Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Christian Rock : The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having trouble comprehending this genre anymore. Lifehouse used to be considered a Christian band once, but not anymore (though so many of their songs are laced with all sorts of religious imagery, still!) and Creed was obviously a Christian rock band.

I think the genre has given us some quality stuff, for what its worth.

For example, the first Jars of Clay album is undeniably good, whether you're Christian or not.

Can someone list some good Christian rock acts to get into, albums to get, and whom to totally avoid?
Old 11-27-07, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flyleaf
<embed width="425" height="355"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdDJ6wp-MSQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>
lead singer said that the song is directly about the lord. I really like this album (and i am far far far from religious)
Norma Jean
<embed width="425" height="355"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UMXbpF4miUU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>
If you can get into screamo christian metal.
Old 11-27-07, 04:43 AM

Is Christian Metal a whole other genre or would that classify as a subsect of Christian Rock (albeit more 'loud' rock). Also, something that sounds like Sepultera or Panthera isn't exactly something I'd wanna check out....
Old 11-27-07, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
Is Christian Metal a whole other genre or would that classify as a subsect of Christian Rock (albeit more 'loud' rock). Also, something that sounds like Sepultera or Panthera isn't exactly something I'd wanna check out....
Its technically one of the other many subgenere's of metal music. Other bands include Senses Fail and The Devil Wears Prada.
Old 11-27-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trouble is about the only one that I can recommend.
Old 11-27-07, 09:56 AM

Neal Morse is progressive rock dealing with religion. It is some of my favorite music even though I am not a religious person. Testimony is my favorite album of all time.
Old 11-27-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Day of Fire. I saw them open for Daughtry, and they were very good. I didn't even realize they were CR at first, until I started really listening to the lyrics. But they really rock.
Old 11-27-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Almost anything on Tooth and Nail records. Anberlin is a really good band. Can't say I'm a big fan of the Christian Rock though.
Old 11-27-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I really despise the whole "Christian music" thing... it shouldn't be a seperate genre imo. I find just as much, if not more religous themes and symbolism in the "secular" artists I listen to. That said artists (who happen to be Christian) that I enjoy are Demon Hunter, Project 86, some Blindside and P.O.D....and the rest seem to have broken up...Stavesacre, Living Sacrifice, Julianna Theory.

More alternative styles - Pedro the Lion, Derek Webb, Starflyer 59.
Old 11-27-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
When it comes to the Christian "genre", mostly I listen to hip-hop (Pigeon John is great). Admittedly, I'm not too up on the current Christian rock scene.

I do like Thrice singer Dustin Kensrue's EP Please Come Home, but it is more of an acoustic singer/songwriter type of thing.

I'm also digging the new project by former Sixpence None the Richer singer Leigh Nash and electronic act Delerium - Fauxliage. (Her solo album is pretty good, too)

I didn't get into it until about a year ago (and I don't listen to the radio, so wasn't burned out by it), but I like Evanescence's Fallen. Haven't listened to their recent follow-up, though.

Derek Webb's Mockingbird is great. He got some heat from it because it is a bit critical of "the church" (but we need that from time to time). Haven't heard his most recent album, either.

Oh, and that Sufjan Stevens fella.

If you want to read up on the subject, I recommend a book that I read earlier this year:

Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock by Andrew Beaujon

He's a writer for Spin and an agnostic, so it's an outsider's look in. The book's super cheap at Amazon Marketplace (where I got my copy).

Last edited by DJLinus; 11-27-07 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-27-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
DJ, Evanescence has stated many times they are NOT a Christian band. It's one of the primary reasons Ben Moody left the band.
Old 11-27-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Admittedly, I don't know too much about their background. I didn't think they were a self-professed "Christian rock band", but more of a "band with Christians in it" (like U2). Didn't they at one time somehow diss the Christian part of their fanbase and have their album pulled from Christian book stores? Seems like I heard about that somewhere.

Just wonder how they got the label in the first place.
Old 11-27-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

glad someone mentioned Anberlin.

What about Switchfoot, I think they're a christian band.
Old 11-27-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
I didn't think they were a self-professed "Christian rock band", but more of a "band with Christians in it" (like U2). Didn't they at one time somehow diss the Christian part of their fanbase and have their album pulled from Christian book stores?

Sounds a bit like King's X story. People were saying they were a Christian band but it was more of an individual band member thing. From Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_X#Christian_rock.3F

Originally Posted by Wiki
Christian rock?

Whether the band's name was intended as a Christian reference or not, the band members themselves have resisted being identified as a Christian metal or Christian rock band.[4][1] Although many of their early lyrics have a clear spiritual influence, generally this came from the individual faith of the members rather than an explicit attempt to tap into the contemporary Christian music market in the way groups such as Petra did.[1] While members would speak openly about their faith, and the Faith Hope Love CD insert contained an entire chapter of the Bible, the band rejected the association as a Christian band.[1] While some of their albums were marketed through Christian book stores, most removed their albums from sale after Pinnick's announcement in 1998 of his homosexuality.[5] This caused the band to lose some Christian fans, but did not significantly affect the band's core following.[6]

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-27-07 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I second Pedro the Lion...though he now releases albums using his real name, David Bazan. He's great at blending really dark imagery with cynically tongue-in-cheek lyrics.
Old 11-28-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll third Pedro the Lion, with Control and It's Hard to Find a Friend being my favorite albums of his.
Old 11-28-07, 09:25 AM

another for Pedro the Lion...also Red Animal War
Old 11-28-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
mewithoutYou. (Tooth and Nails) And there were some interviews with Amy Lee (not sure if that is her name) when Origin was released where she basically said that it was the bands goal to show the love of God or something like that. I think that is where the Christian Band label began with Ev.
Old 12-02-07, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

has the first evanesance album ever been officially released? i remeber reading that it had demos of songs from fallen (including a more synth heavy version of Bring Me To Life, and it doesn't have the dude from 12 stone on vocals.
Old 12-02-07, 08:49 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
I really despise the whole "Christian music" thing... it shouldn't be a seperate genre imo. I find just as much, if not more religous themes and symbolism in the "secular" artists I listen to...
Well said . . .
Old 12-02-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
has the first evanesance album ever been officially released? i remeber reading that it had demos of songs from fallen (including a more synth heavy version of Bring Me To Life, and it doesn't have the dude from 12 stone on vocals.

No such "album" ever existed. Probably a bootleg full of demos.
Old 12-03-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I enjoy As I Lay Dying who is Christian metal core... of course, I'm not a big fan of theirs lyrically, but hell I can barely decipher any of them as it is.
Old 12-03-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by DaveWadding
No such "album" ever existed. Probably a bootleg full of demos.
Incorrect. I purchased it from Bigwig Records for $15 (have since sold on ebay for $190ish dollars) when I was in college. They pressed 2500 copies.
Old 12-03-07, 12:53 PM

I'm just getting into the whole Christian rock thing... So far I'm into Skillet, my friend let me borrow a couple of Storyside: B disks and I'm really liking them as well. I was in a C28 store this weekend and listened to an Adie CD which I may pull off of iTunes... though they don't list her as Christian. I also have a Moi album (for the more emo people) mainly because they played at our old church from time-to-time, but I do enjoy it when that mood hits. I also got "In the Name of Love: Artists United for Africa" which is christian bands covering U2 songs.
Old 12-03-07, 03:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Incorrect. I purchased it from Bigwig Records for $15 (have since sold on ebay for $190ish dollars) when I was in college. They pressed 2500 copies.

I know THAT existed. but there was never an album before their first one with Bring Me to Life on it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.