Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any advice for a PS3 video problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-09, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Any advice for a PS3 video problem?

I bought a PS3 (the backwards compatible 80 GB version) last January. And there were no problems ... until later in the year, when this video problem popped up. I started getting these sporadic horizontal blue static-like lines popping up from the HDMI output. I tried new cables (gold plated 28 AWG 1.3a 2m ones from monoprice). I tried swapping in cables I knew worked from other devices. I tried resetting the system. I tried moving the PS3 around (at least within the limited range the cables gave me). Nothing worked. I called Sony CS, and they told me to send it back. I did, and a new PS3 arrived. And ... it has the same freakin' problem

I'm not sure what to do now. Has anyone else had a similar problem? What confuses me is that things were fine for months ... nothing new was added when things started to go wrong. It feels like a cable/interference problem, but aside from new cables and playing around with the PS3's location I don't know what else I can do (except buy a more expensive HDMI cable, which most reports agree is a waste of money).
Old 01-03-09, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I would definitely say it's a tv or interference problem if a second PS3 has the same issue. Do you have another HDMI port on your TV you can try?
Old 01-03-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by collven
I would definitely say it's a tv or interference problem if a second PS3 has the same issue. Do you have another HDMI port on your TV you can try?
I'd agree with this. Have you tried a different HDMI port or a different TV?

If you can't try the PS3 on a different port, do you have another device you can try in the HDMI port, such as a DVD player, etc and see if it has the same issue.
Old 01-03-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sniper308
I'd agree with this. Have you tried a different HDMI port or a different TV?

If you can't try the PS3 on a different port, do you have another device you can try in the HDMI port, such as a DVD player, etc and see if it has the same issue.
My TV has 1 HDMI input, and it's the only HDTV I own. I have 2 devices with HDMI output: my HD cable box and PS3. Both outputs go into a switcher (also purchased from monoprice), with a third HDMI cable running from the switcher to the tv.

Like I said, interference was the first thing I thought of. The HD image from the cable box is perfectly fine. So I swapped cables and positions of the PS3 and cable box - and the cable box is still fine, and the PS3 still has these "static" lines It also puzzles me that this problem only popped up after months, with nothing changing about my electronics set-up.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe I need a "shielding-heavy" HDMI cable (beyond the regular one I got from monoprice)? Since I try to keep my cables to a minimum length (to cut down on clutter and interference problems), there's only so far that I can move the PS3 around.
Old 01-03-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
My TV has 1 HDMI input, and it's the only HDTV I own. I have 2 devices with HDMI output: my HD cable box and PS3. Both outputs go into a switcher (also purchased from monoprice), with a third HDMI cable running from the switcher to the tv.

Like I said, interference was the first thing I thought of. The HD image from the cable box is perfectly fine. So I swapped cables and positions of the PS3 and cable box - and the cable box is still fine, and the PS3 still has these "static" lines It also puzzles me that this problem only popped up after months, with nothing changing about my electronics set-up.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe I need a "shielding-heavy" HDMI cable (beyond the regular one I got from monoprice)? Since I try to keep my cables to a minimum length (to cut down on clutter and interference problems), there's only so far that I can move the PS3 around.
Just curious, I'm assuming it also does this even when the switcher is removed from the equation? I can understand not thinking its an issue, since the cable box doesn't have the issue and its using the switcher, but I'd eliminate as many variables as possible.
Old 01-03-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sniper308
Just curious, I'm assuming it also does this even when the switcher is removed from the equation? I can understand not thinking its an issue, since the cable box doesn't have the issue and its using the switcher, but I'd eliminate as many variables as possible.
Yeah, this problem is still around when I run the HDMI cable directly from the TV to the PS3.
Old 01-03-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not the PS3.

Have you looked into the firmware of the TV? Updating it?
Old 01-03-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to a friend's place and try it on their TV.
Old 01-04-09, 04:57 PM

maybe it is because your tv problem. try it on some other tv