Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Argento's Mother of Tears finally hits on September 21st!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6808
Old 06-26-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can't wait to finally check this out!
Old 06-26-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be picking it up, but it was very disappointing to me.
Old 06-26-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had the UK R2 disc. It was pretty dissapointing. I might pick up the R1 disc if it has some interesting extras, the R2 disc had none.
Old 06-26-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this at a horror convention last weekend. I was very disappointed with this (it was almost laughed out of the screening room by the audience as well). I would suggest renting this one before buying.
Old 06-26-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I'll be picking it up, but it was very disappointing to me.
Why buy if you didn't like it?
Old 06-26-08, 01:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too have not heard good things -- will rent it though.
Old 06-26-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
argento completist?
Old 06-26-08, 02:08 PM

The link also contains the first mention of a new 3 disc collector's edition of Rob Zombie's Halloween to be released on Oct. 21st. It contains an all-new 4 1/2 hour documentary on the making of the film according to the fangoria.com link.
Old 06-26-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disappointing about all these negative comments.

But considering the quality of his films the last few years, I'm not surprised.
Old 06-26-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems less cinematic....it's got this weird Sci Fi channel feel to it, or at least, it did to me.
Old 06-26-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've heard wildly negative reviews and some glowing positive ones too. Regardless, I think people like to tear down a new Argento. Recently, I've been seeing some of his stuff I haven't seen prior like Phenomena and Tenebre-those are really good.

His newer stuff, yes, isn't on par with his classics and even his good films. But closer watching will reveal at least his trying his hand in new directions. From Two Evil Eyes on, I believe many would consider his films to be apart of his "new" films or if you broke up his filmography into thirds, this third has some of what fans call his clunkers. True, Trauma was just ok, Card Player bland, Do you like Hitchcock? bad, but here reveals two things.

One, Argento has have some good films, but people are too blinded by his newer films to appreciate the few that are good. Stendhal Syndrome is awesome, a minor Argento classic, that needs a re-look by general horror fans. Jenifer, despite being a 'short film' is really good; it easily trumps DYLH?, Trauma, Phantom of the Opera, even Pelts. Same with Two Evil Eyes-his segment is a furious mix of surreal images and violence.

Two, he's playing with some newer ideas and techniques, many which some fans have disregarded as Argento hacking it up. While many films in this period are truely average compared to Deep Red, Suspiria, Tenebre, Bird with Crystal Plummage, to me one thing that can never be said about Argento is that he continues old tricks. Essentially, Card Player disproves me but while visually Mother of Tears doesn't feel kindred to Suspira & Inferno, it's a new age and I heard he's tried to push himself futher with MoT.

Well, we'll see. I just don't truely understand the negativeness toward Argento. I think he still earns the title master and he's survived in a dead filmmaking community in Italy where TV is where it is.

(I left talk of Sleepless out because I've never seen it)

I will buy MoT. Can't wait.
Old 06-26-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
I'm very anxious to rent this one. Regardless of some of the negative reviews, I can't wait to see how Argento decided to wrap up his Mother trilogy.
Old 06-26-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Same reason I own Jaws 3 + 4. I have to have it all.
Old 06-27-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I'm not expecting much, but I still want to complete my "Three Mothers Trilogy."
Old 06-27-08, 03:33 AM

La Tierza Madre or Mother of Tears was a very disappointing way to end Argento's Three Mothers trilogy. Not that Inferno was a masterpiece....it wasn't compared to Suspiria but it did share the same trademark Argento cinematography. I suppose it wouldn't have been that bad if Argento hadn't made us wait 17 years for it. It was just a let down for me.

Mother of Tears doesn't really feel like an Argento movie. Yes, it has Asia in the lead role and yes, the gore is pretty impressive but the atmosphere is just not the same. Maybe Argento is getting tired of doing the same things over and over again, I don't know.

The story itself is just not very well put together but then again, I didn't think Inferno made too much sense either but I still liked it. The movie ends almost abruptly as Inferno and there really wasn't too much of a climax or characterization.

I'd suggest people rent it first and then purchase if you're an Argento fanatic...or just a horror movie completest. I don't think I'll be picking this one up to put next to Suspiria and Inferno.
Old 06-27-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Same reason I own Jaws 3 + 4. I have to have it all.
This is pathological behavior. It is an irrational compulsion, and it quite possibly affects other aspects of your life. You are right to feel sad about it. You should attempt to correct it.

This irrational consumerism - here, the "collector" mentality, particularly the extreme completist sort - is the same pathology that causes animal hording ("cat lady" syndrome), binge eating, and other obsessive behaviors. Simply put, it is unhealthy and can easily spiral out of control.
Old 06-27-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
This is pathological behavior. It is an irrational compulsion, and it quite possibly affects other aspects of your life. You are right to feel sad about it. You should attempt to correct it.

This irrational consumerism - here, the "collector" mentality, particularly the extreme completist sort - is the same pathology that causes animal hording ("cat lady" syndrome), binge eating, and other obsessive behaviors. Simply put, it is unhealthy and can easily spiral out of control.

I actually enjoy parts of Jaws 3 and 4. I was disappointed in Mother of Tears compared to the greatness of the first two in the trilogy, but its still decent enough for me to own. I love Argento. Don't quit your day job.
Old 06-30-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I missed this one in theaters. I'll be picking it up asap. I've heard mixed things, but I'm an Argento completeist so it doesn't matter much.