Old 03-11-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Californication -- "At the Movies" -- 3/11/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
On the first day of production for screenwriter Hank's new movie, he's reunited with the director of his previous film in hopes they'll strike cinema gold again. Later, Hank has a friendly encounter with the film's leading lady, which an upset Samurai perceives as cutting in on his action.

Episode 9 of 12

Promo:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1479118190001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1479118190001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 03-12-12, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Californication -- "At the Movies" -- 3/11/12

"dog water"
Old 03-12-12, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I do enjoy this show, my patience is beginning to run out with its repetitiveness...
Old 03-12-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I thought it was a good episode. I'm sure the guys at Mr. Skin appreciate that they got a mention on a show they love so much. I'm sure they'll create an award category just for that scene.

I'm pretty sure the guy in the bar that Charlie went up to played one of the alien guys on The X-Files.
Old 03-13-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's been in several things, but yes, he was a Super Soldier.
Old 03-13-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay episode.. better than the last couple, but yeah, the show seems to be meandering around. Where's Writer Hank? Where's Lady's Man Hank? Thinks just keep happening TO him rather than him doing anything.

And Becca... I mean.. she's a good actor but she's got to take some vocal training or something because that monotone gets more grating the older she gets. She even yells in monotone.
Old 03-13-12, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
And Becca... I mean.. she's a good actor but she's got to take some vocal training or something because that monotone gets more grating the older she gets. She even yells in monotone.
Monotone voice is the mark of a mediocre actor unless it's intentional. Has she been in anything else where she didn't speak in the same style?
Old 03-13-12, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
He's been in several things, but yes, he was a Super Soldier.
He was the alien bounty hunter.
Old 03-13-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I thought this was a very funny episode.

Charlie to random guy in bar:

"I want to suck your cock and stick my thumb up your ass"

I was crying during that scene, especially after his goon friends took him away. And then Charlie said "Be gentle"

The actress who showed off her assets to Hank was pretty fricking hot. Samurai getting all pissed off because of that was pretty ridiculous.
Old 03-14-12, 03:47 PM

I love the writing and acting on this show. But yeah you pretty much have to accept it's permanently stuck in a rut. Break up, make up, disappoint daughter, make up with daughter, etc.
Old 03-14-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I haven't seen her in any other movies/shows, but she's just terrible in this. I checked out some interviews from her on youtube and while her voice isn't hugely different in real life - she's still much more monotone on the show. The director has to take some blame - he's gotta get her to talk in her normal tone while still acting.

The show is all over the map. It doesn't have to have any deep meaning or say anything profound, but they seem to have absolutely nothing to say and the sex stuff has worn thin a long time ago.

It was obvious a lot earlier on and now it's pretty much guaranteed that the nanny is playing Charlie for all he's worth. But I have to say, even though she has a nice little body on her - she really has a gorgeous face.
Old 03-15-12, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I love the writing and acting on this show. But yeah you pretty much have to accept it's permanently stuck in a rut. Break up, make up, disappoint daughter, make up with daughter, etc.
Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the diners will pay for dog food, why serve them sirloin?

Despite agreeing with nearly all of the posters above re: the predictability & repetition, I actually find this season a tiny bit better (the addition of Tyler has forced Hank to occasionally examine himself...although he reverts to form at the drop of a bra). Still, it's bad when you can quote the next line before it happens. About 3 seconds before the actress walked into the trailer to "thank" Hank, I predicted that exact event out loud...because it was "time" for it. Sort of like the old westerns in which there was a shootout every thirty minutes on the mark, and then there would be another half-hour lull until the next shootout.

The big winner this season is the nanny, who is going all out to lobby for bigger roles in Hollywood. She's leaving no birth mark unturned, and I'm sure many producers/directors are salivating at the prospect of 'working' with her. Gotta shake that moneymaker while it's still firm!
Old 03-15-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The show is absolutely formulaic but it's still very enjoyable. It seems that the writers had a great idea for one season and they nailed it. But the problem was that they kind of wrapped everything up in an nice bow at the end of the first season. After that they've just been trying to rehash the same magic between Hank and Karen (to varying success). It's getting old for sure and I don't care about how things end with those two and Becca anymore. But there is still a lot there to make this show fun to watch.

What I do like about this season is that they hit the fast forward button and put in a 3 year gap. Gives it some new life and allows Hank to be Hank and not be non stop whiner about Karen anymore.

Originally Posted by Coral
It was obvious a lot earlier on and now it's pretty much guaranteed that the nanny is playing Charlie for all he's worth. But I have to say, even though she has a nice little body on her - she really has a gorgeous face.
The funny thing is that I think a part of Charlie realizes this. I just don't think he cares. I mean if I were in his position and was hooking up with her, I don't think I'd care either. Even if he doesn't "get it", I think there will eventually be a scene where someone tells him and he'll get hit with the realization and just shrug it off.