Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Rock's Game Plan.....wow

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.totaleclips.com/Player/Bo...7&vendorid=600

This looks really bad. Like Curly Sue crossed with The Pacifier. What the hell happened to The Rock? He's lost a lot of weight and now doing generic family movies with kids and dogs. I love the voiceover in the trailer, "But he never had to tackle......a challenge this big". Har har har.

Last edited by Shilex; 06-02-07 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-02-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing I like about The Rock is that he'll give it his all in any film he is in and is usually the best part about that film.

The thing I don't like about The Rock is that all of his films suck ass (with the exception, of course, being The Rundown).
Old 06-02-07, 03:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It might have a cute (albeit formulaic) family film, but this looks pretty bad even on that level. If they'd played it for heart instead of playing it for dumb "little girl wrecks adult's home/possessions/etc. with her girliness" jokes, I could have at least seen the appeal.
Old 06-02-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It looks ok, agree with Matthew Chmiel, i like The Rock in his films, full of charisma, even if the movies suck.
Old 06-02-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He has charisma, but all the charisma in the world couldn't get me to see this film. It looks so bad... Last night when I saw Knocked Up and they showed this preview, you could hear people groaning once it went silent after the trailer ended.

Also, I must say, some of The Rocks reactions and acting in the trailer are really over the top and cheesy, and not in a fun way, it was just irritating.
Old 06-02-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I smell what the Rock is cooking ... and it smells like a turd
Old 06-02-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Shilex
http://www.totaleclips.com/Player/Bo...7&vendorid=600

This looks really bad. Like Curly Sue crossed with The Pacifier. What the hell happened to The Rock? He's lost a lot of weight and now doing generic family movies with kids and dogs. I love the voiceover in the trailer, "But he never had to tackle......a challenge this big". Har har har.

Looks funny to me...
Old 06-02-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The Rock understands what took place. The night you rented Gridiron Gang, you got down on your knees, put your little hands together, and you said a prayer and sounded like this: ‘Oh dear God, you see my name is Shilex, and I just rented Gridiron Gang, but there’s one problem: Everybody still thinks that these mainstream movies absolutely suck!’ And then at that point Shilex, your house started to shake, the heavens opened up, and God himself spoke to you and said this, ‘Schmoe?’ ‘But my name is Shilex…’ ‘It doesn’t matter what your name is!’ ‘You are absolutely right. These mainstream movies do suck, but there is one thing and one thing only you are forgetting. You must remember that the people who go see the most electrifying actor in generic football movies…The Rock are there for simple entertainment and there's a type of demographic that goes sees them.’ ‘Oh my God…anybody but The Rocks main demographics… They're just a bunch of joe six packs...’ ‘Know your role and shut your mouth!’ And then Shilex as fear went through your body, tears went down your cheek, your house started to shake again, the clouds parted, and the heavens opened, and what seemed like millions (and millions) of voices all said to you in unison: ‘jobronie, if you smell…what The Rock…is cooking in terms of box office revenue!’”
Old 06-03-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The thing about the Rock is that he is not trying to be a real actor. Which I can appreciate. He is well aware of what type of roles he can fit into, whether they are crap or not. Plus, he's banking huge from these bombs. C'mon, I woulda starred in Gridiron Gang for ten million bones too.
Old 06-03-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I cringed throughout the whole trailer...just fucking terrible.
Old 06-03-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
I actually thought it didn't look like a bad family movie.

I wouldn't watch it, but if I had kids and wanted something that would appeal to both kids and myself, I'd probably see it.
Old 06-03-07, 05:56 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I guess there's just some actors, where no matter how bad the actual movie is, you'll still watch it, just because they're in it.

I'm not saying I'll be first in line for this, but I'm sure it'll eventually make it's way onto my Netflix list, just the same way 'The Pacifier' did.

Sometimes you just gotta have those kind of movies to watch...just for the hell of it
Old 06-03-07, 06:21 PM

What the hell happened to The Rock? He's lost a lot of weight and now doing generic family movies with kids and dogs.
Yeah, it's really disappointing when professional wrestlers are involved in such lowbrow entertainment, isn't it?
Old 06-03-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The thing about The Rock was that he had the potential to steer his career towards being a bigger movie star by taking the path that Ahnuld did. Instead he chooses mediocre projects that don't do him justice (except The Rundown). He's a fun guy to watch in movies, he just needs better movies.
Old 06-03-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The thing about The Rock was that he had the potential to steer his career towards being a bigger movie star by taking the path that Ahnuld did. Instead he chooses mediocre projects that don't do him justice (except The Rundown). He's a fun guy to watch in movies, he just needs better movies.
actually, i think Walking Tall was pretty good
Old 06-03-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

The problem is that the time for those silly action films is over. Look at the reaction that folks had here to John Rambo. They laughed their heads off at it. What you're saying is The Rock should do more roles like that.

