Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Lawrence, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Lawrence, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
13.95%
34.88%
20.93%
9.30%
11.63%
6.98%
0%
2.33%
0%
0%
0%
The Hunger Games: Catching Wind
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 04:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" (Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Jack Quaid, Taylor St. Clair, Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, Elizabeth Banks)

Release Date:
11/22/2013

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence and action, some frightening images, thematic elements, a suggestive situation and language throughout.)

Running Time:
146min. (2h. 26m.)

Budget:
$140 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Katniss Everdeen has returned home safe after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark. Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a "Victor's Tour" of the districts. Along the way Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much in control as President Snow prepares the 75th Annual Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell) - a competition that could change Panem forever.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.4 (5,797 votes as of 11/18/13)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:31 Rotten:01 (97% as of 11/18/13)

Metacritic:
76 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 11/18/13)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="450"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/78782"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/78782" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="450"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
Old 11-21-13, 03:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Lawrence, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

bump for release.
Old 11-22-13, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it tonight and I was bored. Really bored. I didn't like the first one, but went to this with some friends and I just don't get why people like these movies.

I'll give it one thing, the terrible shaky cam from the first one is absent. The director handles the material more maturely, but the action is still pretty boring and the games in general just aren't as exciting as they were last time around.

Jena Malone and PSH stood out as my favorites in the film, the rest of the cast was...blah.

Last edited by Tarantino; 11-22-13 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 06:24 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I am the other side of the coin, I loved it. My wife and I went to the 10:15pm show last night. It was packed. The audience was very courteous and was really into it.

They hit all the high points of the book for me and moved things along rather well. There were some pretty tense moments which had the audience screaming, gasping and cheering.

I still don't care for Kravits as Cinna, but the others were well cast. Loved seeing Jena Malone, PSH, and Jeffery Wright.

Can't wait to take my teenagers to see it (as I will gladly see it again).

It's gonna be a long wait for the Mockingjay films.

I give it an A!
Old 11-22-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Saw it tonight and I was bored. Really bored. I didn't like the first one, but went to this with some friends and I just don't get why people like these movies.

I'll give it one thing, the terrible shaky cam from the first one is absent. The director handles the material more maturely, but the action is still pretty boring and the games in general just aren't as exciting as they were last time around.

Jena Malone and PSH stood out as my favorites in the film, the rest of the cast was...blah.
Holy shit! Tarantino's back! How did I miss this? Welcome back, buddy!
Old 11-22-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Ummm he's been back.

Interesting to see two polar opposite reviews. I wasn't real keen on seeing this (first one was just okay) so maybe I'll hold off.
Old 11-22-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Grossed $25.25m last night.
Old 11-22-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'm here, but my time is limited. I only really visit the movie section here now.
Old 11-22-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
The audience was very courteous and was really into it.
It's so sad that we have to point this out as a highlight these days.
Old 11-22-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught a premiere screening with some of the cast in attendance. I thought it was excellent, with more depth than the first film (which I rewatched the day before seeing this one and found it much more simplistic than I remembered it to be). The ending left me with a very Empire Strikes Back or Matrix Reloaded vibe.

Here's my review.
Old 11-22-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it last night in IMAX. I have to say, I thought it worked better as a movie than the first one. The production values were much higher this time around, and the casting/acting was the best they probably could have gotten. FWIW, I didn't mind Kravitz and never found him distracting in either movie. Jena Malone definitely stole the show with her character. A shame she isn't a bigger star.
I was pretty dang amazed at how much IMAX footage was in this movie. Looks like they shot over half of it in the format, including some close-up scenes that maybe shouldn't have been. Overall, it worked, especially for the sweeping land shots and sunsets.

Loved the scene with Haymitch, Peeta, Katniss, and Johanna in the elevator. The look on Lawrence's face while Johanna was doing her little show was priceless.
Old 11-22-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, I just don't get why some people go see movies they don't want to see just because friends want to go. If you didn't like the movie, that's fine, because it's your opinion. However, I never see the harm in saving a few bucks and just saying "guys , I'll sit this one out" if it's something I know for certain I will not enjoy.

