Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MR. UNTOUCHABLE (Directed by Marc Levin)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Caught a preview screening last night of Mr. Untouchable, the new documentary from Slam director Marc Levin. It's about Nicky Barnes, the drug kingpin who introduced heroin to Harlem in the '70s (he's the subject of the song Jim Croce song "Bad Bad Leroy Brown").

The movie provides a great overall view of Harlem during that era, showing what drove the city into addiction and made Barnes so successful. I liked how the movie showed that Barnes' pride was the main cause of his downfall (the movie's title is derived from a New York Times article on Barnes, an event that is basically the turning point of his career). The movie provides interviews with Barnes' associates, friends and family members as well as the cops and DEA agents that took him down. The highlight of the movie is the involvement of Barnes himself (who according to the film is still in Witness Protection due to a $1 million contract on his head). If you ask me, he's still an arrogant son of a bitch. I'd give the movie a B+.

IMDB shows that its only in limited release right now, but if its playing in your area its definitely worth checking out especially as a preface to American Gangster. Mr. Untouchable has some footage and discussion of the real Frank Lucas (the character Denzel plays). Seeing this documentary made me even more excited for American Gangster next weekend to see what Ridley Scott does with the material.

The Mr. Untouchable trailer

The list of theaters where Mr. Untouchable is playing

Nicky Barnes' book that came out earlier this year

Last edited by Ghostface180; 10-25-07 at 04:44 PM.