Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Sheep 2: Crisis on Infinite Sheep

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 11:03 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Comic Book Sheep 2: Crisis on Infinite Sheep

Not a hoax! Not a dream! Not an imaginary story! It's ...

Never played before? I don't believe you exist. Everyone on the forum has played one of these by now. But just in case, here are the ...

Rules

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a superheo." A good answer would be Superman and a bad answer might be Ragman.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a comic book writer". Geoff Johns might be a bad answer, but Don MacGreggor might be a good answer. (Unless you think everyone else is trying to go as obscure as possible, in which case you might outsmart them by naming Geoff Johns).
  • Sheep scores are tallied as negative numbers. Reverse Sheep scores are tallied as positive numbers. The lowest score wins.
  • The answers to each question are tallied up. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer. This penalty is multiplied by the Lightning Round Multiplier. Wrong answers in Sheep are not penalized.
  • Certain rounds are considered Lightning Rounds (designated by a multiplier, such as ×2). In these rounds, scores are adjusted by the number on the multiplier. A wrong answer still gets a +4 penalty in a ×2 round and a +6 penalty in a ×3 round, and so on. In a sheep round, a wrong answer scores normally.
  • Important Google Rule: The assumption is that you will not use Google, Wikipedia, etc. You may choose to do so. However, if you so choose, you must indicate each answer for which you have used an outside resource by placing an asterisk (*) before the answer. You will be penalized one point for your first asterisked answer, two points for your second asterisked answer, three points for your third asterisked answer, and so on. Google penalties are not multiplied on a question with a multiplier.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.
  • Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5 or more Uniques are awarded -1 each
    A Googled answer is not eligible for the bonus, but still counts when tallying the number of unique answers
  • NEW: An incorrect Sheep answer on a fact-based Sheep question can not be the highest scoring answer. If the most common sheep answer is not correct, it will be scored as one point less than the most common correct answer (before the multiplier, so 2-points less on a double-point question, 3 points less on a triple-point question, and so on). For example, if the question is "Name a shape," and players answer as follows, the scores would be as indicated in parentheses:
    8 people answer: Apple (4)
    5 people answer: Square (5)
    3 people answer: Triangle (3)
    3 people answer: Dog (3)
    2 people answer: Circle (2)
    1 person answers: Black (0)
    Square, Triangle, and Circle are scored normally. Apple is scored as one point less than the highest scoring correct answer. Dog is scored normally, since a normal score for that answer is less than the highest scoring correct answer. Black is also scored normally, giving Venusian zero points. Obviously, there are no wrong answers on the opinion-based Sheep questions.
  • To assist you in submitting your answers, a spreadsheep is available here.

The Questions

1. S: ×2 Besides the Joker, name a Batman villain.
  2. R: Name a "legacy character" -- a character where two or more people have used the name -- where multiple versions of the character have had their own comic.
  3. R: ×2 Name a series that ran or has run for at least 400 issues
  4. S: Besides Archie Andrews, name one of the kids from Riverdale
  5. R: Name a comic based on a toy-license that lasted for 12 issues or more
  6. S: Name a Green Lantern from somewhere other than Earth
  7. S: Name a song that contains a reference to a superhero or comics
  8. R: Name one of the animal species in Maus
  9. R: ×3 Name one of the costumed or powered characters in Watchmen
  10. S: DC is selling one of its characters to Marvel. The character who would best fit in the Marvel Universe is ______.
  11. S: Marvel is selling one of its characters to DC. The character who would best fit in the DC Universe is ______.
  12. R: Name someone who has been editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics
  13. S: What company publishes the best comics?
  14. R: Name a member of the BPRD
  15. S: Which superhero has the worst Rogue's Gallery?
  16. R: ×2 Name a female member of the X-Men from Chris Claremont's original run
  17. S: Name a real person who has appeared in a comic book.
  18. S: Name a title that Jack Kirby worked on, but never worked on with Stan Lee.
  19. R: Over the years, DC has published many stories featuring characters originally published by other companies. Name one of those companies
  20. R: Name one of the Endless from Neil Gaiman's Sandman
  21. R: Name a Marvel character (past or present) with gamma powers
  22. S: ×3 Which character who has never been adapted to a live action TV show or movie should be?
  23. S: ×3 Name a character who uses magic
  24. S: ×4 Name one of the original members of the Sinister Six (Hint: They fought Spider-Man)
  25. R: ×5 Captain Marvel draws his power from six different beings when he says the word "Shazam." Name one of those beings.

