Old 07-13-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Damages -- Season Premiere -- "There's Only One Way to Try a Case" -- 7/13/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-06-26

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Season 4 begins with military contractor Howard Erickson (John Goodman) facing a wrongful-death suit. But that doesn't stop him from going after more defense business. Complicating things further is shadowy Jerry Berman (Dylan Baker), who's mixed up in Mideast intrigue. Meanwhile, Patty also goes after a drug company.

10 episode 4th season. The show will also have a 10 episode 5th season as well.

Exclusively on The Audience Network on Directv in the United States. I don't know what the deal is for Canadian audiences. There will be no sloppy seconds for FX as they cancelled the show and are done with it.

Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g5172fXV_UM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From everything that I read about season 4, the material will be more R rated. Expect to hear some F bombs from Patty and company.
Old 07-13-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Damages -- Season Premiere -- "There's Only One Way to Try a Case" -- 7/13/11

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't know what the deal is for Canadian audiences. There will be no sloppy seconds for FX as they cancelled the show and are done with it.
I did NOT know that. I always thought these last two seasons were being handled like Friday Night Lights. Hmm. My parents are going to be pissed when they realize they have to wait for the DVDs

In any case, I gave up a third of the way through last season and am now trying to play catch up via the Audience Network's rebroadcasts of S3 over the past few weeks. Not going to be caught up for a while...
Old 07-13-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Damages -- Season Premiere -- "There's Only One Way to Try a Case" -- 7/13/11

Yeah unfortunately anyone who doesn't have Directv will have to wait for the DVDs to watch this legally. The Audience Network has exclusive rights with Sony for seasons 4 and 5.

As I just said, I don't know how this affects Canada or if season 4 and 5 are even airing there.
Old 07-13-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I did NOT know that. I always thought these last two seasons were being handled like Friday Night Lights. Hmm. My parents are going to be pissed when they realize they have to wait for the DVDs

In any case, I gave up a third of the way through last season and am now trying to play catch up via the Audience Network's rebroadcasts of S3 over the past few weeks. Not going to be caught up for a while...
I can't believe you gave up last season. That was IMO much better than season 2. Campbell Scott was an awesome recurring guest star. Well, glad your attempting to catch up.
Old 07-13-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe you gave up last season. That was IMO much better than season 2. Campbell Scott was an awesome recurring guest star. Well, glad your attempting to catch up.
To tell the truth, my SD DirecTiVo started pixellating so badly (aka dying) that I had a few unwatchable/indecipherable episodes and missed too much to get caught up. I didn't worry too much about it figuring that S3 was going to be the final season anyway. I loved what I saw of Scott as well as Lily Tomlin AND Martin Short. Glad I am going to be able to catch up in HD from the Audience Network (since only S1 is on Blu).
Old 07-13-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goddamn, great trailer. I wish I had DTV. I really want to see that!
Old 07-14-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From everything that I read about season 4, the material will be more R rated. Expect to hear some F bombs from Patty and company.
idk what it is with FX where they can be as raunchy and as foul as they want, just don't say fuck, or ****, and dont' show frontal nudity, but asses are ok
Old 07-14-11, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
idk what it is with FX where they can be as raunchy and as foul as they want, just don't say fuck, or ****, and dont' show frontal nudity, but asses are ok
I don't get why swearing and nudity is a big 'no no' at all
Old 07-15-11, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Excellent opening episode. Next to The Good Wife, I think the Damages is probably one of the best written law serial dramas on TV. I think it's probably one of the toughest shows to write and create fresh arcs each season.

Sorry for those who don't have Directv. For those here in Canada, is this even airing there?

It looks like this season takes place 3 years after season 3, especially since we're introduced to Patty's grandaughter as a little girl and she wasn't even born yet last season. at Patty's grandaughter giving her the staredown during dinner. That little girl is creepy.

John Goodman is going to be a great villain this season. This military contractor/coverup arc has alot of potential. I'm guessing the psychologist was murdered because of Sanchez revealing the secrets about the mission.

So the guy with the hood on in the beginning that was executed at the end....are we supposed to assume that is:

Spoiler:
Sanchez?

and especially with Ellen's reaction at the end makes it seem pretty obvious.
Old 07-15-11, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk God

For those curious, yes there were F bombs dropped like crazy.

This is definitely an R-rated version of the show.

Alot of people bitching on the Damages facebook page about the show being exclusive to Directv. Uhhh hello...FX cancelled the show.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-15-11 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-15-11, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Most people really are too stupid to live. Even when someone in the comments points out that DirectTV in fact saved the show, they still don't get it.
Old 07-15-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I can't imagine working for Patty, but I really can't imagine working as a nanny for Patty. I don't think there is any amount of money that you could pay me to do that.

John Goodman and Dylan Baker look to be great guest stars this season.
Old 07-17-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

They're certainly taking advantage of the ability to drop the f-bomb... I think it dropped at least 6 times. That's the only knock I have on Breaking Bad - drug cartels, dealers and murderers who rarely swear... just doesn't feel as real.

Good episode and I'm sure it'll be a good season. However, I'm kind of tired of having these constant flash-fowards littered throughout each episode giving us clues as to how it will end.
Old 07-17-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it - seemed to set the wheels in motion for another great season and Dylan Baker is an awesome addition. I really liked how even though they are now allowed to use the F-word, it wasn't Ellen or Patty swearing - I'm sure eventually they will but I'm glad they didn't just out of the blue start cursing like sailors, since they haven't in the past. And I will agree that the flash forwards used for dramatic irony/tension can become a bit grating, but that is THE HOOK OF THE SHOW. A season of Damages without that element would just be another law show
Old 07-17-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is this airing anywhere in Canada or will I have to wait for the DVD?
Old 07-17-11, 10:48 PM
Suspended

Anybody know if all episodes will be longer, or will they go back to ~42 minutes from now on, even though they don't have to?
Old 07-17-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by aktick
Anybody know if all episodes will be longer, or will they go back to ~42 minutes from now on, even though they don't have to?
I believe they are all going to be close to 60 minutes. I read an interview with one of the producers of the show and he said this new deal with Directv gives them fewer episodes, a slightly smaller budget, but more freedom content wise (hence the F bombs), length-wise.

These airings on Directv are different compared to Friday Night Lights since FNL still had to be formatted for a 60 minute timeslot with commercials for the NBC airings. These are all exclusive to Directv with no secondary airings on FX.
Old 07-18-11, 09:31 AM
Suspended

I believe they are all going to be close to 60 minutes. I read an interview with one of the producers of the show and he said this new deal with Directv gives them fewer episodes, a slightly smaller budget, but more freedom content wise (hence the F bombs), length-wise.

These airings on Directv are different compared to Friday Night Lights since FNL still had to be formatted for a 60 minute timeslot with commercials for the NBC airings. These are all exclusive to Directv with no secondary airings on FX.
Yeah, I guess I just didn't know if they'd try to make them the standard time for syndication purposes. Glad that's not the case.