Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Continued from:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=507435

Last statements were:

Shiren the Wanderer = Insane Japanese Game
Ninja Gaiden and Mr. Driller = Stupid America Crap

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
That way you guys can talk about your insane Japanese games and I can stay in my comfort zone of stupid American crap.

Back on topic, anyone else enjoying the Ninja Gaiden DS game?
Indeed.
Old 04-22-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jokes are fun.
Old 04-22-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The World Ends With You comes out TOMORROW.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=525243

DS Game of the Year 2008. DS Game of All Time?

From the Abyss, Co-Op Action RPG that gives off a Secret of the Mana vibe:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1211046_1407.html

Izuna 2: The Unemplued Ninja Returns, another graphical roguelike approaches:
http://www.atlus.com/izuna2/

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, news coming soon!

Sigma Harmonics, a graphic adventure with RPG battles from Square-Enix:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1214688_1407.html

Final Fantasy IV DS, coming to English in July.

DRAGON QUEST IV: Best RPG of All Time Chapters of the Chosen, practically confirmed for a US release:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=529678
Old 04-22-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a new Castlevania coming? Shit I was thinking about selling my DS Lite, but I can't resist those darn games.
Old 04-22-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
If anyone is interested, Amazon DotD: Bleach for $18.99
Old 04-22-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Obviously looking forward to DQIV and Castlevania. Can't wait to hear impressions of The World Ends With You in the coming days before I jump. I've just been underwhelmed lately with the cost:enjoyment ratio of retail games as of late, but that one appears to be worth it.
Old 04-22-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does From the Abyss have a Diablo II sort of feel? It sounds like it: random dungeons, leveling up, skill tress, co-op

Add in some random loot and rare equipment sets to assemble and i will be hooked.
Old 04-22-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds like it and yeah, it sounds potentially dangerous.

• Create your own unique Abyss!
 Every time you start a brand new journey, the game will randomly generate a custom world that will give you a unique experience every time!

• Customize your character!
 Distribute your skill points that define your character’s powers and destiny. Will you go the way of the sword or be a powerful spell caster?

• Capture your enemy’s soul!
 Steal the enemy’s techniques and use them to turn the tide of the battle!

• Co-op Mode!
 Connect with a friend wirelessly and work together to defeat the Dark Lord of the Abyss!

Old 04-22-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, so I'm in Ravine of the Dead in Shiren the Wanderer. I've got God-like equipment and SEVERAL precautions, so I'm thinking: "I've got this." The monsters are pretty tough right off the bat (the same group of monsters from the final floors of Table Mountain on floor one here), but with my gear they pose no problems. A couple floors down I hop onto the stairs and "It's a trap! Armor Ward +55 has been cursed!" What the shit?! So I uncurse it, find the real stairs, move on. So on the next floor I enter a room with THREE staircases. Yeah, this is going to be fun.

On the plus side, it has some new music.
Old 04-22-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

..and I'm dead. Floor 13 or 14, so I should be able to get a rescue over WFC without issue. I hit a monster house, which wasn't a big problem since I ate some Air Devil meat and became invisible to all and killed everything. Normally I use an Herb of Sight in a full floor monster house but I didn't have one and I went for all the loot anyway (since this dungeon has been fairly devoid of it). I hit a Riceball trap, which I guess cancels out your attack and defense and I had a two move/two attack monster behind me.

Speaking of traps, if I HAVE to come back to this place, I need to bring my Trap Master Armband.
Old 04-22-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good God, it sounds like you should get college credit for playing that game.
Old 04-22-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man that Shiren the Wanderer sounds great Pixy, could you maybe give me a brief overview of the gameplay starting out? What do I need to know to get started? Are there any games that are more mainstream I may have played that compare?
Old 04-22-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope they make a Shiren-style game based around America's Top Model or The Office. Now THAT I'd buy.
Old 04-22-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Man that Shiren the Wanderer sounds great Pixy, could you maybe give me a brief overview of the gameplay starting out? What do I need to know to get started? Are there any games that are more mainstream I may have played that compare?
Well, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is the mainstream version. Diablo took a lot of elements from rougelikes as well but it doesn't fully compare as they kind of made an entirely different genre from its base. There are several free PC variants out there, just look for tile (aka graphics) versions of Linley's Dungeon Crawl or Nethack. It's a hard genre to get into but addicting as hell if you do.

Genereal info on the genre:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

Two example games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linley%27s_Dungeon_Crawl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetHack
Old 04-22-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I hope they make a Shiren-style game based around America's Top Model or The Office. Now THAT I'd buy.
You keep your dirty Bastardized American Office. I'll be getting the game based on the UK Original. Don't expect my Lord David of Brentmeister with his "+99 Cock-Piercing Dagger of Tears" to come rescue your Dwigt Bobd character...
Old 04-22-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could go for something more anime based, like maybe Lum or Ranma. Make the graphics a little brighter and bubblier like some of that style anime would be kind of neat because it could lead to more "fantasy" type boards and a little more variety.
Old 04-22-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
You keep your dirty Bastardized American Office. I'll be getting the game based on the UK Original. Don't expect my Lord David of Brentmeister with his "+99 Cock-Piercing Dagger of Tears" to come rescue your Dwigt Bobd character...
Well played, sir. Well played.
Old 04-22-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I could go for something more anime based, like maybe Lum or Ranma. Make the graphics a little brighter and bubblier like some of that style anime would be kind of neat because it could lead to more "fantasy" type boards and a little more variety.
Lum and Ranma are a bit mainstream though. Why not something a bit more eclectic like Baku Baku no Denshi or Kuru Furu DenDen Paradise? So many unique characters and settings to choose from if you go that route. Although you might have to tone down Pan-chan (the sexy panda girl from BBnD) for an American audience. Most DS owners here wouldn't understand or accept the love scenes between her and Jubei-sama, the randy grandfather character.
Old 04-22-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I'm thinking now that it's not Shiren that needs it's own thread, it's Pixy...

So Pixy, are you just going to post Shiren stuff here, or are you going to start a separate one? I've been taking it pretty slowly with Shiren, going back and forth from the first town to the third over and over...
Old 04-22-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
..and I'm dead. Floor 13 or 14, so I should be able to get a rescue over WFC without issue. I hit a monster house, which wasn't a big problem since I ate some Air Devil meat and became invisible to all and killed everything. Normally I use an Herb of Sight in a full floor monster house but I didn't have one and I went for all the loot anyway (since this dungeon has been fairly devoid of it). I hit a Riceball trap, which I guess cancels out your attack and defense and I had a two move/two attack monster behind me.

Speaking of traps, if I HAVE to come back to this place, I need to bring my Trap Master Armband.
This must have been what it sounded like to my parents when I talked about videogames as a youngster.
Old 04-22-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
This must have been what it sounded like to my parents when I talked about videogames as a youngster.

Great observation!
Old 04-23-08, 09:27 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question but other then gamefly where else can you rent ds games?
Old 04-23-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by josh4040
Sorry if this is a stupid question but other then gamefly where else can you rent ds games?
Check your local Blockbuster...they should be getting some in, if they haven't already
Old 04-24-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Amazon will have DS game deals on the 25th. Could be all crap. Could be all gold. I have no idea.
Old 04-25-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for $16.99 as the Gold Box deal - not bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.