I will allow answers through 5:00 PM EDT Friday, August 7, or until we hit 40-or-so players, whichever comes first. Results will be posted at some point thereafter, as my schedule permits.

Last edited by JasonF; 08-03-09 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic Book Sheep 2: Crisis on Infinite Sheep

Heres to not finishing last again!
Old 08-02-09, 08:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in this time myself.

Good luck everyone.
Old 08-02-09, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Oops -- I just realized 9 and 23 are the same; once as a sheep, once as a reverse sheep. I changed #23. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Old 08-02-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn it, having trouble with these
Old 08-02-09, 12:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Damn it, having trouble with these
Sorry. I know I'm a huge comic book nerd, but I tried to come up with questions that people could answer even if they weren't. I also reduced the google penalty on this one so it increases by one point per Google instead of doubling.
Old 08-02-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 08-02-09, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Also, thanks to Bus, who sent me a bunch of questions. I used some of his, and some of his were ones I independently came up with. The fact that he and I think enough alike that we're coming up with overlpaing questions scares me.
Old 08-02-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm in!
Old 08-02-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

submitted. Had to use Google a couple of times on this one unfortunately.

I left out a few answers by accident when typing it up and sent you the revised one right after the other one. I should have used the spreadsheet but didn't feel like signing up for a google account.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 08-02-09 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

#14: what is BPRD? If I google that but don't need to google an answer, does that count against me?
Old 08-02-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

sent via PM
Old 08-02-09, 08:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Why do 16 and 19 have asterisks?
Because the forum software was randomly sticking asterisks in my post for some reason. I thought I edited them all out, but I missed those two. They're gone now.
Old 08-02-09, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
censored...
I wish you had posted that before I googled it. I would at least have been able to answer it then. You might want to delete you post if it is giving too much away.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 08-03-09 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I wish you had posted that before I googled it. I would at least have been able to answer it then. You might want to delete you post if it is giving too much away.
Good point. Might want to delete my quoted message then.
Old 08-03-09, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

A couple questions I had (and just ignore this if part of the game is to not ask questions, and just see what answers are given):

For #6, are we talking anyone who was at one point a member of the GL Corps?

For #22, would something that's currently being made but not yet finished/released count?

The googles are nice ... I wouldn't think about playing otherwise, since I'd just look stupid on a few of the questions.
Old 08-03-09, 08:32 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by brainee
A couple questions I had (and just ignore this if part of the game is to not ask questions, and just see what answers are given):

For #6, are we talking anyone who was at one point a member of the GL Corps?

For #22, would something that's currently being made but not yet finished/released count?

The googles are nice ... I wouldn't think about playing otherwise, since I'd just look stupid on a few of the questions.
Put it this way: I won't count a former member of the GL Corps as wrong, and I won't count an in-production movie as wrong. Keep in mind, however, that both of these are Sheep questions, so you want the most common answer.
Old 08-03-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I submitted answers. Holy cow do I not know much about comic books. I didn't realize the google penalty didn't double. I would have used it a lot more. Some of my answers are just plain stupid. Oh, well. We'll see how this goes.
Old 08-03-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had to use my first google in a sheep game here!
Old 08-03-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already submitted my answers, but I have a question about #2. Does "character [that] have had their own comic" refer to a comics specifically titled to that character or do anthology titles count? For instance, Superhero X was a regular feature in Adventure Comics (say, at least 12 issues), but showed up nowhere else as a solo feature. Then, the legacy Superhero X is introduced and has his own self-titled comic.

If anthology titles don't count, I may have to change my answer.

Last edited by RKillgore; 08-03-09 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-03-09, 01:40 PM
Suspended

I would say having a feature in an anthology comic does not count as having your own title. What say ye, mob?
Old 08-03-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Is there a rush to get in? I'm going to send my answers in, but I want to research a couple of questions - so it might not be until later on today if I do that.

I also had a question about "legacy" characters. Is having a different name required ... or is just two clearly distinct characters (but still using the same name) good enough.

Last edited by brainee; 08-03-09 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
I would say having a feature in an anthology comic does not count as having your own title. What say ye, mob?
I'll go along with your judgment (you are the Sheepmaster), but I'd like a little more clarification. Is it necessary for both the original and legacy to have their own self-titled comic? Or is one or the other sufficient?
Old 08-03-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in...I had to use Google once...
Old 08-03-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
I'll go along with your judgment (you are the Sheepmaster), but I'd like a little more clarification. Is it necessary for both the original and legacy to have their own self-titled comic? Or is one or the other sufficient?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.