Right in his last few movies he's been doing exactly the roles that seem serious enough but are marketable to the most folks.

Gridiron gang is the more serious of football roles he's been in and now the game plan is the easy family film. His career seems in path and one thing you mentioned in your first post that he looks smaller than he used to. Looking at the trailer, by no means does he look weaker or like he gained some unneeded out of shape weight. The man looks ripped.
Old 06-04-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 196 Posts
A "good/serviceable" R rated action flick is warranted after this one, I will admit.
Old 06-04-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

one word: oof.
Old 06-04-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like a good film for families and that's cool that there are those options out there.

I'll pass on this, but it's cool for those who dig this kind of movie.
Old 06-04-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The problem is that the time for those silly action films is over. Look at the reaction that folks had here to John Rambo. They laughed their heads off at it. What you're saying is The Rock should do more roles like that.

Gridiron gang is the more serious of football roles he's been in and now the game plan is the easy family film. His career seems in path and one thing you mentioned in your first post that he looks smaller than he used to. Looking at the trailer, by no means does he look weaker or like he gained some unneeded out of shape weight. The man looks ripped.

The Rock comes from the world of wrestling. An all together cheesy "sport". I think most people want to see him in an action film (silly or not). Are you saying that there is no longer a place for movies like Total Recall, The Terminator, or Predator? Arnold aligned himself with some good directors back in the day. If the action movie is done well and with a good director, then who says that the time for it is gone. John Rambo is getting flak because it looks cheesy and silly and Stallone is over-the-hill (and still taking everything wayyyy too seriously in the film).

I agree that the Rock is still ripped, but I kinda think he looks strange in the face. I guess I'm just used to it being somewhat soft instead of looking more "leathery".

Last edited by Shilex; 06-04-07 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 698 Likes on 431 Posts
The thing is, THE PACIFIER (which, let's face it, this movie is patterning itself after... at least, thematically) made over $100mill, during a time in which Vin Diesel's career was stalling (he hadn't had a hit since xXx).

Family comedies which juxtapose big-name action types and precociously obnoxious kids make bank.

The Rock's career hasn't exactly been stellar, box-office wise. He had a small hit with THE SCORPION KING and that was basically it. I just want to see him do SHAZAM already, it'd be the perfect vehicle for him (superheroes + family comedy + fantasy).
Old 06-04-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
[QUOTE=Jackskeleton]The problem is that the time for those silly action films is over. Look at the reaction that folks had here to John Rambo. They laughed their heads off at it. What you're saying is The Rock should do more roles like that.
QUOTE]

If i remember correctly when the Rambo trailer was posted in that thread people were saying how good it looked.
Old 06-05-07, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Rock comes from the world of wrestling. An all together cheesy "sport". I think most people want to see him in an action film (silly or not). Are you saying that there is no longer a place for movies like Total Recall, The Terminator, or Predator?
See the box office revenue for The Marine and most recently Stone Cold's The Condemned. Hell, even Kane's film didn't do all that well.

I would say that the place for films like Total Recall and the Predator (while I love it) aren't enough for the mainstream.

If i remember correctly when the Rambo trailer was posted in that thread people were saying how good it looked.
Yeah, and before Snakes on a plane was released it had a huge hype behind it. Don't let the internet tell you what works or doesn't.

Many people's complaints were about it looking too silly. Not sure how an over the top 80's type of action film will do these days.

Millheiser has it completely right on this. He's mixing the both formats just right. So that he maintains the cred from those looking for more hardcore while also remaining a family name.
Old 06-05-07, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like The Rock and even through none of his movies with the exeption of the Rundown were that great at least they wern't terrible WWE made movies like John Cena's 'Marine' or the worst horror movie ever made next to the texas chainsaw massacre: next generation, Kane's 'See no evil', at least they named the movie rite.
Back in my WWF watchin' days I used to love The Rock & Stone Cold going at it, the "Attitude era".
Old 06-05-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Okay, at the risk of being flamed, I actually had somewhat of an urge to see this movie after I saw the preview. True, a lot of Rock's movies suck, but he makes them watchable. In fact, if it weren't for him, Be Cool would have been one of the worst movies I had ever seen.
Judging from the trailer, the guy has good comic timing, and obviously doesn't take himself too seriously. I say just enjoy this stuff like you would a wrestling match.

On a sidenote. Jack: what makes you think the market for movies like Total Recall and Predator no longer exists? Those were very fine movies in their day, and they were hits, so obviously people go see these kinds of flicks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.