Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need help with a strange XBox 360 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a strange XBox 360 problem

I'm wondering if anyone here can give me input or thoughts on a strange Xbox 360 problem.

I got a 360 Elite when they first came out. I had no problems with it, until last summer. The DVD drive on it died, so I got a refurbished system. That system the disc door wouldn't open (or it would have pressing 5 or 6 times) so the very next day I sent that one out. The next replacement was a system made in June of 08.

It started freezing up occasionally when I got it. The first night I got it to I was chatting with a friend, not playing a game and it froze up. I remember Rock Band freezing a couple of times. Then it stopped freezing as much. It froze a couple of times on Dark Sector, a couple of times on Viking, and towards the end of Star Wars: Force Unleashed (please no remarks on the titles themselves). Rock Band 2 played fine, and I even got the steel bladder achievement. Gears of War 2 played fine, it only froze once on the title screen.

Dead Space would freeze constantly nonstop. I cleared my cache and I was able to play it (or I should say have it on) for about 3 hours, a lot of that time was paused. It didn't freeze until towards the end when I was about to quit playing for the night. The next day I played again and the freezing continued to occur.

Dead Rising wouldn't make it past the loading screen, wouldn't freeze but would just sit there. I had to clear the cashe again.

Left 4 Dead froze constantly. I couldn't make it through a campaign without it freezing. I tried it without the hard drive and made it to the end of the first campaign, and I got frustrated and quit. So I sent my hard drive to get it repaired. I tried playing Left 4 Dead with a memory card. At first it froze. I deleted the save file and cleared the cache on the memory card and the game didn't freeze. The next day I tried the second campaign and it froze again as well. I did all of the steps again and the game didn't freeze.

When I got my hard drive back I recovered my gamer tag and did nothing else (I might have redownloaded everything right away, I not quite sure). Without coping everything over Left 4 Dead froze again. So I sent my Xbox in for repairs. I got it on Friday.

Friday night I played through a lot of Guitar Hero: World Tour with no problems. Tried Left 4 Dead yet again, and it froze near the end of the third campaign. Microsoft suggested I make a new gamer tag and try it. I did and within half an hour it froze.

Any idea what could be causing this? I doubt it is the disc because Dead Space constantly froze, Left 4 Dead constantly freezes, and Tomb Raider Underworld froze on the first level. I've tried installing the games to the hard drive and that does nothing.

Microsoft wants me to try again without the hard drive and leave the game on for 6 or 7 hours straight playing it occasionally. I'll try that tomorrow.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Last edited by cerial442; 01-11-09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-11-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Need help with a strange XBox 360 problem

I tried it without the hard drive and the game froze right at the title screen. Could it be the power supply? I also have it on a table off of the carpet.
Old 01-26-09, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Any update?
Old 01-28-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Any update?
I played through Mirrors Edge twice and no freezing occurred. I finally got a rental of Left 4 Dead from Gamefly and it also froze.

So it isn't the game, doesn't seem like it would be the system (although this one froze once on the Doritos Destruction game and once when trying to watch a free video), and its not the hard drive.

I looked online and some other people are encountering freezing on Left 4 Dead and Dead Space. I again cleared the cache and deleted the game save and tried reinstalling the game.

I played the game from the hard drive, offline, and on easy and no freeze ups. I'm not going to say its working, but its a start. I'm going to try it again on easy and if it doesn't freeze up I will try it on normal and see.
Old 01-29-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some may say this is ruthless, but I personally would wrap the sucker up in blankets, run it for a few hours and get it to RROD so you can send it back for a free replacement.
Old 01-29-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ I don't know how this trick works for everyone, or if it does at all. I tried this with my first 360 and left it on overnight wrapped up in blankets and the fucker still didn't die. After 3 days of doing this I just sold it for parts on E bay and bought another one...
Old 01-29-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I want or need to get a replacement I can call and tell them it is freezing up, I'm still under warranty from the last time I sent it in. I still don't think its necessarily the console though. The last one I had was doing the same. Also wouldn't it freeze on all games? So far it is really only doing badly on two games, Dead Space and Left 4 Dead. Mirror's Edge played perfectly fine.