Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (5/18 - 5/20): Universal Screams, "You've Sunk My Battleship!"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (5/18 - 5/20): Universal Screams, "You've Sunk My Battleship!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taylor Kitsch, your film career is bad and you should feel bad.

Originally Posted by Deadline Hollywood
Universal’s Battleship is “certain to be soft” according to my studio sources after it opened with only $420K midnights from 1,074 theaters. That’s weaker than Warner Bros’ underperforming Dark Shadows last weekend and even Disney’s notorious 2012 bomb John Carter. Universal cautions that “both of those films have a bigger ‘geek base’” whereas the strength of Peter Berg’s military vs aliens actioner is “that it’s the anti-geek, anti-midnight movie of all time”. What does that mean? That the studio is hoping it does well in flyover country. The patriotic pic already has made $220M internationally, thus mitigating its $209+ budget and advance bad buzz in North America where Marvel’s mega-juggernaut The Avengers from Disney is still sucking all the air out of the box office. Meanwhile, Paramount’s The Dictator from Sacha Baron Cohen continues not to rule box office: It made only $2.8M Thursday after opening weak on Wednesday for a 2-day total of $7M. Now Baron Cohen’s Middle East spoof may not even be the #1 comedy in the marketplace this weekend: the latest news is that Lionsgate says it’s What To Expect When You’re Expecting romantic comedy which wasn’t tracking suddenly ticked up Thursday. “We got a nice bump which could put us ahead of The Dictator for the three-day weekend and hopefully put our weekend into the high teens,” an exec tells me. ”Our P&A spend and production costs are even less than The Dictator – and our cast made it to the Oscars without offending AMPAS. Ha.”

Marvel’s The Avengers on Thursday set a new domestic speed record, reaching the $400M box office threshold in 14 days. Worldwide, it has passed Toy Story 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest to become the #6 highest-grossing film of all time and the highest grossing Disney release ever. Internationally it is the #9 highest-grossing film of all time. So The Avengers’ cumulative performance to date consists of international box office $668.7M and domestic $402M for a global total of $1,070.7M. Additional highlights to date include: fastest film to reach $350M (10 days), $300M (9 days), $250M (8 days), $200M (5 days), $150M (3 days) and $100M (2 days) at domestic box office; Disney’s fifth release to cross the billion dollar global box office threshold; biggest domestic opening of all time ($207.4M); biggest domestic second weekend of all time ($103M); highest-grossing domestic film of 2012, passing The Hunger Games in just 12 days of release; the 12th highest grossing domestic release of all-time; highest domestic Saturday tally ($69.5M); highest domestic Sunday tally ($57M); second-highest domestic single-day tally ($80.8M).
Universal, only geeks go to midnight showings? Universal, you're fucked.
Old 05-18-12, 11:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (5/18 - 5/20): Universal Screams, "You've Sunk My Battleship!"

if this was named anything other than the tie-in to the Battleship game, people would be gushing over seeing it. it really doesn't look that bad at all.
Old 05-18-12, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (5/18 - 5/20): Universal Screams, "You've Sunk My Battleship!"

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
if this was named anything other than the tie-in to the Battleship game, people would be gushing over seeing it. it really doesn't look that bad at all.
You've got to be fucking kidding.
Old 05-18-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes it does. it really does.
Old 05-18-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Battleship looks like Peter Berg was auditioning to direct Transformers 4 had Michael Bay opted not to return.
Old 05-18-12, 11:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
You've got to be fucking kidding.
It's a summer popcorn flick. Loud, overindulgent, and obnoxious. That's what most people want for their summertime fare. That's what I want. I don't need every movie to be some cerebral affair. Sometimes it's nice to just escape the daily grind for a couple of hours and watch something like this.
Old 05-18-12, 11:40 AM
Banned

I don't need every movie to be some cerebral affair. Sometimes it's nice to just escape the daily grind for a couple of hours and watch something like this.
There's a big difference between 'a cerebral affair' and a movie that is made for stupid people.

Nothing makes this more clear than Universal's braindead press team saying that it's “that it’s the anti-geek, anti-midnight movie of all time”. It was made for idiots. It's as simple as that. Even the studio admits it.

You wanna see a good summer blockbuster? Go see "The Avengers". See it again if you haven't seen it already.

But Battleship? You may as well be drooling when you watch it.
Old 05-18-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

It's a summer popcorn flick. Loud, overindulgent, and obnoxious. That's what most people want for their summertime fare. That's what I want. I don't need every movie to be some cerebral affair. Sometimes it's nice to just escape the daily grind for a couple of hours and watch something like this.
I totally get that and I could get behind such a movie just to have fun. But the ads for this scream "trying way too hard". And having Neeson as nothing but a bit player certainly doesn't help either.
Old 05-18-12, 11:44 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a big difference between 'a cerebral affair' and a movie that is made for stupid people.

Nothing makes this more clear than Universal's braindead press team saying that it's “that it’s the anti-geek, anti-midnight movie of all time”. It was made for idiots. It's as simple as that. Even the studio admits it.
Wow, elitist much? It would be nice if you kept your opinions to yourself until you've actually seen the movie. Because giving a blanket statement like that based purely on the trailer comes across as ignorant hogwash.
Old 05-18-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Well its 36% on Rotten Tomatoes...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battleship/
Old 05-18-12, 11:45 AM
Banned

Wow, elitist much? It would be nice if you kept your opinions to yourself until you've actually seen the movie. Because giving a blanket statement like that based purely on the trailer comes across as ignorant hogwash.
Yeah, I'm elitist because I know what shit looks like. You must be fucking kidding me.