I've noticed a trend in the reviews. For the most part, the ones who disliked the first one also dislike this one, and the ones who liked the first, like this one as well. There does seem to be a consensus that the action scenes are better. I think Francis Lawrence was a step in the right direction.
Old 11-22-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Personally, I just don't get why some people go see movies they don't want to see just because friends want to go. If you didn't like the movie, that's fine, because it's your opinion. However, I never see the harm in saving a few bucks and just saying "guys , I'll sit this one out" if it's something I know for certain I will not enjoy.

I've noticed a trend in the reviews. For the most part, the ones who disliked the first one also dislike this one, and the ones who liked the first, like this one as well. There does seem to be a consensus that the action scenes are better. I think Francis Lawrence was a step in the right direction.
I am back in the Bay Area for a week and wanted to hang out with some friends I haven't seen in a bit. Add in the fact that I had seen some good reviews and $25 for my wife and I to join them didn't seem like a big deal. I didn't go in hoping that I would dislike it, and I'm down to give anything a chance.

I think people are afraid to give this negative reviews or are very connected to the source material.
Old 11-22-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I enjoyed this one better than the first one. I also recommend watching this on a legit IMAX screen. The whole hunger games was shot in IMAX, so the framing didn't go back and forth like in The Dark Knight and Rises.
Old 11-22-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The whole thing? I thought I read where 50 mins was IMAX... or maybe I was thinking of another movie.
Old 11-22-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The games only listed about that long, so that makes sense. A ton of exposition in this one.
Old 11-22-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I am back in the Bay Area for a week and wanted to hang out with some friends I haven't seen in a bit. Add in the fact that I had seen some good reviews and $25 for my wife and I to join them didn't seem like a big deal. I didn't go in hoping that I would dislike it, and I'm down to give anything a chance.

I think people are afraid to give this negative reviews or are very connected to the source material.
Or a lot of people just enjoyed it.

That's sometimes a mystery to me, like the fan base of Boondock Saints, movie was boring as shit but somehow achieved cult status.
Old 11-22-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Ummm he's been back.

Interesting to see two polar opposite reviews. I wasn't real keen on seeing this (first one was just okay) so maybe I'll hold off.
Or you can look at countless other reviews online most of them stating it is far superior to the first movie.
Old 11-22-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Or you can look at countless other reviews online most of them stating it is far superior to the first movie.
I like to see what the regular people have to say.
Old 11-22-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I like to see what the regular people have to say.
Well then look at the people in this thread, where the far majority so far have said it was better than the first
Old 11-22-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Well then look at the people in this thread, where the far majority so far have said it was better than the first
We aren't the regular people.
Old 11-22-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts

My wife saw this along with the first one (again) and said it was great.
Old 11-22-13, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I won't read the books cuz I got more interesting books to read but... The whole thematic thing is mediocre for these films. Too simple and cliche.

Once it hit the arena it got interesting. It is better than the first but I don't see the great in this thing. PSH was cool. Is it hard to make him look bad in a film, guy always seems to be good in everything. Lawrence was mediocre in this. The script is so boring for her to act to. The trailer to American Hustle was better than this.

It's just very eh. The tributes were neat though. Underused but visually interesting. Some were stupid in concept.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-22-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-23-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought it was okay, I wasn't as drawn into it as I was the first film. My audience groaned when the end credits came up. Heh.

It's a decent followup, a little long (at almost 2.5 hours), while I felt some of the characterizations too abrupt to invest in (not including Katniss), and left me feeling like "The Matrix Reloaded" in some ways, but definitely sets the table for the 3rd film in the franchise.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 11-23-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
I thought it was okay, I wasn't as drawn into it as I was the first film. My audience groaned when the end credits came up. Heh.

It's a decent followup, a little long (at almost 2.5 hours), while I felt some of the characterizations too abrupt to invest in (not including Katniss), and left me feeling like "The Matrix Reloaded" in some ways, but definitely sets the table for the 3rd film in the franchise.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
It ended exactly how the book did, and I was hoping it wouldn't. I really was hoping they would
Spoiler:
show the bombed out District 12 and end where the third book opens, with Katniss walking through the ruins. They didn't need to have Gale explain what happened, they could have just left him silent and cut to a shot of her leaving the aircraft and going into the remains.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.