Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Sara Palin

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sara Palin

So any thoughts about Sara Palin's book?
I have mine coming in book audio cd to hear her voice.
Old 11-18-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Sara Palin

I'm getting the kindle version. I heard on the radio this morning she reveals the truth about that Katie Couric interview she did. They said you'll have a completely different view after reading the chapter.
Old 11-18-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
I'm getting the kindle version. I heard on the radio this morning she reveals the truth about that Katie Couric interview she did. They said you'll have a completely different view after reading the chapter.
I not sure if you could have a different view of her after the interview, those questions were easy, she was just bad and it wasnt just those interviews

. As far as her book I stopped by Barnes and Noble tonight as she was going to be there signing her book. I been too many Book signings and this felt the most orchestrated if there ever was one. They handed a paper out to everyone with the dos/donts. I didnt buy her book, I just waited till she arrived then I left, but she gets off the bus holding Trig, which didnt make sense, it was cold and sprinkling, why bring a baby out............ but it was for a photo op. They took pictures and then some guy not todd snatched the baby up and brought him back on the bus. (so she brought out the baby holding it till some pictures were taken then baby was put back on the bus like a prop) She said a couple lines that made it felt like a Politically rally. then she went inside.

It was neat seeing reporters from the big networks and shows, but the whole thing felt very unnatural.
Old 11-19-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh i'm sure she'll put her own little spins and gotchas on everything. I wouldn't even use that book as toilet paper...
Old 11-19-09, 10:35 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
I stopped by Barnes and Noble tonight as she was going to be there signing her book......
Is this the one you were at:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELj91GjsPT4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELj91GjsPT4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-19-09, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure she has a great explanation for not being able to name a single news publication.

To each their own and all, but I don't see the appeal of reading the ghost written life story of a woman who spent most of her political career in this office:

It's my understanding that the text is mostly paranoid indictments against the evil liberals and their blog army, the 20 year old father of her daughter's child, and the McCain staffers responsible for her relevance. Peperred with some self-aggrandizement divorced from any real self-reflection, I'm sure.
Old 11-19-09, 02:43 PM

yeah that mall and barnes and Noble is just a couple minutes from my house.
Old 11-19-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You ever gonna spell her name right?
Old 11-19-09, 04:27 PM

I got it out of the library for the lulz.

The best part was when the ghostwriter wrote that she (Palin) doesn't think "loving, thinking humans" evolved from fish and "grew legs & sprouted out of the sea."

I was laughing myself into a fit.
Old 11-19-09, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maingon
I not sure if you could have a different view of her after the interview, those questions were easy, she was just bad and it wasnt just those interviews

. As far as her book I stopped by Barnes and Noble tonight as she was going to be there signing her book. I been too many Book signings and this felt the most orchestrated if there ever was one. They handed a paper out to everyone with the dos/donts. I didnt buy her book, I just waited till she arrived then I left, but she gets off the bus holding Trig, which didnt make sense, it was cold and sprinkling, why bring a baby out............ but it was for a photo op. They took pictures and then some guy not todd snatched the baby up and brought him back on the bus. (so she brought out the baby holding it till some pictures were taken then baby was put back on the bus like a prop) She said a couple lines that made it felt like a Politically rally. then she went inside.

It was neat seeing reporters from the big networks and shows, but the whole thing felt very unnatural.
And if she didn't bring the baby you would say she's an unfit mother leaving the baby with a stranger. That she rather be out feeding her her ego than caring for her baby.
Old 11-19-09, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Oh i'm sure she'll put her own little spins and gotchas on everything. I wouldn't even use that book as toilet paper...
But what was said about her that you'll use. But wait most was said on t.v.
I guess you could use dvd recordings of David Lettermen's TOP 10.
Old 11-19-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Which is total nonsense. Even if you buy into the idea that Couric was trying to trip her up (which I see no reason to buy into), it's a completely inane idea. She was essentially interviewing to be the VICE PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES. One heartbeat (and an old man's heartbeat at that) away from being the LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD. If she's that easily rattled by an (allegedly) hostile interview, what does that tell you?

