Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Joy Division Reissues Question

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just obtained all the Joy Division 2-disc Collector's Editions for my birthday recently. Is it still worth it to pick up the Heart & Soul box set that was released a few years back? I understand there is a significant amount of overlapping bonus materials, but wasn't certain if there are some versions on the box set worth owning. Thanks!
Old 07-08-08, 11:52 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably yes. For some reason, they didn't re-release the singles compilation Substance alongside Unknown Pleasures, Closer, and Still. There's quite a few tracks unique to that release that you can find on the box set (and many of those tracks are arguably essential, like the songs from the An Ideal for Living EP, and Atmosphere). You also get a few rarities not available anywhere else, and a disc of live material.

Of course, if you're not that interested in the rarities and live disc and want to save money, you could just seek out a copy of Substance.

Last edited by sb5; 07-08-08 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool. Looks like I'll be adding that to the collection as well. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-08-08, 04:09 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just so you know, here are the studio tracks on Substance that aren't on Unknown Pleasures, Closer, or Still:

Warsaw
No Love Lost
Leaders of Men
Failures
Digital
Transmission
Novelty
Autosuggestion
From Safety to Where...?
She's Lost Control 12"
Atmosphere
Komakino
Incubation
Love Will Tear Us Apart
These Days

Every one of these tracks are also on the Heart and Soul boxset, so if you do decide to get that, you won't need Substance.
Old 07-08-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heart And Soul is all the joy you need in this life for sure.
Old 07-08-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heart & Soul is absolutely essential. There are 2 discs of mostly unreleased stuff and you get the original "demo" recording of Ceremony.

If you like Joy Division, you must own Heart & Soul.

That's not my opinion, that's the law of being a JD fan.
Old 07-08-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just put my Amazon gift card to good use, then. I ordered Heart & Soul and also picked up the BBC Sessions as well. As long as we're discussing JD, do I need "Warsaw"?
Old 07-09-08, 12:46 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's probably more of a completist thing than an essential purchase. There's only one song on the scrapped RCA album that wasn't released in another form on their official releases (The Drawback, which is also on the boxset's rarities disc). The RCA album pales next to the official versions of the same tracks, imo, though it is interesting to see how different the songs and the band sound because of the production.

Their first 5 song demo is interesting from a historical perspective, but I don't think you're missing that much.

My advice is to wait until you get the boxset (it has 3 of the RCA album's tracks), and after going through that you still want more, pick it up.
Old 07-09-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SB5 - thanks for the assistance. I'll have a LOT of new music to listen to this month