Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What are some important features to look for in a 16x9 TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What are some important features to look for in a 16x9 TV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-00, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onecall seem to have the Toshiba TW56X81 HDTV Ready, 16:9 Aspect Ratio TV at a great price (2999.92).

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_1985.htm

This model received many excellent reviews at audioreview. I am thinking into upgrading to a 16x9 tv, but am at a lost in what key features to look for, ie. progressive scan, 1080i, etc. What are some key features to look for? Is a extended warranty recommended or necessary? Or is it a big waste? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-00, 04:05 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
What are you using it for? DVD, TV, HDTV? Makes a difference. Do you have a progressive player?

Using a gold or platinum credit card can double the manufacturer's warranty for free.

You need to get more specific in your needs and viewing environment to get good advice. You might check out hometheaterforum.com too.

And where did you see Sid & Nancy for $27-33? I want an answer.

Going to bed now, but I'll try to give you some advice tomorrow. I just got a 53" 16x9 about two months ago and it's been great!
Old 11-03-00, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just mine last week, and now I've developed a new bad habit... channel surfing while doing a side by side PIP. It's like surfing with two TVs!!

As far as features, unless you want to be obsolete within a year, it needs to have 1080i & 480p.

My personal feelings on extended warranties are only to get it if you can't afford to replace it if something happens to it. I got my dealer to throw it in for free as part of the deal.
Old 11-03-00, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm basically looking to watch tv, dvd, with option for HDTV later on. I don't have a progressive player yet. Is this feature improve the quality noticeably?

Oh X, answer is Chumbo.com
Old 11-03-00, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

and chumbo isn't the only place L. Gowron. I posted 3 places in the bargain forum (1 is chumbo and also the related softwarebuys.com site has it which I did not post)
Old 11-03-00, 03:52 PM

The Toshiba TW56X81 is a marvelous tv. It has everything you need to enjoy years of great viewing. That price is also one of the best I have seen on that set. I recommend checking this tv out in a store with a progressive scan dvd player hooked up to it. Your mind will be made up. Also consider how much better it will look once you use Video Essentials on it.
Old 11-03-00, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dam, price went up. Now they have the Panasonic for that price.
http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_3754.htm
Old 11-03-00, 04:29 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by L. Gowron:
Dam, price went up. Now they have the Panasonic for that price.
http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_3754.htm
<HR>

Not true the price is still $2992.42. The only thing I think you overlooked is that the Toshiba TW56X81 for that amazing price includes a slight blemish (whatever the hell that means). I was wondering why there would be a $1500 discount
Old 11-03-00, 04:50 PM

I had essentially decided on the Toshiba TW40X81 (or 40H80), when this morning I came across the PANASONIC CT-34WX50, a 34" direct view set that sells periodically on eBay for $3000.

For $500 more than the Toshiba should I get the direct view? Are there any advantages to having a RPTV over a direct view?
Old 11-03-00, 05:23 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by catware:
I had essentially decided on the Toshiba TW40X81 (or 40H80), when this morning I came across the PANASONIC CT-34WX50, a 34" direct view set that sells periodically on eBay for $3000.

For $500 more than the Toshiba should I get the direct view? Are there any advantages to having a RPTV over a direct view?
<HR>

Well I doubt the direct view is wide screen so it depends what you are looking for. If the set is goin in a room with a lot of light the RPTV would not be a great idea. It also depends on how much you like dvd. I would love a widescreen because I love widescreen movies. If you are using this tv more for televesion then go for the panasonic. I personally like widescreen HD RPTVs but then thats my opinion.
Old 11-03-00, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Toshiba TW56X81 was goin for 2999.92 up until earlier today. Now they're selling B product for similar price while raising A product to ~$4400. The special now is on the similar product except in Panasonic line(PT56WXF95)
Old 11-03-00, 05:46 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ZenDog:
Well I doubt the direct view is wide screen<HR>

Dude, not to be too rude, but obviously the Panasonic CT-34WX50 is 16:9, HD ready, 1080i & 480p, true flat screen, with a very good line doubler, or I wouldn't have compared it to the Toshiba TW40X81.

It has been my experience that direct view screens are far superior in clarity to rptv's, but I've never seen a properly calibrated rptv, just showroom floor models. But many people seem to prefer rptv's, so again, with mostly identical models, is there any reason to buy a rptv when it's direct view equivalent can be had for $500 more? (Except for a difference of 6" diagonal, which may be compensated for a much sharper image)
Old 11-03-00, 06:26 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by catware:
Dude, not to be too rude, but obviously the Panasonic CT-34WX50 is 16:9, HD ready, 1080i & 480p, true flat screen, with a very good line doubler, or I wouldn't have compared it to the Toshiba TW40X81.
<HR>

Well you do come off a little rude. You start with saying you are not trying to be rude and then try to make me look stupid by saying it was obvious. I never said that I was sure it wasn't wide screen. I specifically made it clear that I wasn't.

Regardless, the Toshiba TW40X81 when properly calibrated and used with a progressive dvd player in low lighting is really amazing. I can't imagine the Panasonic looking any clearer then the Toshiba but then again I have never seen the Panasonic. I also can't see paying $500 more for a smaller tv unless you don't plan to calibrate the Toshiba or the tv will be in a room with a lot of light. I would definately go to a HT store and check these out with progressive scan players in low light then make up your mind for yourself.
Old 11-03-00, 06:52 PM

I've had a TW56X81 for 11 months and it's been a great TV. I use it exclusively for DVDs, although I'm thinking about HDTV, both OTA and maybe satellite as well. In any case, if you can get the set for anywhere near $3K it would be a bargain.

If you're dealing with One Call you need to be sure to get on the phone and call, don't just look at prices on the website. I've seen on other forums where people have called on the TW models and gotten the lower prices that were listed earlier. I've gotten pretty good mark downs from their advertised prices on DVD players just by calling and mentioning I'm net shopping and comparing prices.