This woman is a walking, breathing cliche. She's an intellectual lightweight who has managed to capture the attention of a small segment of a very bruised and smarting far-right (bear in mind I'm an economic conservative here). I think there are plenty of good and capable people in the Republican party that could carry a banner, but Sara Palin is not one of them. Not even close. She's way too divisive, and frankly, not nearly intelligent enough.

I'm actually a little surprised she wrote a book. Hell, I'd have been a bit surprised to learn that she'd read one. Which newspapers do you read, Sara? Oh, you know, all of them. Whatever.

*sigh*
Old 11-19-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Which is total nonsense. Even if you buy into the idea that Couric was trying to trip her up (which I see no reason to buy into), it's a completely inane idea. She was essentially interviewing to be the VICE PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES. One heartbeat (and an old man's heartbeat at that) away from being the LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD. If she's that easily rattled by an (allegedly) hostile interview, what does that tell you?

This woman is a walking, breathing cliche. She's an intellectual lightweight who has managed to capture the attention of a small segment of a very bruised and smarting far-right (bear in mind I'm an economic conservative here). I think there are plenty of good and capable people in the Republican party that could carry a banner, but Sara Palin is not one of them. Not even close. She's way too divisive, and frankly, not nearly intelligent enough.

I'm actually a little surprised she wrote a book. Hell, I'd have been a bit surprised to learn that she'd read one. Which newspapers do you read, Sara? Oh, you know, all of them. Whatever.

*sigh*
I'm not sure what carries less merit. Calling a person an "intellectual lightweight" and condemning them when you can't even spell their name right, or calling them a "breathing cliche" when you just spouted off every redundant left-wing trite term for her that has been broadcast and written a thousand times over the past year.

I'm not even a supporter of her, just pointing out the irony of the post.
Old 11-19-09, 08:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You ever gonna spell her name right?
Yes, please spell it correctly: Sara Pahlin. Thank you.
Old 11-19-09, 10:19 PM

Sarah Paylin

Duh.
Old 11-19-09, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
And if she didn't bring the baby you would say she's an unfit mother leaving the baby with a stranger. That she rather be out feeding her her ego than caring for her baby.
no I wouldnt, There was just no reason for her to carry her baby out to a book signing, just for some pictures then have someone take the baby back on the bus, it just felt very wierd being there.
Old 11-19-09, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I'm not sure what carries less merit. Calling a person an "intellectual lightweight" and condemning them when you can't even spell their name right, or calling them a "breathing cliche" when you just spouted off every redundant left-wing trite term for her that has been broadcast and written a thousand times over the past year.

Just because an opinion has been repeatedly expressed - "a thousand times" - it doesn't mean it is less valid just because we are so familiar with the sentiment. As far as I'm concerned, it's an "Emperor's New Clothes" thing. It seems like some people are utterly convinced she is wearing clothes (i.e.- she is a valid national political figure, with sufficient gravitas and command of the issues), and nothing we trite lefties can point out will change that.
Old 11-19-09, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yes, please spell it correctly: Sara Pahlin. Thank you.
It's Serra Paylin. I know. I saw it in a movie.
Old 11-19-09, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I'm not sure what carries less merit. Calling a person an "intellectual lightweight" and condemning them when you can't even spell their name right
I wasn't running for vice president. But if you'd like to forward the argument that she's of higher intellect than I am, be my guest. Not sure that in any qualifies her for anything, though.

If I criticize an actor for a bad performance, must I be a better actor for the criticism to be valid? If I criticize a chef for overcooking a steak, must I be a better chef for the criticism to be valid? My own intellectual capacities (and I don't think a misspelling is the be-all and end-all of intellectual capacity ... otherwise Einstein was a total moron) is irrelevant to the question of hers.

or calling them a "breathing cliche" when you just spouted off every redundant left-wing trite term for her that has been broadcast and written a thousand times over the past year.
The observations need not be unique to be valid. Perhaps they've been repeated by a lot of folks for a reason (and no matter how you might insist otherwise, it's not just the "left-wing," as evidenced by me, a firm centrist ... socially liberal, economically conservative).

Do you feel better now? Unfortunately, this thread is not about me. Have you anything on-topic to add?

Last edited by mgbfan; 11-19-09 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-20-09, 02:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Who stunk up the forum?

There is a political forum in which to posture.

Anyone wishing to discuss the book, please feel free to start another thread.

Thanks to all in advance for their understanding and cooperation.