Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

KORN: self-titled -7/31/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Korn Goes Experimental, Vents Anger On New Album

Veteran rock act Korn has set a July 31 release date for its new self-titled Virgin album. The 12-track set will be Korn's first without longtime drummer David Silveria, who is on hiatus from the band, and its second without founding guitarist Brian "Head" Welch, who left in 2005 for religious reasons. "Korn" sees Korn crafting perhaps its most musically serious work since 2002's "Untouchables."

The set opens with the seemingly straightforward rocker "Starting Over," but more than halfway through, the guitars drop and give way to a dreamy, psychedelic bridge, only to have the verses resurrected by gospel-inspired keys. Indeed, unofficial band member and keyboardist Zac Baird spent more time recording with Korn than ever, and it shows, as he gives the almost ballad-like "Kiss" some "Strawberry Fields"-inspired tones.

Elsewhere, cuts such as "Do What They Say" and "Trained Response" sport almost dance-y, industrial grooves, while the guitars on the adventurous "Ever Be" take on almost orchestral proportions.

According to frontman Jonathan Davis, "Ever Be" and "Love & Luxury" both address Welch's departure. The former Korn member will preempt the release of Korn's album with a tell-all book, "Save Me From Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs and Lived to Tell My Story," on July 7.

"I had to vent," Davis tells Billboard.com. "It really irritated me that he's putting out this book and profiting off of talking sh*t about us -- the guys who gave him everything in his life and put him where he's at. If you don't want to be in the band, fine, but don't go out bad mouthing us."

Not all of the album takes on such targeted anger. First single "Evolution," for example, finds Korn adopting a peace-loving persona -- almost. "It's about how us as human beings haven't evolved in the thousands of years we've been around," Davis says. "We're no different than monkeys. We're territorial and we fight, and we're destroying our planet. Why haven't we evolved? True human beings wouldn't be destroying each other and blowing [stuff] up. They'd be compassionate and they'd love one another and there'd be no violence."

The new album is the follow-up to 2005's "See You On the Other Side," which has sold 1.2 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"We always wanted the atmospheres, and to really go deep," guitarist James "Munky' Shaffer says. "It wasn't until this record that we really felt comfortable to do that. As records progress, the urge to do that becomes greater. We feel like we've finally solidified ourselves in the rock world, and wanted to take this one a little deeper into that direction. It's less pop, and it's more experimental."

"Korn" is also the final album Korn owes to Virgin, who it signed with in 2005 for $23 million upfront, according to Davis. In what amounted to a revenue-sharing deal, EMI acquired a 30% stake in Korn's overall business through 2010. "We're going to go out and tour this thing and we're hoping Virgin is going to want to do another deal with us," Davis says. "We have a good working relationship."

For more about the album and Korn's unique label deal, see this week's issue of Billboard, on newsstands today (June 1).

BILLBOARD.com
Old 06-01-07, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno..I think I just can't stand Davis's voice anymore..ever since he tried to start singing he's developed that awful whine more and more. the more industrial and layered they get, the more uninteresting I find them. I would like for them to just go back to basics..aka debut album. I have my doubts about Virgin making another long term deal with them.
Old 06-02-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I used to love Korn, now I loathe them. Their whole shtick got old quickly. Once Davis had to find something else other than rape and abuse to write about they really lost it. They never break good new ground on recent records. Everything sounds derivative compared to older releases. And Davis voice does get annoying after a while since it's always the same two tones he uses.

Also, the debut album was s/t, so wtf?
Old 06-03-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I agree with both of the replies above. Davis' voice is annoying as hell, and the rest of the band was never really anything to write home about. Their show last year was horrible, and it wasn't because of Davis' illness.
Old 06-03-07, 02:20 AM

Funny i have been listening to korn since 2004 and the music sounds the same too me, just has hardcore and exicting as ever. So i cant wait for this album, should be good.

