Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Lucas Rapes Your Childhood: Episode VII in 3D (Weekend Box Office: 2/10-2/13)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

George Lucas Rapes Your Childhood: Episode VII in 3D (Weekend Box Office: 2/10-2/13)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deadline
FRIDAY 8:30 AM: Hang on for a wild ride because Hollywood is holding its collective breath to see whether the North American box office can open four major movies to $20+ million on a non-holiday weekend. It’s never been done before.

Looks like Sony Pictures’ certain frontrunner The Vow has an early start after tracking very strong for weeks: the PG-13 romantic tearjerker starring Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams took in $700K in midnight shows last night. “For a cold Thursday night in February, that’s pretty terrific,” one of the execs gushed to me just now. It should open in the high $20sM along with Universal’s R-rated actioner Safe House starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds which also made an unexpectedly decent*$543K in midnights.

It was*predicted that geek wannasee would mandate they be*first in line for Fox/LucasFilm’s 3D version of 1999′s Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace to the tune of $1.1M midnights on its way to low $20sM. More or less depends how many moviegoers can tolerate Jar Jar Binks again (even though some theater chains are bribing audiences with promotional toys). No matter, it’s easy money. The question remains Warner Bros’ PG-rated Journey 2: The Mysterious Island which has already opened better-than-expected overseas with $50M but may only reach high teens in the U.S. and Canada unless the strong box office carries all the*openers to a bigger finish.*Stay tuned.

*For the record, on the 2008 Sholiday weekend December 26-28, all four movies opened the day before on Christmas and all four enjoyed $20+M openings in the three-day weekend: Fox’s Marley And Me ($36.4M), Disney’s Bedtime Stories ($27.4), Paramount’s Benjamin Button ($26.9M), and MGM/UA’s Valkyrie ($21M)
I knew Star Wars would take the weekend, but better question will be how long will it last in theaters?
Old 02-10-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: George Lucas Rapes Your Childhood: Episode VII in 3D (Weekend Box Office: 2/10-2/

I hope the Star Wars cash grab fails terribly, although I know it won't due to all the fanboys, but seriously it's pathetic and I hope Lucas get's cancer from it.
Old 02-10-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: George Lucas Rapes Your Childhood: Episode VII in 3D (Weekend Box Office: 2/10-2/

My top ten prediction:

1) The Vow
2) Safe House
3) Journey To the Mysterious Island
4) Star Wars
5) Chronicle
6) The Grey
7) Woman In Black
8) Big Miracle
9) The Descendents
10) Red Tails
Old 02-10-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No way SW opens that low. It'll take top spot or #2. Then it'll sink like a fucking stone when WOM gets out that the 3D sucks.
Old 02-10-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I hope the Star Wars cash grab fails terribly, although I know it won't due to all the fanboys, but seriously it's pathetic and I hope Lucas get's cancer from it.
There's also a huge audience of children who were introduced to the Star Wars universe through the Clone Wars animated series on CN, the Lego video games, and the ubiquitous toys in stores. My 9-year old loves anything Clone Trooper- and Darth Maul-related, so we'll be in the theater (even though I hated Episode I and regret it won't be the same experience as it was for me on opening day in '77).

So it's not just "fanboys" taking it in. I imagine there will be quite a few fathers and sons as well. For that reason alone, I'm grateful that these are being shown on the big screen again.
Old 02-10-12, 02:37 PM

^
go ahead, throw your money away!
Old 02-10-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

^
go ahead, throw your money away!
I'm sure he will now that he has your permission.

In other news, Twilight Breaking Dawn Part I has grossed over $700m worldwide.

Let that one soak in.

People seeing Star Wars Episode I in 3D doesn't seem so bad now, now does it?
Old 02-10-12, 02:47 PM

Damn you RichC2 and your infallible reasoning!
Old 02-10-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
There's also a huge audience of children who were introduced to the Star Wars universe through the Clone Wars animated series on CN, the Lego video games, and the ubiquitous toys in stores. My 9-year old loves anything Clone Trooper- and Darth Maul-related, so we'll be in the theater (even though I hated Episode I and regret it won't be the same experience as it was for me on opening day in '77).

