Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Upconverting Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Upconverting Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upconverting Question

I'm new here so let me first say hello to everyone.
Here's my situation. I have a 32" LCD tv that does progressive scan through component and hdmi. My only dvd player is my xbox 360 and that is hooked up through component since i have an older model and it doesn't have hdmi connections. When i'm watching DVD's the resolution will only be 480p, but when i'm playing video games it's at 1080i. Can anyone tell my why is that? Anyways, i went out yesterday and bought an upconverting dvd player since bllue ray players are still expensive as are the dvds for it as well. When i put in a dvd and played it, it only produced 720p and not 1080i even though the dvd player converts up to 1080p. My tv is a vizio VW32L and the upcoverter is a philips DVP5990/37.
So my main question is, does the upconverter actually working on my tv. i've only watched one dvd on it so far and haven't really noticed any difference. The dvd was seinfeld first season so the quailty on the dvd isn't that good anyways

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Old 01-13-09, 07:32 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Upconverting Question

Does your TV accept a 1080p signal?

I just got a DVP5992 and have been comparing the upconverted output with the TV doing the scaling instead. It appears the player doing the upconversion is a little bit sharper. Not much of a difference if you're not doing an A-B comparison. This is through HDMI.

You can set the player to whatever resolution your set can accept. Did you do that?
Old 01-13-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Upconverting Question

The DVDp is probably set to auto and since the TV thinks 720p is the best choice, it ran with it. Per the Vizio site, it does not accept 1080p, so you won't get that.

Pretty much the choice is a little more resolution with 1080i converted down to the native 768, or the possibly smoother 720p, but that will be converted again by the TV to the 768.

Try each setting watching a particular scene over and over, see which one you like.