Southland -- "Heroes" -- 3/27/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,697 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Southland -- "Heroes" -- 3/27/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

John desperately tries to save Hicks while facing dark truths from his past. Meanwhile, Sammy is haunted by a lie he told; Lydia and Ruben search for a John Doe; and Ben takes his relationship with Elena to the next level.

Episode 7 of 10

Season 5 wrapped production. It's up to TNT now if this show comes back.
Old 03-27-13, 08:06 PM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts
Re: Southland -- "Heroes" -- 3/27/13

Another one bites the dust...

EXCLUSIVE: Southland star Regina King has joined ABC‘s multi-camera comedy pilot Divorce: A Love Story, from Sony TV and ABC Studios. Written by Mike Sikowitz & Daniel Lappin based on an Israeli format and directed by Pam Fryman, Divorce centers on Kenny (Jason Jones) and Robin (Andrea Anders), a recently divorced couple who were bad together but discover they’re even worse apart and can’t seem to stay out of each others’ lives. King, repped by ICM Partners, John Carrabino and Nina Shaw, will play Cassandra, the diva of a dental hygienist mercurial wife of Ike, Kenny’s neurotic best friend and co-worker (Adam Goldberg). For King, the casting is in second position Southland, which is airing its fifth season. The critically praised cop show has never been a big ratings performer and is again on the bubble, but it has been a prestige series for TNT, which has not made a decision on its future. However, its prospect don’t look good, and three key cast members, King, Ben McKenzie and Shawn Hatosy, all have booked broadcast pilots in second position.
Old 03-28-13, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great show, I don't see this coming back next season.
Old 03-28-13, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although they have some great actors on this show, I can see them going forward with new characters. It's not like there are marquee names that are drawing viewers to the show as it is.

Great episode. One thing that really stuck out for me was how the patrol unit checked on the jumper's family...

Spoiler:
...saw that they were shot dead, went to commercial, and we never heard about it again. Just one event in the day of these guys.
Not the typical way a show like this would go, but I thought it was perfectly in keeping with these characters. Plus there was the closing line...

Spoiler:
"The even shot the fucking dog?!"

Damn, Cooper is so freakin' good. His storyline almost went too far for me, but they reigned it in and the closing scene was powerful. Gerald McReany really let it all out there emotionally and physically.

Sammy is a little confusing. Feeling guilty for lying when he was most likely in the right, but cool with stealing a bunch of money to fix his pipes??
Old 03-28-13, 09:08 AM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts

There was some great banter between Ben and Sammy. The Chuck Norris stuff... the "best gummers in town" line... and "you're sick sherman" followup.
Old 03-28-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, yeah, and the whole hooker retirement party was weird and so sad. Hearing about how it was all for the kids and where they are today. And one of them was actually there at the party. A retirement party is usually a celebration....but it was for a nasty hooker....but she did it for her kids.....who were all grown up and seemingly well-adjusted. So many emotions.
Old 03-28-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CharlieK
One thing that really stuck out for me was how the patrol unit checked on the jumper's family [,] saw that they were shot dead, went to commercial, and we never heard about it again. Just one event in the day of these guys.
That bothered me at first until I reflected on it.

Damn, Cooper is so freakin' good. His storyline almost went too far for me, but they reigned it in and the closing scene was powerful. Gerald McReany really let it all out there emotionally and physically.
That was just good acting all around. I actually turned to my wife and said, "Cooper's such a good cop." I'm really glad he was able to get a handle on his addiction. Addiction destroys too man promising lives.

Sammy is a little confusing. Feeling guilty for lying when he was most likely in the right, but cool with stealing a bunch of money to fix his pipes??
I'm not completely sure how to read that one. We don't know that he's "OK" with stealing the money. We only know he did it. But he also lied, though he's not OK with it. Maybe we're looking at a basically honest guy realizing circumstances are pushing him to do a lot of dishonest things -- and he doesn't like it. You see this when he's talking to his son and telling him we don't lie, while realizing he's basically lying to his son even while saying it. He doesn't like that.

I'm really going to miss the show if it doesn't come back, which is admittedly the likely scenario.
Old 03-28-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
I'm not completely sure how to read that one. We don't know that he's "OK" with stealing the money. We only know he did it. But he also lied, though he's not OK with it. Maybe we're looking at a basically honest guy realizing circumstances are pushing him to do a lot of dishonest things -- and he doesn't like it. You see this when he's talking to his son and telling him we don't lie, while realizing he's basically lying to his son even while saying it. He doesn't like that.

I'm really going to miss the show if it doesn't come back, which is admittedly the likely scenario.
You're right, he just got news from IA about the incident, so that was probably top of mind for him. That scene with his kid was tough, "Good boys don't lie."

It seems every character is just out there trying to stave off their own personal darkness - which of course makes for great drama.
Old 03-28-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

That was some damn fine acting by Michael Cudlitz and Gerald McRaney in this episode. Cudlitz's acting IMO was Emmy worthy. It's a shame that this show probably won't get recognized since it's always a bubble show.

Sammy came across as a fucking prick this episode. Hope you like the sauce.
Old 03-28-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rating...able_20130327/

God Damnit

1.3M viewers and 0.4. Unless all the actors want to continue taking pay cuts for another year (which is very unlikely) I would consider episode 10 the series finale. There is no way that WB can continue to keep producing this show dirt cheap for TNT with those kind of ratings.
Old 03-28-13, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,369 Likes on 931 Posts

I hope we get some decent closure to the show.

I will say mad props to TNT for bringing it back from the dead from NBC and keeping it alive as long as they did.
Old 03-28-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
That was some damn fine acting by Michael Cudlitz and Gerald McRaney in this episode. Cudlitz's acting IMO was Emmy worthy.
That whole scene reminded me (vibe and intensity-wise) of The Shield.
Old 03-29-13, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe FX will pick it up once it gets cancelled? They need more programming.
Old 03-29-13, 08:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flashburn
Maybe FX will pick it up once it gets cancelled? They need more programming.
Haha, FX picking up a 2nd-time cancelled show? At what point does a network choose to keep their dignity rather than picking up a failure?
Old 03-29-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rating...able_20130327/

God Damnit

1.3M viewers and 0.4. Unless all the actors want to continue taking pay cuts for another year (which is very unlikely) I would consider episode 10 the series finale. There is no way that WB can continue to keep producing this show dirt cheap for TNT with those kind of ratings.
Duck Dynasty #1? WTF?? They will make a reality show out of anything...