So it's not just "fanboys" taking it in. I imagine there will be quite a few fathers and sons as well. For that reason alone, I'm grateful that these are being shown on the big screen again.
Yep. That's exactly the argument I made with a buddy yesterday. Basically anyone under the age of 15 has no memory of seeing this at the movies. And that's the same age group who's been force fed all the stuff you mention. Gotta figure a lot of dads and moms are going to be taking their sons to the movies this weekend. While I didn't care for TPM, my son (who's 11) loved it on DVD and wants to go see it.
Old 02-10-12, 02:49 PM

stop padding your post count. Mrs. 4000
Old 02-10-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Damn you RichC2 and your infallible reasoning!
Old 02-10-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

My friend is chomping at the bit to see PM in 3D even tho he's already made the decision that it'll suck just as hard as the rest of the Prequels. I asked him why bother seeing it then and he responded "Because it's Star Wars, man."

I kicked him in the nuts and walked away.
Old 02-10-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

So Lucas wanted Red Tails to do well yet he's now competing with himself? Just seems sort of weird.
Old 02-10-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
So Lucas wanted Red Tails to do well yet he's now competing with himself? Just seems sort of weird.
Lucas want Red Tails to do well so his girlfriend would be happy. Just like he made Ep 1 and specifically Jar-Jar so his kids would be happy. George needs to keep his family out of his movie making and the fans would be better off.
Old 02-10-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

but seriously it's pathetic and I hope Lucas get's cancer from it.
Oh God, do we really need insipid comments like this? So Lucas raped your childhood, so you want him to get cancer? Really? You know, karma is a bitch. If I were you I wouldn't wish for things like other people getting cancer.
Old 02-10-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cusm
Lucas want Red Tails to do well so his girlfriend would be happy. Just like he made Ep 1 and specifically Jar-Jar so his kids would be happy. George needs to keep his family out of his movie making and the fans would be better off.
The fuck are you talking about? he didn't even know his girlfriend when Red Tails was supposed to shoot, back in 1990-1991.
Old 02-10-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,038 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrell
Oh God, do we really need insipid comments like this? So Lucas raped your childhood, so you want him to get cancer? Really? You know, karma is a bitch. If I were you I wouldn't wish for things like other people getting cancer.
I wasn't sure if I was more offended by the wish for cancer or by the horrendous use of apostrophe
Old 02-10-12, 06:36 PM

After years of therapy and emotional struggling after what he did to me in 1999 I can see he's back and hornier than ever!
Old 02-10-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Black birdmen, I thought they called them foolish Africans?
Old 02-10-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If karma were real, I'd probably be a millionaire.
Old 02-10-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Looking like low 30's for the top three... another great wknd. I suppose that greenlights the 3D Episode II... if we make it past that, I'm assuming we'll get all six.

Not to derail the topic but I still think George's best bet would be to greenlight a new trilogy all at once, using the 3D red camera's, etc... that would be far more preferable (and lucrative) than some cheap tv show, and endless I-VI re-releases.
Old 02-10-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Lucas should just remake IV-VI so he can stop fucking up the originals.
Old 02-10-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide

That's my son too. He's 9 and eats up anything Star Wars-related. I offered to take him to see this one over his school vacation shortly and he declined, saying "It's just the same movie that I've already seen." I was pretty amazed that he didn't want to go but I guess my hatred for 3-D has rubbed off on him some.
Old 02-10-12, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell

Some people shouldn't be allowed on the Introwebs.

They just don't understand jokes and hyperbole.
Old 02-10-12, 10:26 PM

I just got home from seeing the movie with a group of friends. Before I say another word I need you to undertand I am very biased, as Star Wars: TMP was one of the first films I saw in theaters when I was little so it has always had a soft spot in my heart.

As an actor and aspiring director I see the issues with the film, mainly in Jake Lloyd. I also do think that Jar Jar is a bit annoying although I still find most of his bits quite funny.

That being said, George Lucas could have been a tad more generous with the 3D effect. There were times when I believe nothing on the screen was actually in 3D. I really hope that as these films go on he'll get better at making the films 3D and just use the effect a bit more overall.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.