Old 06-04-07, 03:49 AM

Those first two albums are classics, 3rd was above average, 4th was lame, 5th was a good new direction for them, rest have been dogshit.
Old 06-04-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I think that "Ya'll Want A Single" was really the turning point for me. They just don't seem to be breaking any type of new ground. I'd much rather they spend 3 years in the studio in try to re-invent there sound than release mediocre crap every other year.
Old 06-04-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So... Korn is going to have 2 "self titled" albums? I still like Korn but they are getting old, their unplugged album was a complete turd.
Old 06-07-07, 01:01 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I can't wait for the release of this album. koRn is my favourite band and I'm not getting sick of them, nor do I think that Jonathon Davis can't sing anymore. To each, their own, I guess.
Old 06-07-07, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I think that "Ya'll Want A Single" was really the turning point for me. They just don't seem to be breaking any type of new ground. I'd much rather they spend 3 years in the studio in try to re-invent there sound than release mediocre crap every other year.
They kind of did that with Untouchables. Paid a shitload to record, hyped it up, delayed the release multiple times, and the label branded it a "flop" for only selling 1 million copies. Sadly enough, it was a good album (their best IMO since self-titled) but dropping from 5 million sold with Issues to 1 million with Untouchables gave Epic Records a heart attack. They rushed into the studio again, released that piece of crap "Take A Look..." and pretty much ended their run of MTV Rock glory. Today's Korn is just a touring franchise with a label that puts effort into milking the old fanbase since they get a cut from touring revenue.
Old 06-08-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I used to like Korn, but got sick of 'em. Yeah yeah, keeping on whining about your childhood, life's so hard, boo freakity hoo...how are you guys gonna go on with your millions of dollars?? Cry me a freakin' river.

Also, I found it quite interesting that when one of the members "found God," he felt the need to leave the band.
Old 06-13-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The upcoming Korn album is going to get a major push with all kinds of versions in the market that include standard CD (PA/Amended), and a 2-disc CD/DVD Deluxe package (PA/Amended).

MUSICTAP.net
Old 07-19-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Korn Kicking Around Possible Covers Album

Covers may be in Korn's future. The hard rockers, who release a new, untitled album July 31 via Virgin, told reporters yesterday (July 18) they've actually started work on what will likely turn into a full set of cover songs in the future.

"We've already done, like, 'Love My Way' from Psychedelic Furs," said Korn frontman Jonathan Davis. "We've done 'We Care a Lot' from Faith No More [and Nine Inch Nails'] 'Head Like a Hole.' Those are already recorded. We just gotta get in and do some more."

Davis said that he, guitarist James "Munky" Shaffer and bassist Reggie "Fieldy" Avizu "keep writing down covers" they'd like to record. Davis' current wish list includes Prince's "Erotic City," Ozzy Osbourne's "Diary of a Madman" and Debbie Deb's "Lookout Weekend" as done by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam. The group previously covered Radiohead's "Creep" for its "MTV Unplugged" album that came out in March.

Korn has no specific timetable for recording the covers album, however...

BILLBOARD.com
Old 07-20-07, 07:36 AM
CTH

IMO the first two albums were classics, after that everything was average at best. In every interview I see or read they now come across as arrogant, self important jackasses which makes it hard for me take them seriously anymore.
Old 07-20-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Davis said that he, guitarist James "Munky" Shaffer and bassist Reggie "Fieldy" Avizu "keep writing down covers" they'd like to record. Davis' current wish list includes Prince's "Erotic City," Ozzy Osbourne's "Diary of a Madman" and Debbie Deb's "Lookout Weekend" as done by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam. The group previously covered Radiohead's "Creep" for its "MTV Unplugged" album that came out in March.
Please God NO!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the many people here who feel that the first couple albums where pretty good but everything since then has sucked ass. I wish they'd just hang it up. Instead they're now going to butcher some fantastic songs so that the youth of america believe that Diary of a Madman is a Korn song.

Last edited by kakihara1; 07-20-07 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 05:17 PM

Korn sounded OK as their own sound when they first started, but holy cow... that Unplugged crap they pulled was terrible, ESPECIALLY the Radiohead cover.
Old 07-23-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My friend downloaded a leaked copy of this the other day. He said it was such shit that he couldn't make it past song #4. I commended him for making it that far. Another turd. Big surprise.
Old 07-24-07, 09:41 PM

i stopped listening to korn after follow the leader, they use to be really amazing but have really gone downhill. same goes for metallica.
Old 07-30-07, 10:24 AM

For those that are interested, Korn is playing a free show tomorrow 7/31 at 6pm in NYC at downtown, South Street Seaport, sponsored by J&R
If you buy a copy of the album, you get a wristband to have it signed by the band.

here's the link
Link
Old 07-30-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
At first listen I really like the album, not bad at all.
Old 07-30-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm kinda over KoRn now, but will always give them a chance. Ddin't pick up the last album though. My tastes have changed. I'm more into death metal.
Old 07-31-07, 09:51 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I downloaded it a week ago and I love it. It's actually one of their better albums, as far as I'm concerned. And, once I can bring myself to go get ready, I'm gonna' go pick it up.

I also saw 'em at Family Values last week and they sounded great.
Old 08-02-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the free T-shirt that comes with the deluxe version, also comes with a $10 shipping and handling fee. A bit too steep, if you ask me.