Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Books with advertisements, do they exist yet?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all these ads before movies and before/during internet clips, have books joined the game yet?

Has there ever been a book that starts off with ads at the beginning and also has them randomly placed at different parts of a book? Think of Cosmpolitan, only as a book. The table of contents is a pain in the ass to find in that mag.
Old 01-21-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Books with advertisements, do they exist yet?

The only ads I've seen in books are for other books by the same publisher/author ... or maybe an associated book club. And they've been limited to the very end, or maybe a single page in the middle.

I hope this isn't something publishers are thinking of. Though its such a simple idea someone must've thought of it, and had it shot down before it happened.
Old 01-21-10, 04:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Glad they don't and hopefully never will.
Old 01-21-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

As long as they are in the back of the book, after it is finished, then I could care less.
Old 01-22-10, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

There was a time when ads were placed in paperbacks, back in the 1960s or so.

I used to have a copy of Harlan Ellison's "Ellison in Wonderland" that had a cigarette advertisement in the middle. I was a single page, glossy color sheet. Unfortunately, the ad eventually fell out of my copy.

I believe that this might be the ad that so infuriated Ellison that he mailed a dead gopher fourth class to the book's publisher...
Old 01-24-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paperbacks are full of ads, but they don't bother me. Although I don't like cardboard cards in the middle of the binding.
Old 01-29-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...oks_105156.asp
Yesterday GalleyCat readers discussed how DailyLit, the book-serialization website with 150,000 subscribers, brought advertisements to digital books.

GalleyCat readers reminded us that these ideas are hardly new. Peter Lebensold explained that "the earliest Penguin paperbacks (published for British servicemen during WWII) also had ads -- for the likes of Gillette."

Reader Andrew Wheeler wrote that "paperbacks from the '60s and '70s routinely had bound-in advertisements," and reminded us that author Fay Weldon pioneered the art of novel product placement with her book, The Bulgari Connection. As reported in 2001, Weldon was paid by the Bulgari jewelry company to include the brand in her story.

Quoted in M.J. Rose's an excellent Salon.com piece about the topic, Weldon defended the practice: "It always seemed to me that in advertising you were making up little stories and using language to sell products. And with novels you were making up little stories and using language to sell ideas. So for a while I sold products and then I moved on and sold ideas -- like feminism. And now I've done a book that is mostly one but a little bit of the other."