Old 11-03-10, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Terriers -- "Pimp Daddy" -- 11/03/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
As Gretchen's wedding nears, Hank learns disconcerting information about her fiancé, Jason (Loren Dean). Meanwhile, Britt tracks down the hooker (D.J. "Shangela" Pierce) who ripped off a teenage boy. He also begins to suspect that Katie is pregnant.

Episode 9 of 13
Old 11-03-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Terriers -- "Pimp Daddy" -- 11/03/10

I have finally caught up with this show and have to admit it is pretty damn great. I hope it is doing well in the ratings so that FX picks it up for another season. The characters are all quirky, fun and unique. Much more entertaining than your standard "big four" network procedural.
Old 11-03-10, 09:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ Don't hold your breath. Ratings are pretty dismal -- not optimistic on a second season pickup. Too bad since it is indeed a great show.
Old 11-03-10, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great show, but there is no way it gets picked up unless FX wants to do something drastic like re-naming and re-market the show.
Old 11-03-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion
Great show, but there is no way it gets picked up unless FX wants to do something drastic like re-naming and re-market the show.
Has a show ever been renamed before, for a purpose like this?
Old 11-03-10, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Not that I know of. I've just heard people throw that idea out there. I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't mind if they did. I love the show, and it's unfortunate no one watches it.

Whenever I recommend the show to friends, they are like "Oh, isn't that show about dogs?" Whoever thought that 'Terriers' would be a good name for a TV show like this should get fired. The promos were also terrible. They didn't portray at all what the show was about, rather they decided to have dogs run around. Terrible marketing, IMO.
Old 11-03-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The show name is brilliant. If this show had been called "San Diego PIs" or "Dirty Private Dicks", it still would be a very difficult show to sell. I'm not defending the dog marketing at all, but I don't get the hate heaped on the name. It's a brilliant name.
Old 11-03-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Name is stupid. Theres not even a Terrier in it!

Loving the show and finally caught up last night. Anyone else dig the dork "Lone Gunmen" guys?
Old 11-03-10, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
The show name is brilliant. If this show had been called "San Diego PIs" or "Dirty Private Dicks", it still would be a very difficult show to sell. I'm not defending the dog marketing at all, but I don't get the hate heaped on the name. It's a brilliant name.
You may think the name is brilliant, but the masses don't think it is. You aren't gonna sell the show with that name, especially since it has nothing to do with the show.

I wouldn't know what to name it, but then again, I'm not a marketer.
Old 11-03-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're not going to show this show with any name. The issue in the marketing is less the dog confusion and more that it's not a show about something you can easily encapsulate in a few seconds. The name might not help, but I don't think it hurts. When you get into the show, the reason for the name quickly becomes quite apparent.
Old 11-03-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show is just incredible. It's extremely well-written, the direction and cinematography are great, and the acting is incredible. It's such a shame that the show hasn't caught on and found an audience.

These characters are so flawed, but we want them to succeed. Any other show would have had Hank save the day with the big reveal to his ex-wife, but not Terriers. They completely threw us for a loop. She had known all along and this is just another example of why she left Hank.

I loved that Bret got a chance to shine and sort of stand on his own. Both characters are so strong, so it was nice to see them working apart. It breaks my heart watching his relationship with Katie and how in the dark he is. And I feel bad for her too. I mean, she makes a mistake and things just keep getting worse and she's so scared of hurting Brett. I really hope the kid ends up being Brett's, but I don't think the writers are going to make it that easy for us, especially given all the discussion about loving your kid no matter what.

I know this show is going to be canceled, but I wish so much that it would stick around for another season.
Old 11-04-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Hank really screwed the pooch by telling his ex-wife. He even had the out not to. Despite the case in this one being relatively minor, it was still pretty damn good.

BTW, his name is Britt, not Bret.
Old 11-04-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

lol I actually did know his name was Britt, not Bret. I have a friend named Bret so it's a force of habit when I type his name. I've actually had to correct it on several occasions when posting before. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 11-04-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the marketers out there... I wasn't even tempted to try this show for just the reason outlined in this thread. There are 100 (that number is picked out of a hat) shows on TV each week and I don't have time to investigate all of them. At some point, I have to make quick decisions about which shows I'll try and which I won't... and move on with doing other things. "Terriers" may as well be "Beethoven" (yes, the series of movies about the dog). Maybe the title doesn't stop people from watching, but at least in my case, it sure did deter me. I never have, and doubt I ever will have any interest in any entertainment with dogs as a focal point. "The Event" ? Sounds interesting. "Boardwalk Empire" ? Sure. "Terriers" ? Huh? Just saying...
Old 11-04-10, 03:46 PM

It needed a bigger push and a better name. I just started watching it because I read some of the people behind the Shield were working on it and I love FX. Now it's by far my favorite TV show. I'm going to be pissed when they cancel it.
Old 11-04-10, 07:30 PM

I, too, thought this was a show about dogs, and had no interest in watching it until I finally caught a promo. I think it's a fantastically well written show, and I'm bummed that the marketing genius screwed the pooch on this one.
Old 11-05-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

At least the ratings went UP this week.
Old 11-05-10, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde
At least the ratings went UP this week.
Terriers (61 minutes)
- 0.667 million viewers
- 0.4/1 HH
- 0.3/1 A18-49

Not much, but any upward trend is welcome by me.
Old 11-05-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion
Ellen was originally called These Friends of Mine in its first season.
Old 11-05-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GroveStud
It needed a bigger push and a better name. I just started watching it because I read some of the people behind the Shield were working on it and I love FX. Now it's by far my favorite TV show. I'm going to be pissed when they cancel it.
Exactly, there were reasons I wanted to watch it, even though I had NO idea what it was about, and really had no interest based on the name.

I came to it for the Shawn Ryan pedigree, the FX network, and being a fan of both lead actors. And I'm sure the standard audience wouldn't care about any of those things. In fact, I have a friend who won't watch because Britt played
Spoiler:
the serial killer
in True Blood's first season.
Old 11-05-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Not that I'm going to compare this show to The Shield, but man, what The Shield established in Season 1 to about Season 5.. Terriers has done in 9 episodes!
Old 11-05-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Not that I'm going to compare this show to The Shield, but man, what The Shield established in Season 1 to about Season 5.. Terriers has done in 9 episodes!
So true... It's so fantastic, it's truly going to be a tragedy if this doesn't get a 2nd season. I hope they have a good ending filmed if that's the case.
Old 11-06-10, 01:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Been waiting a few weeks for it, but the theme song "Gunfight Epiphany" by Robert Duncan came out on Itunes this week. Awesome song.
Old 11-06-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

So true... It's so fantastic, it's truly going to be a tragedy if this doesn't get a 2nd season. I hope they have a good ending filmed if that's the case.
These episodes were all filmed in the Spring. So who knows if we have a clear cut ending or not. Shawn Ryan barely talks about this show on his Twitter feed anymore, he's more focused on plugging the Chicago Code.
Old 11-06-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

probably because he knows it is toast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.