Old 09-13-12, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,257 Likes on 930 Posts
Glee -- Season Premiere -- "The New Rachel" -- 9/13/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Kate Hudson ("Nine") Guest-Stars

In the season premiere episode, the members of New Directions compete amongst themselves to become the next star of the glee club. During open auditions, a fresh crop of students is introduced, including Marley (Melissa Benoist) and Jake Puckerman (Jacob Artist), Puck's half-brother. Meanwhile, Rachel (Lea Michele) has a rocky start at NYADA and struggles to please her demanding dance teacher, Cassandra July (guest star Kate Hudson). She also meets Brody (Dean Geyer), a handsome upperclassman in the Season Four premiere episode, "The New Rachel," airing on a new night and time Thursday, Sept. 13 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) following THE X FACTOR on FOX. (GLE-401) (TV-14)

22 episode 4th season.

Yeah, yeah I know this show got shit on to death last season and alot of you won't be watching. That's fine. There are other shows for you to watch Thursday night. For those still watching including me, this probably won't get priority viewing because of how busy Thursday will be in a few weeks.

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zkc77SBfLtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-13-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Glee -- Season Premiere -- "The New Rachel" -- 9/13/12

I'm on the fence on if I should devote any time to this show any more.

They moved this to Thursday (hmmmm) maybe I'll just continue to ffwd until the songs and that will be it.
Old 09-13-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the few shows that the wife and I watch together...I don't hate it, but it does get tiring sometimes.
Old 09-13-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe they will do gangnam style
Old 09-13-12, 05:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll watch (but I'm not happy about it!)
Old 09-13-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 331 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
I'm on the fence on if I should devote any time to this show any more.

They moved this to Thursday (hmmmm) maybe I'll just continue to ffwd until the songs and that will be it.
That's how I feel. I'm just not sure if I want to continue. I don't like the move to Thursdays. It doesn't work very well with my scheduling. In fact, I'm not going to be DVRing it tonight because there are other things I want to record. I guess that will test the show's appeal for me, whether I truly end up catching up with it.
Old 09-13-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

So they replaced the fat black chick with a fat black dude? Oh, and he's gay. Way to get creative with the characters and casting.
Old 09-14-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 336 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
So they replaced the fat black chick with a fat black dude? Oh, and he's gay. Way to get creative with the characters and casting.
That was Unique, who competed on The Glee Project and earned a two-episode appearance last season. So the character wasn't created to be a copy of Mercedes. That said, I was not a fan and hoped he wouldn't become a regular character.

I like the new hot chick but Darren Criss was wasted on the Carly Rae Jepsen song.
Old 09-14-12, 10:22 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting premiere in that it almost felt like two spinoff pilots mashed together. I actually felt the NYC story worked better... it's good to have Rachel as the underdog again and Kate Hudson makes a good antagonist.

The McKinley side of things, I don't know, it just felt off... unfocused. Shuttling Will to the background was probably a mistake... he needs to be the glue that keeps this side of the story going, at least until they get their footing with the new dynamic. Especially if you're going to make all the returning New Directions act like smug assholes for the majority of the episode. I did like the new girl -- her story worked -- and the bitchy cheerleader could be an interesting addition. The re-introduction of Unique, on the other hand, was handled poorly.
Old 09-14-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Ryan Murphy needs as many gays on his shows as possible.
Old 09-14-12, 10:34 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Call me impressed. The premiere wasn't terrible.
Old 09-14-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The McKinley side of things, I don't know, it just felt off... unfocused. Shuttling Will to the background was probably a mistake... he needs to be the glue that keeps this side of the story going, at least until they get their footing with the new dynamic. Especially if you're going to make all the returning New Directions act like smug assholes for the majority of the episode. I did like the new girl -- her story worked -- and the bitchy cheerleader could be an interesting addition. The re-introduction of Unique, on the other hand, was handled poorly.
Felt the complete opposite. I suffered through the Rachel stuff because I was enjoying the school stuff. Liked the new girl and I'm glad they had trout mouth say exactly what I was thinking "having we seen her story already". HATED the new gay Mercedes. Blayne has such a good voice, much better than Kurt's IMO so I hope he is the focus of this season.
Old 09-14-12, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Call me impressed. The premiere wasn't terrible.
Exactly how I felt. Although honestly I wish they would just focus on Rachel at this point. The stuff back in Ohio was so unfocused to the point you have to wonder how chaotic and out of ideas the writers have become at this point. I mean the whole "new Rachel" thing was kinda ridiculous. On a different note I really like the Rachel New York plotline and Kate Hudson is AWESOME (as I expected and was the real reason I gave the show one more chance).
Old 09-14-12, 11:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

funny, I didn't miss Finn (Cory) in the slightest. I liked the Lady Gaga/J. Lo mash up song/dance number.
Old 09-15-12, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually thought it was pretty good. I didn't think it was going to pull off the different location but they did it well.
Old 09-16-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 336 Likes on 280 Posts

Watched the episode again. Things that worked for me:

-New girl's face beaming as she sang the closer
-Curt and Rachel's reunion
-Blaine's song with the cups

Things that didn't:

-Blaine as an attention-seeking diva
-Glee kids trying to be cool--so tired
-New girl's tired backstory, though I liked how Sam was the one to reach out
-New antagonist cheerleader and Puck's brother with attitude--I guess if you stick with the same basic premise and regurgitate the characters for four seasons, some things will inevitably get tired
Old 09-16-12, 09:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Watched the episode again. Things that worked for me:

-New girl's face beaming as she sang the closer
-Curt and Rachel's reunion
-Blaine's song with the cups

Things that didn't:

-Blaine as an attention-seeking diva
-Glee kids trying to be cool--so tired
-New girl's tired backstory, though I liked how Sam was the one to reach out
-New antagonist cheerleader and Puck's brother with attitude--I guess if you stick with the same basic premise and regurgitate the characters for four seasons, some things will inevitably get tired
that elicited a out of me.
Old 09-17-12, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed the transitional aspect, but I had no idea if Kurt and Rachel will be part of Glee for the entire season. (But I guess they will be part of Glee this season after all, looking at a few online articles).

Both new singers, Jake and Marley, have nice voices, look forward to hearing more from Marley.
Old 09-19-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Pretty good episode. I liked seeing Kate Hudson in something other than a lousy romantic comedy. The new girl, Marley, was a highlight too.
Old 09-19-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't think premiere was terrible. I like Kate Hudson as the antagonist for Rachel. I'm probably in the minority but I liked Marley's backstory and the return of Unique. The only new characters I didn't like was Jake and the Cheerio girl.
Old 09-20-12, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Unique pegged as a pre-op transgender. And gay (or not gay, after the operation).

I liked the parts with Rachel in New York but the parts in Ohio seemed a little bit of a stretch. More than normal.
Old 09-21-12, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

got around to watching this last night.

Lost of songs so I didn't have to FF all that much, plus read the comments on the board and watched the Kate Hudson parts (she is a good antagonist) but I'm sure they are setting her up to be damaged goods that Rachel helps

I agree seems like I'm watching 2 shows - I like the NYC story line much better.