Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Thai DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thai DVDs

I'm new to buying Import DVDs, and upon browsing sites such as YesAsia and HKFlix, i've noticed that a lot of movies that are released in Japan and other countries have Japanese editions (obviously, but are also a lot higher priced, as expected) and HK editions, but also have Thai versions as well (such as this version of Always: Sunset on Third Street). I've noticed that these Thai versions are a lot less expensive, and generally have the same cover art and specs as their Japanese or HK counterparts, but i'm wary about buying them. Are these cheaper Thai editions worth buying compared to the HK and Japanese editions? Do they generally have lower subtitle and audio/video quality? Any help/suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-08-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Same video quality but cheaper generally means the Thai distributor is cutting some costs.

Check the specs carefully.

United Home Entertainment only releases Thai language friendly discs only.Meaning the video quality and audio quality are great but no English language or English subtitles.

Mangpong Limited is good at including English subtitles with good video quality. However, the English subtitles are for the whole film even the English language portions.

I have Casshern and Azumi which are in the original Japanese with English subtitles. The video and audio quality are great but the extras are Thai friendly only.

I also have 3 Iron and Initial D from Thailand. They are great DVDs but no English subtitles. I have to watch it in Thai.
Old 07-08-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have ordered many non-Thai movies ( for example, The White Massai and Always:Sunset) from ethaicd.com. And the video quality and english subtitles are excellent on all of the non-thai dvds i've ordered. I've noticed that English subtitles on Thai DVDs are definitely better than ones on HK or Korean dvds. And most of the time the DVDs are anamorphic if the online store says nothing or just "widescreen."
Old 07-08-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've gotten a few French films from ethaicd, all with English subtitles that were not present on their R2 counterparts. I seem to recall that you have to be careful to check the description for each DVD to make sure they are English-friendly.
Old 07-08-07, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by emachine12
United Home Entertainment only releases Thai language friendly discs only.Meaning the video quality and audio quality are great but no English language or English subtitles.
UHE Shaw Brothers collection has English subtitles. Their BABY CART dvds also have English subtitles (I wanted to get the box-set but it seems to be OOP now).

A distributor called Rose censors out everything related to smoking (either digitally or text warnings).

I wanted to get a nice looking digipack version of Breaking News but it seems to be repackaged by another distrib now.I opted for LOST IN TIME (Derek Yee),will see how it compares to the HK version...