Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

De Blob 2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
De Blob 2 Thread

So when I couldn't find a single Redbox stocking Bulletstorm, I decided to do a 180 and rent De Blob 2 instead. It's surprisingly pretty good. It's a platform game aimed at families. It has the ability to let another (probably younger) player play along and help the primary player by shooting ammo and the like (not unlike Mario Galaxy 2 did).

It's pretty simplistic and probably too easy. Also there is a semi-annoying countdown timer that probably didn't need to be in the game at all and of course the evil game camera that plagues almost all third-party 3D platformers.

What it does have is style and charm. Lots of it. It's got a really cool look, where everything is grey, static and dull until you suck up some paint and start literally painting the town. Then everything is vibrant and happy. It's really an infectious (if not exactly challenging) gameplay dynamic. I imagine it's pretty similar to Epic Mickey (which I never played), but in this case, the color stays after you leave the area, which is a big plus, in my opinion.
My family had a lot of fun with it and I'll pick it up after the first price drop.

I never tried the first one (which was a Wii-only game), but this one was pretty enjoyable (and available on all three systems). I have no idea how different this game is from the first one, but I'm sure the HD graphics improve things a lot (My daughter called the graphics "realistic", but I think she meant pretty or vibrant instead ).

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j_5cc0dQavg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aNShwSg1SfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Decker; 02-28-11 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: De Blob 2 Thread

I had no idea this was out there. I thought the first one was a fun concept, but it was one of those motion-control-for-motion-control's-sake Wii games that was a PITA to actually play. I'll have to check this out.
Old 02-28-11, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I got this and have been playing it. It is quite fun but the one thing that pisses me off is the time limit. I ran out of time in the second world and I do not just waste time. If this is any indication of what is to come then I might be getting the key to frustration city.
Old 03-01-11, 02:20 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to give it a rent sometime in the future. I don't have time right now.

Got the first game as a gift a couple years ago, but I still have yet to play it. I should probably do that first.