Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Orphanage - signs of life in mood-based horror

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just back from watching The Orphanage.

I cannot urge you strongly enough to find the nearest place you can see this film with a sold-out crowd. It's beautifully told, beautifully shot and beautifully twisted. It takes every cliche you were ever sick of and shows off just how well the old cinema tricks can work.

Just how nifty is this poster? Look at it!

Damn, damn, damn good stuff. I can't wait to see it Saturday night at the local cinema, which has a large latino clientele - I want to see this with a packed house.
Old 01-11-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the preview for this, and will probably see it once it's released on DVD (I don't see movies in theaters anymore. Too annoying and expensive). Thanks for the reminder!
Old 01-11-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see on Fandango it expands to more theaters today. Will it get to more theaters afterwards? The closest big theater its playing in is in LA and dammit if I don't wanna drive there.
Old 01-11-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw it last week and really liked it. There were a few frustrating moments for me when I wanted to strangle the characters, but by the end of it, those moments made more sense and worked toward where the movie was heading (which was not where I thought it was heading...) Lots of 'Boo' jump style scares that I usually find lazy, but one of them here was REALLY effective and got my heart racing. Well worth seeking out.
Old 01-11-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
In theatres everywhere my ass.
Old 01-11-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw it in LA a few weeks ago. Great flick, though it is a bit derivative of similar films like The Devil's Backbone and The Others. Still, it was genuinely creepy and well acted. I want the DVD now!

Oh, and I NEED a copy of that poster. Gorgeous!
Old 01-11-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just noticed that it opens at the Hollywood 20 in Greenville, SC this weekend. I guess I know where I'll be going on Saturday after work!
Old 01-11-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I would like that poster....but I'm not sure I wan something that will scare the crap out of me on my walls all the time.
Old 01-12-08, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I saw it last week and really liked it. There were a few frustrating moments for me when I wanted to strangle the characters, but by the end of it, those moments made more sense and worked toward where the movie was heading (which was not where I thought it was heading...) Lots of 'Boo' jump style scares that I usually find lazy, but one of them here was REALLY effective and got my heart racing. Well worth seeking out.

Was it when
Spoiler:
The old lady was struck down on the street and her mouth was left open and she jerked her body as Laura's husband tried to revive her ? That part made my audience jump and react.
Old 01-12-08, 02:16 AM

The trailer gave me a nice feeling of freshness. Who knows...
Old 01-12-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Was it when
Spoiler:
The old lady was struck down on the street and her mouth was left open and she jerked her body as Laura's husband tried to revive her ? That part made my audience jump and react.
Yeah... every other jump scare didn't get me, but that one sure did!
Old 01-12-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Just got back from seeing it......LOVED IT! A terrific and classy scary film. Like "The Others". And this one had several jump out of your seat moments.
Old 01-12-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone watch this movie at South Beach?
Old 01-12-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it, and was very, very pleased! This is without a doubt my type of horror film these days. It's far more "The Others" than any of the usual mainstream trends of the genre. I'd say that this one is a mixture of both "The Others" as well as Pan's Labyrinth.

All of the positive things mentioned in this thread, they're all spot on. There's at least two scenes that got to me unlike any other horror film in many years, and they were so perfectly executed.

Go check it out guys, trust us.
Old 01-12-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
The trailer looked like the Devil's Backbone to me. Nonetheless, eagerly awaiting this one!
Old 01-12-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is my opinion of the movie:

It had an awesome ending, but I had to sit through about 90 minutes of shit to get to that point.

The premise is great, the execution sucks. With a more talented director, an even more talented writer, and a shorter run time (there was a lot of padding in the film's 100-minute runtime); this film could've been wonderful and magnificent. Instead it's just a crappy film with a great ending.

Just to throw this out there as well, the whole "exorcist" segment of the film where Laura hires the group of folk to come to the house played like a retarded retread of the whole second act of Poltergeist mixed with the worst segments of White Noise (which really isn't saying much as White Noise may have been one of the worst films I've seen all decade).

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 01-12-08 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-12-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

It had an awesome ending, but I had to sit through about 90 minutes of shit to get to that point.
Your "90 minutes of shit" is my 90 minutes of superbly paced tension building, leading to the wonderful climax.
Old 01-12-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brent L
Your "90 minutes of shit" is my 90 minutes of superbly paced tension building, leading to the wonderful climax.
I tend to disagree.

If the film had superbly paced tension, there wouldn't be that twenty minute segment that I made an example of in my post is smacked right in the middle where nothing of importance happens to be revealed (in terms of not only of plot, but in character development as well).

Yes, I will now be a hypocrite and say the final moments of that sequence reveals
Spoiler:
the fact the children all died in their bedroom as they were poisoned
, but there are better ways to "reveal" that to the audience than the way the film does it. It's a very cliched segment as it's been done before and of course, been done better.

It's one of the biggest gripes I had with the film in terms of it's running time and use of padding out scenes longer than they needed to be. Looking back, it would've made a great short film under 60 minutes. When extended past that, there's nothing of real significance that actually works.

Also, I want to add that I personally hate any film that has to use flashbacks to explain earlier portions of the film in the climax. I tend to like my films that don't play dumb to the audience.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 01-12-08 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a definite winner - it was one of 27 movies included in this past fall's New York Film Festival where it had a very positive reception.
Old 01-13-08, 08:51 AM

Saw this yesterday with my wife and we both loved it. I'm not sure how many of you have children, but I think that makes a difference in how the movie affects you.

Nevertheless, my acid-test for a great film is if it 1) provokes discussion after viewing it and 2) stays with me for a few days after viewing it.

So far, it's done both, but I just saw it yesterday. I definitely recommend it, and DAMN I WANT THAT POSTER!!!!
Old 01-13-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Didnt enjoy it at all. It just felt to "been there done that." Brought nothing new to the table, nothing special in the acting department, and the ending insulted my intelligence. I dont need to be beat over the head with what happend, there was no need for that last scene.
Old 01-13-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

I don't know how you can enjoy an ending if you don't get atleast some enjoyment out of everything before. That's like saying you liked the punchline to a joke but not the joke itself. They're nothing with out each other.
Old 01-14-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ It's possible IMO. With this flick, I was having a hard time because
Spoiler:
I wrongly assumed this was a sort of 'Labyrinth' situation where Laura just had to follow the clues to find the kid...and she doesn't figure out that she needs to follow the clues for NINE MONTHS.

I was really getting frustrated with the movie, thinking 'just start following the clues already!' She knew something weird was afoot, so it didn't seem like a huge leap to me... I was thinking that eventually she'd do that, find the kid and have a happy ending...so even when she found him the first time and we're lead to believe he's still alive, I was kind of hating the movie...it took so long to get to that point.... but then, when it's revealed that he is long DEAD, I thought it sort of redeemed itself and was more enjoyable because the clue search would have been futile anyhow.

Another example is kind of like Saw III - I hated that movie until the ending because I felt it was out of character for the series, turns out that was the point.
Old 01-14-08, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I know you see a smidgen of the scene in the trailer: but did anyone wince at the

Spoiler:
old lady getting hit by the bus - the hand shooting up after that scene had the entire auditorium just go spastic, the lady next to me was so perturbed by it she promptly left never to return.
Old 01-14-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While the film felt reminiscent of some other films, I ended up really liking it a lot. One sequence near the end of the film is one of the most suspenseful, hold-your-breath scenes I've seen in ages. It also wraps up beautifully and poignantly.

The mood, theme and outcome of the film reminded me a lot of the novel
Spoiler:
The Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.