday. Nightmare Alley (Coming on later tonight) is a good one.
Old 06-13-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I got 18/20 on the first quiz. I had forgotten what a term meant and thought that one of the T/F questions referred specifically to a different film (as opposed to both of those films, apparently).
Old 06-14-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
I got 18/20 on the first quiz. I had forgotten what a term meant and thought that one of the T/F questions referred specifically to a different film (as opposed to both of those films, apparently).
I've seen enough of the movies, but I'm afraid to take any kind of quiz regarding the genre. I'm afraid I'll even miss the most obvious ones.
Old 06-19-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Recording The Gangster and Tomorrow Is Another Day today but saving them for Sunday.
I liked the latter WAY more than the former. I guess my most favorite sub-genre of noir is the "Couple-on-the-run" category. There's just so many of those that I like.

Week #3's underway. Killers is on right now (I love both versions, but the remake's got more replay-value for me)
Old 06-19-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm picking and choosing from these ... of the ones I haven't seen that sound interesting and/or are acclaimed for being essentials of the genre. Battling keeping my DVR from filling is initiative to steadily watch So far, I've watched:

Woman on the Run: Nice mid-movie twist, great location shooting, and a truly thrilling finale at an amusement park.

Born to Kill: Damn, Lawrence Tierney makes a great bastard (and it sounds like he didn't need to stretch much from his real-life persona to play these roles). Surprisingly sordid and downbeat (even for Noir). Is there any genre that Robert Wise can't direct? Has there been a more diverse filmmaker? Musicals, gothic horror, children's fantasy, war movies, sports biography, westerns, romances, melodrama, sci-fi, historical epic, comedy ... and here film noir.

Nightmare Alley: Great twisted drama that shows Tyrone Power was more than a pretty-boy action star. It hurts a bit to see these older movies obviously pull punches at the end to get past the censors (the orginal Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Night of the Hunter are a couple others that struck me as wussing out at the end). But I know the filmmakers didn't have a choice, and it's still strong stuff.

Ministry of Fear: I've seen other Fritz Lang noir, but never got around to this one. A fun fast-moving movie.

I've got Detour, Gilda, and The Killers still waiting (maybe one other that I'm blanking on now)
Old 06-19-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I'm picking and choosing from these ... of the ones I haven't seen that sound interesting and/or are acclaimed for being essentials of the genre. Battling keeping my DVR from filling is initiative to steadily watch So far, I've watched:

Woman on the Run: Nice mid-movie twist, great location shooting, and a truly thrilling finale at an amusement park.

Born to Kill: Damn, Lawrence Tierney makes a great bastard (and it sounds like he didn't need to stretch much from his real-life persona to play these roles). Surprisingly sordid and downbeat (even for Noir). Is there any genre that Robert Wise can't direct? Has there been a more diverse filmmaker? Musicals, gothic horror, children's fantasy, war movies, sports biography, westerns, romances, melodrama, sci-fi, historical epic, comedy ... and here film noir.

Nightmare Alley: Great twisted drama that shows Tyrone Power was more than a pretty-boy action star. It hurts a bit to see these older movies obviously pull punches at the end to get past the censors (the orginal Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Night of the Hunter are a couple others that struck me as wussing out at the end). But I know the filmmakers didn't have a choice, and it's still strong stuff.

Ministry of Fear: I've seen other Fritz Lang noir, but never got around to this one. A fun fast-moving movie.

I've got Detour, Gilda, and The Killers still waiting (maybe one other that I'm blanking on now)
BORN TO KILL was quite controversial in its day. Postwar critics, the great moralists of their time, lambasted it. It's fun reading those old reviews.
Old 06-19-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I haven't seen Born To Kill in a really long time. The only thing I remember about it is the Jane Darwell-lookalike who headbutts(!) Lawrence Tierney
Old 06-26-15, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of good ones coming on today.

Three I haven't seen yet:
The Woman on the Beach
Mask Of Dimitrios
They Won't Believe Me

Some classics:
The Stranger (I strongly prefer this one over the likes of Lady/Shanghai and even Touch/Evil)
Lady in the Lake (My favorite Marlowe movie)
The Set-Up (It's good that this isn't regarded as just a boxing movie. Robert Ryan looked like he could've been Sterling Hayden's twin, BTW)
Out of the Past (I didn't see this in the schedule, originally. mahbad)
Old 06-26-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A lot of good ones coming on today.

Three I haven't seen yet:
The Woman on the Beach
Mask Of Dimitrios
They Won't Believe Me

Some classics:
The Stranger (I strongly prefer this one over the likes of Lady/Shanghai and even Touch/Evil)
Lady in the Lake (My favorite Marlowe movie)
The Set-Up (It's good that this isn't regarded as just a boxing movie. Robert Ryan looked like he could've been Sterling Hayden's twin, BTW)
Out of the Past (I didn't see this in the schedule, originally. mahbad)
Yeah, today looks really loaded. There's also (the original) The Postman Always Rings Twice and The Third Man. My DVR's going to fill up. I still have some from a couple of Fridays ago.

I did get a chance earlier in the week to watch Murder, My Sweet for the first time. What a fun, weird, if rather confusing, movie. Having recently watched the second Sin City movie, Murder My Sweet stands out as being the epitome of the kind of noir Frank Miller was paying homage to.
Old 06-26-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Out of the Past might be the purest definition of noir.
Old 06-27-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Detour was a bit of let-down, if only for the fact that it had been built up as one of the all-time greats. TCM's print being awful didn't help.

Gilda was a bit too melodramatic for my tastes. Though it's certainly worth watching, especially for Rita Hayworth's iconic role. It seems like sexuality in movies was allowed back to almost pre-code levels in these movies, as long as the ending made sure that crime didn't pay.

The Killers was a great movie ... complete absorbing throughout.
Old 06-27-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there any good print of Detour? It's fallen into the public domain now, is there a properly mastered HD version out there?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-28-15 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-28-15, 11:05 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee

[
In what way does Nightmare Alley wuss out in the end? The dude is
Spoiler:
doomed to be a carnival geek forever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.