Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

O'Reilly v. Stewart - The Rumble in the Air-Conditioned Auditorium - 10/6/12

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
O'Reilly v. Stewart - The Rumble in the Air-Conditioned Auditorium - 10/6/12

I put it in this forum because they're both on TV, although this won't technically be on TV, unless your TV's hooked up to the internet, in which case it will be.

"Bill O'Reilly. Jon Stewart. 2 podiums. 1 Air-Conditioned Auditorium. "O'Reilly v Stewart 2012: The Rumble in the Air-Conditioned Auditorium" will be streamed live, Saturday, October 6th at 8pm ET from Lisner Auditorium at The George Washington University. O'Reilly and Stewart will take an entertaining and comedic approach to today's pressing political issues in an attempt to find the best direction for America. "The Rumble 2012" will surely be a must-see event! "

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/48Bi9TKESkI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheRumble2012.com

I like it when these two are on each other's shows, especially Jon on The Factor, so I hope this is good, but I can see it devolving into them just insulting one another.
Old 09-18-12, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: O'Reilly v. Stewart - The Rumble in the Air-Conditioned Auditorium - 10/6/12

Wait, do I get this right, they're charging money just to stream this? Can't they just each have a can of RC Cola or something in front of them and get revenue that way?
Old 09-18-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: O'Reilly v. Stewart - The Rumble in the Air-Conditioned Auditorium - 10/6/12

Originally Posted by AVP77
Wait, do I get this right, they're charging money just to stream this? Can't they just each have a can of RC Cola or something in front of them and get revenue that way?
You're allowed to download/keep a copy as well, and half the profits are going to charity. They're only asking $4.95...it's not outrageous - I might wind up watching.
Old 09-18-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

While these two certainly disagree with each other on a lot of things (and bust each others' balls), I do get the sense that they genuinely like each other.
Old 09-18-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stewart will kill this. O'Reilly only sounds convincing when there is nobody there to call bullshit on him. I'm actually a bit surprised they went with O'Reilly... there are better conservatives with the same notoriety available out there.
Old 09-18-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Yawn. These aren't two of your better thinkers, so whats the point other then seeing Stewart being sarcastic or funny and O'Reilly shouting him down like he does his guests. And we wonder why the state of politics is dumbed down today, our debates have these 2 guys in it??

Give me Bill Bennett vs Thomas Friedman, and then you can actually have an intellectual debate on the issues from each side, but that won't sell because these guys aren't 'entertaining' enough to the general public.
Old 09-18-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Give me Bill Bennett vs Thomas Friedman, and then you can actually have an intellectual debate on the issues from each side, but that won't sell because these guys aren't 'entertaining' enough to the general public.
The title should be a clue that this is for entertainment only.
Old 09-18-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It's merely a publicity stunt for each of them to cross-promote to the other's core audience.
Old 09-19-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill Bennett?

And no, I will not be watching.
Old 09-19-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Bill Bennett?

Thats right, he is a conservative so everything he says you will disagree with. Way to be objective.
Old 09-19-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's merely a publicity stunt for each of them to cross-promote to the other's core audience.
I can't imagine the core audience for one of these shows would be that interested in tuning into the other. I'd say this is a fun way for two people who like and respect one another to spend the evening talking about the state of politics and raise a little money for charity.
Old 09-19-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Stewart will kill this. O'Reilly only sounds convincing when there is nobody there to call bullshit on him. I'm actually a bit surprised they went with O'Reilly... there are better conservatives with the same notoriety available out there.
They have a history together. They have both been guests on each other's shows a few times. I haven't watched Bill in many years, but I remember him having a much better sense of humor than most of his ilk.
Old 09-19-12, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's a preview: my guy won.
Old 09-19-12, 10:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Poppycock!
Old 09-19-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Thats right, he is a conservative so everything he says you will disagree with. Way to be objective.
No, he is a buffoon, ex-drug war overlord, and a "family values" hypocrite. You can pick a better conservative than that. It has nothing to do with whether I agree with him or not.
Old 09-19-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush
They have a history together. They have both been guests on each other's shows a few times. I haven't watched Bill in many years, but I remember him having a much better sense of humor than most of his ilk.
Yes, O'Reilly does have a sense of humor. But he doesn't get that he's the butt of the joke. (And FoxNews)
Old 09-19-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pretty much. No matter how it goes neither side will admit defeat.
Old 09-19-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sven
Pretty much. No matter how it goes neither side will admit defeat.
Admit defeat?! This isn't a debate for public office, it's for charity and good time out. Stewart's a comedian and O'Reilly is a commentator, I don't think anyone is going into this hoping to know how these guys stand on the issues, nor do I think these guys are looking to change any minds. Entertainment purposes only.
Old 09-19-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Why does everybody in the studio audience laugh at all of Stewarts jokes? He is ok but not that funny and kind of overrated.
Old 09-19-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just guessing that the people in the audience are probably big fans of the show and are the type who most appreciate Jon's sense of humor. Maybe.
Old 09-19-12, 03:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

They're a hand-picked mob.
Old 09-19-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

No one hand-picked or pre-screened me when I went to go see a taping.

Jon Stewart appeared on O'Reilly last night to promote the Rumble:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/184803484...ntcmp=obinsite
Old 09-19-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Why does everybody in the studio audience laugh at all of Stewarts jokes? He is ok but not that funny and kind of overrated.
I was once at a comedy show that was being taped for comedy central. During the show, my whole table was laughing almost non-stop. When I saw the special when it aired, I laughed only once or twice. I get there's a certain freshness to the material that's appealing, but the real answer is that in the environment, a few drinks in, with a crowd wanting to have a good time, I was more susceptible to the jokes and being part of the fun. At home, that environment was missing.
Old 09-21-12, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
They laugh because they're smart enough to get his humor.