Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

wireless headphones for late night tv viewing

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 05:21 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Can anyone recommend (or is there even such a thing) a pair of wireless headphones that can be turned on/off? ie: typically when you plug in headphones into a receiver, it automatically kills the sound from the speakers in favor of outputting it to the headphones. Is there a set that has a dongle or something that always stays plugged into the headphone jack, but then can be turned on and off at will allowing you to go from speakers to headphones, say while you are lying in bed?
Old 10-02-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: wireless headphones for late night tv viewing

Turning the receiver off when headphones plug in is in the receiver, not the headphones. But I think wireless headphones can plug into the RCA outputs, like from a tape output. Do you have a Zone 2 on your receiver? You could plug them in there, then turn off sound from Zone 1 when you want headphones.
Old 10-02-10, 12:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
Turning the receiver off when headphones plug in is in the receiver, not the headphones. But I think wireless headphones can plug into the RCA outputs, like from a tape output. Do you have a Zone 2 on your receiver? You could plug them in there, then turn off sound from Zone 1 when you want headphones.
That's all well and good for just audio, but unless I'm totally confused here, if I was going to watch television, thru the speakers I would have the receiver most likely on HDMI1. Television on, speakers providing the sound. If I had a set of headphones plugged into some RCA outputs, in order for the sound to be sent to that output, wouldn't I have to change the receiver to something like AV1, which gets me the sound, but thus killing the picture as I'm not longer interpreting a signal thru the HDMI.

ugh, did that make sense?
Old 10-03-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Does your TV have a jack for audio out?
Old 10-03-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um, it may be that Zone 2 only operates from an analog audio input, not from HDMI. Depends on the receiver. You could possibly run them off regular channel outputs, if your receiver has them. You would just use the front left/right outputs, and change the codec to stereo instead of whatever surround.

There's probably a way to make it work, if you analyze your receiver and purchase something compatible. What receiver do you have?
Old 10-03-10, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Does anyone make a bluetooth headphone jack adapter that is bypassed when it's not paired? I can't find one, but surely somebody has though of that.
Old 10-13-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

these are the kind I have which I enjoyed: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS1...6996542&sr=8-1

However, the left ear went dead and while it was covered under warranty, it just didn't make it to the top of my to-do list in time to get fixed. But they're fairly comfortable. You plug them into an RCA output. If you wear them for hours on end, your ears can get a little sweaty. But I liked them.
Old 10-13-10, 03:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by TLwizard
these are the kind I have which I enjoyed: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS1...6996542&sr=8-1

However, the left ear went dead and while it was covered under warranty, it just didn't make it to the top of my to-do list in time to get fixed. But they're fairly comfortable. You plug them into an RCA output. If you wear them for hours on end, your ears can get a little sweaty. But I liked them.
That's exactly what I've been using for the last couple months.

Every once in a while they'll get a little static depending on where are arms are (?) but the sound is really good and they're very comfortable considering their size. They fit a fairly large head width-wise and there's no adjustment for that so take that into consideration. They're a bit loose on my fairly large head but that's better than being too tight as so often occurs.

I do wish you could tell the base station not to turn off after a few minutes of silence though.
Old 11-06-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I use Pioneer SE-DHP800 headphones, and I have a Panny plasma, so I use optical out. I put my tv on mute, and can turn the sound on/off straight from the left ear controls.

The occasional crackle, limitations of having to be in the line of sight of the base receiver, etc., is something that just does not faze me...as the convenience of watching a Syfy movie, or Hallmark channel movie at 12 am on a Sat. without disturbing my neighbors (I live in an apt) is wonderful.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 11-06-10 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-06-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just bought the Sennheiser RS-126 myself. The transmitter is the same as the RS-120, but for some reason the headphones are HDR-126 instead of HDR-120. Looks exactly the same though.

I'm planning on using this in my home office and was going to put the transmitter/base on top of my Logitech Z-4 subwoofer. The sub isn't magnetically shielded though. Can any harm come to the Sennheiser transmitter/base (or my sub, for that matter) from putting it right on the sub?

There's nothing in the manual that mentions the base should be kept away from magnets ...
Old 11-06-10, 11:00 PM
X
Administrator

I don't think magnetism will bother it. You'll find out fast enough when you try it out.
Old 11-06-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
I don't think magnetism will bother it. You'll find out fast enough when you try it out.
I'm hesitant to be the guinea pig ...
Old 11-06-10, 11:53 PM
X
Administrator

Magnetism generally doesn't do anything to electronics, just components that have iron in them such as power transformers and the base station has an external power supply so I doubt it has any significant amount of iron in it. I don't even know if external magnetism bothers power transformers. And I'm sure the sub will be ok.

I'll try it out tonight myself with the strongest magnet I have. I'll put it right against the base station and see what happens.
Old 11-07-10, 12:02 PM
X
Administrator

I ran the magnet against the unit and, other than the recharging cradle metal, it wasn't attracted to anything that I could tell. I left the magnet on the recharging cradle and used the headphones for a couple hours and noticed no ill effects.
Old 11-07-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
I ran the magnet against the unit and, other than the recharging cradle metal, it wasn't attracted to anything that I could tell. I left the magnet on the recharging cradle and used the headphones for a couple hours and noticed no ill effects.
Thanks for testing this out, X. I'll go ahead and set the base on my sub under my desk. Not the most ideal arrangement, but the base for this set is so bulky that there really is no place for it with the rest of my desktop peripherals.