A movie starring an A-list actress like Rihanna as a badass soldier might be better than "The Avengers". Hell, it might be an Oscar winner. You're totally right. Let's keep an open mind despite all the reviews that've already been published.
Old 05-18-12, 11:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I totally get that and I could get behind such a movie just to have fun. But the ads for this scream "trying way too hard". And having Neeson as nothing but a bit player certainly doesn't help either.
I haven't seen the flick, but I'm fine with Neeson's limited involvement if it is done right. Hell, there have been some amazing characters/performances over the years who have only had a small amount of screen time. With that said, will I see it in the theatre? No, probably not. Will I see it eventually? You bet.
Old 05-18-12, 11:47 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm elitist because I know what shit looks like. You must be fucking kidding me.
come down off your high horse, or at the very least stay out of threads about movies YOU deem beneath you, troll.
Old 05-18-12, 11:48 AM
Banned

come down off your high horse, or at the very least stay out of threads about movies YOU deem beneath you, troll.
Why don't you try for a legitimate argument besides "Hey guys, just turn off your brain and enjoy it."?

What kind of movie is "too stupid" for you, then? How far can Hollywood insult your intelligence before you actually start having an opinion?

I'm really wondering what the lower limit is for people like you. Can they make a movie based on a ketchup packet and, hey, as long as it looks good, you'll go see it?
Old 05-18-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Taylor Kitsch, your film career is bad and you should feel bad.
Pocketing millions for an ensemble picture that will have no impact on his career; fucking Hollywood starlets and he should feel bad?

Please at least try a little harder...
Old 05-18-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is The Avengers has laid waste to any film that opens within weeks of its trajectory because it has set an extremely high bar of how summer entertainment should be. Good for audiences, terrible for the studios.

Dark Shadows was tracking to have an opening weekend of $40 - 50 million and ended up at $29 million based upon awful reviews and The Avengers dominating the box office.

Battleship was tracking to have an opening weekend of $40 - 50 million as well, but some are now adjusting their tracking to have it open at $27 - 30 million. While I don't think it'll be that low as it'll pickup audience members this weekend with children out of school, Universal didn't think The Avengers would still be kicking ass and taking names its third week in.

The Avengers is tracking with another 50% drop this weekend putting its third weekend at number one with $51-52 million. While it won't beat Avatar's third weekend record at $69 million, it'll sit comfortably at #2 for a while. With next weekend including Memorial Day, I see that drop being less steep in its fourth weekend in.
Old 05-18-12, 11:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Why don't you try for a legitimate argument besides "Hey guys, just turn off your brain and enjoy it."?
because I don't NEED another argument other than that. Generally going to the movies is about escapism. Especially big splashy summer "blockbusters". What is your take on ID4? Shit? If yes, then you've proven your just a snob, if you say it was decent then you prove you're a hypocrite, as "Battleship" looks just as good (or bad) as ID4.
Old 05-18-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it looks like shit, but I'm inclined to agree that it might be tracking better without the tie-in.
Old 05-18-12, 11:56 AM
Banned

because I don't NEED another argument other than that. Generally going to the movies is about escapism. Especially big splashy summer "blockbusters". What is your take on ID4? Shit? If yes, then you've proven your just a snob, if you say it was decent then you prove you're a hypocrite, as "Battleship" looks just as good (or bad) as ID4.
ID4 was a decent summer blockbuster, but I saw that when I was 10. Are you 10?

I'm going to guess your answer is "Yes" to that ketchup packet question.
Old 05-18-12, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah...I too think that it would doing better without the name.
Old 05-18-12, 11:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really wondering what the lower limit is for people like you. Can they make a movie based on a ketchup packet and, hey, as long as it looks good, you'll go see it?
"People like you"... ROFL, yeah, you're not an elitist snob at allllllllllll.
Old 05-18-12, 12:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

ID4 was a decent summer blockbuster, but I saw that when I was 10. Are you 10?

I'm going to guess your answer is "Yes" to that ketchup packet question.
and now you're in your mid 20's and know eeeeeverything. That explains quite a bit actually.
Old 05-18-12, 12:01 PM

What kind of movie is "too stupid" for you, then? How far can Hollywood insult your intelligence before you actually start having an opinion?

Old 05-18-12, 12:02 PM
Banned

"People like you"... ROFL, yeah, you're not an elitist snob at allllllllllll.
If not thinking this movie looks good whatsoever makes me a snob, then whatever, guess I'm a snob, dude. You can stop peppering every one of your remarks with that term now.

Apparently you'll watch any movie that's "Loud, overindulgent, and obnoxious.". I'd rather be a fucking snob, then.

Good on you if Hollywood can basically spit in your face and take your money.
Old 05-18-12, 12:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL, I just don't get so bent out of shape about it like you evidently do. Apparently your father was killed by Roland Emmerich and mother raped by Michael Bay. If truly the case then I understand your venom.

More people will see Battleship then your favorite movie of all time. Evidently that just slays you, yet to me I find it hilarious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.