The Office -- "Couple's Discount" -- 2/07/13

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Office -- "Couple's Discount" -- 2/07/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

ERIN IS NERVOUS FOR ANDY'S RETURN - The Office pairs off into pretend couples to take advantage of a Valentine's Day discount at a local mini-mall. Erin (Ellie Kemper) assures Pete (Jake Lacy) she will break up with Andy (Ed Helms) when he returns, but he has good reason to doubt her. Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) share a meal with Brian, the documentary's sound man. Rainn Wilson, Leslie David Baker, Angela Kinsey, Brian Baumgartner, Oscar Nunez, Kate Flannery, Paul Lieberstein, Creed Bratton, Craig Robinson, Catherine Tate, Clark Duke and Jake Lacy also star.

Read more: Listings - OFFICE, THE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2KGLnbyha

Episode 16 of 24
Old 02-07-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Couple's Discount" -- 2/07/13

Wow ... Andy in this episode was more unlikable then any major character in any episode that I can think of.

8 more eps. Like a lot of you, just watching out the string. Usually I find a few laughs in each ep, but not so much here. Maybe Kevin's love of the chunky lemon milk came closest. It probably says a lot that when my DVR didn't pick up the one episode from last week, I have no inclination to track it down.
Old 02-07-13, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

The final (and hour long) episode will air May 16th: http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/the-...et-for-may-16/

Wow, not too many more chances for us to pick each episode apart. Reading these threads every week is more fun than the actual show now!
Old 02-08-13, 06:28 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

calling it now. Erin's new boyfriend is the strangler, and Andy will save her, winning her back.
Old 02-08-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of all the "Scranton Strangler" scenarios I can think of, that's the least plausible and interesting. Really? You want to see them back together?

By the way, pretty good episode. Not of a lot of laughs but some interesting dynamics that are helping to push things forward a little. I wasn't expecting much after last week's one-two punch of mediocrity, but this was a pleasant surprise.
Old 02-08-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
By the way, pretty good episode. Not of a lot of laughs but some interesting dynamics that are helping to push things forward a little. I wasn't expecting much after last week's one-two punch of mediocrity, but this was a pleasant surprise.
I was having a hard time describing the episode last night, so I'll just agree with this. I liked it, but as you mentioned, I can't even recall a single laugh-out-loud moment the morning after which is unusual.
Old 02-08-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

dwight mimicing andy was funny
Old 02-08-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm with Randy and Cardsfan. I think it was a decent episode with some solid character moments but it was definitely light on laughs.

I enjoyed Darrell vehemently denying Oscar's request to be gay mall buddies before realizing he was on camera.

Merideth being called "floor meat"
Old 02-08-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another "meh" episode for me. Let's play out the string so we can retire, please.
Old 02-08-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I enjoyed Darrell vehemently denying Oscar's request to be gay mall buddies before realizing he was on camera.
That was the only LOL moment of the show for me. Glad Andy got busted on the phone at the end. I used to really like his character: Cornell, anger management issues, sucking up to Michael, competition with Dwight, etc...
Old 02-08-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
dwight mimicing andy was funny
Yeah, that was pretty funny.

I also liked the way they handled exposing Andy's absence to David Wallace.

I thought Angela's 'tiny feet' thing was going to develop like Elaine on Seinfeld, where they were making fun of her in Korean and Frank Costanza busted them.
Old 02-08-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Merideth being called "floor meat"

I laughed out loud at "vomit mop"....
Old 02-08-13, 12:37 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Out of all the "Scranton Strangler" scenarios I can think of, that's the least plausible and interesting. Really? You want to see them back together?
NO I do not. In fact I'd like to see Erin and Angela go at it.
Old 02-08-13, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like they're setting up Andy to be like Ricky Gervais was in the original, so that he can be fired and then look back after "filming" is completed. Just a thought.
Old 02-08-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bradler
I feel like they're setting up Andy to be like Ricky Gervais was in the original, so that he can be fired and then look back after "filming" is completed. Just a thought.
The problem is that Gervais' character showed more depth in just 12 episodes and 1 Christmas special than Andy's shown in over 100. It'll mean absolutely nothing.
Old 02-09-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Certainly one of the better episodes this season (though that's not saying much). Glad they let Jim and Pam end on a better note. I thought they were seriously going to have Jim leave for the night, which would have just made us all hate them both more. LOL
Old 02-10-13, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the Jim/Pam ending; their argument continues to feel very realistic to me. Still don't give a shit about Brian, and hope that doesn't continue much further.

I don't recall Andy being such a douche before, so i'm glad he got caught. I have no idea what to expect with him and Erin, given everything that happened the previous season for him to win her back but it only took one episode to root against Andy.
Old 02-10-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Office seems to be doing well in syndication. If Jim and Pam broke up, that would cast a pall over previous episodes and diminish the series popularity, so it wasn't gonna happen.
Old 02-10-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really disliked this episode. For one thing, I think it's a bit late in the day to be introducing another potential threat to Jim and Pam. They've been together long enough and through adversity and now Jim is going to start doubting her? Give me a break.

The return of Andy was horrible. In fact, the way they've been writing Andy this whole season has been terrible and very out of character. He put his job at risk to go to Florida to bring Erin back, but this season he just unthinkingly neglects her? And treating the rest of the staff as he did? It's like they've undone any character growth he had since coming over from Stanford. It reminds me of the bad episodes in the Carell days when Michael would just plain do things that were terrible and didn't really even justify them to himself, they were just terrible deeds.

I've defended the series while some have argued how it's gone downhill, but I have to say that it now can't end soon enough for me. I still get enjoyment from the show, but they're clearly stretching to find things to do with these characters.
Old 02-10-13, 09:02 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the funniest part of this episode was to see the nail salon lady is still in the nail salon business after close to approx. 10+ years when she first recalled the story how Frank Constanza won't take his shoes off. Apparently she's been forever typecast to play nail salon lady. Love it.
Old 02-10-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I thought Angela's 'tiny feet' thing was going to develop like Elaine on Seinfeld, where they were making fun of her in Korean and Frank Costanza busted them.
Originally Posted by SuperJim88
I thought the funniest part of this episode was to see the nail salon lady is still in the nail salon business after close to approx. 10+ years when she first recalled the story how Frank Constanza won't take his shoes off. Apparently she's been forever typecast to play nail salon lady. Love it.
Was it actually the same lady?
Old 02-11-13, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Was it actually the same lady?
Yup, Amy Hill played as Kim in Seinfeld 18 years ago . I'm 100% sure, although she hasn't been credited for her role in the office. It's funny she moved from New York and started another nail salon in Connecticut.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0384032/
Old 02-11-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
Really disliked this episode. For one thing, I think it's a bit late in the day to be introducing another potential threat to Jim and Pam. They've been together long enough and through adversity and now Jim is going to start doubting her? Give me a break.
I really don't see Brian as a potential love interest, but as a reflection on what Jim is thinking/feeling about his marriage. He even admitted that he shouldn't feel the way he does.

Don't get me wrong, I think I introducing Brian is duuuuuuuuumb. But I never thought for a second that Pam was into him in this episode. He was representing what could be for in store for Jim.

I admit I laughed when Phyllis said they were selling balloons.