Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Waltz with Bashir (Ari Folman, 2008) — Animated documentary on the 1982 Lebanon War

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Waltz with Bashir (Ari Folman, 2008) — Animated documentary on the 1982 Lebanon War

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Trailer | IMDB | NYFF: Oct. 1 & 2, 2008 | Release: December 26, 2008

One night at a bar, an old friend tells director Ari about a recurring nightmare in which he is chased by 26 vicious dogs. Every night, the same number of beasts. The two men conclude that there's a connection to their Israeli Army mission in the first Lebanon War of the early eighties. Ari is surprised that he can't remember a thing anymore about that period of his life. Intrigued by this riddle, he decides to meet and interview old friends and comrades around the world. He needs to discover the truth about that time and about himself. As Ari delves deeper and deeper into the mystery, his memory begins to creep up in surreal images.

<hr>

Really looking forward to this one.
Old 09-25-08, 08:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Given Sony Pictures release pattern, this will get released in 'limited' select cities on the 26th of December, then wide in January ('09).
Old 11-03-08, 09:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
saw this yesterday and was honestly floored - what a powerful film. The animation is stunning and the way the story and animation progresses, more dreamlike in the beginning and more traditional documentary to the final heartwrenching shot. Given the subject matter this is a strong contender to be included in the final five nominations for best foreign film.
Old 02-27-09, 02:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts
Re: Waltz with Bashir (Ari Folman, 2008) — Animated documentary on the 1982 Lebanon W

have to say, though the subject matter was powerful and intense, this movie bored me to tears.

i really wanted to like it and from the opening animation i thought i was going to be so into it, as it got going or better, didn't get going, as the whole movie is told in slow motion, my fervor quickly died and i can see why it didn't win the award as i am sure voters thought similar as the animated realism wore off.

and the one scene:
Spoiler:
graphic sex scene
really did not need to be there or at least not done that way and i am sure turned many off.

don't get me wrong, the story is powerful and the events surrounding it true and real, this just captured it in a very very slow way imo.