Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Music DUEL GOLDSMITH vs HORNER

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: GOLDSMITH OR HORNER
GOLDSMITH
94.44%
HORNER
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 06:33 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's Better?

-I'll post my opinion a little later after we've had some votes.
Old 03-16-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Oooooh, that's a hard one.

A real hard one.

We can thank Jerry Goldsmith for giving us the Star Trek Motion Picture theme heard on Parts I, V, and the Next Generation TV show and movies, BUT:

I've got a soft spot for James Horner's beautiful theme in Wrath of Khan. The music where they show Spock's coffin settling down on Genesis was beautifully composed.

However, Horner loses points for re-using his own themes in different movies (like Star Trek and Aliens).
Old 03-16-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Goldsmith's fanfare that he established for ST: TMP is the definitive version of the theme, IMO. One of the best sci-fi scores ever written, up there with Herrmann's The Day the Earth Stood Still.

When Horner was starting out in the early '80s, yeah, he was pretty good. There were several great action moments in TWOK and that terrific arrangement of "Amazing Grace" that's not on the soundtrack album. I felt his main theme mimicked Goldsmith's rendition -- not so much the melody as much as the way it was orchestrally structured. As for ST III, it was Horner on auto-pilot, with a bit too much Prokofiev throughout.
Old 03-16-07, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eplicon
Goldsmith's fanfare that he established for ST: TMP is the definitive version of the theme, IMO. One of the best sci-fi scores ever written, up there with Herrmann's The Day the Earth Stood Still.

When Horner was starting out in the early '80s, yeah, he was pretty good. There were several great action moments in TWOK and that terrific arrangement of "Amazing Grace" that's not on the soundtrack album. I felt his main theme mimicked Goldsmith's rendition -- not so much the melody as much as the way it was orchestrally structured. As for ST III, it was Horner on auto-pilot, with a bit too much Prokofiev throughout.

Hey, Eplicon! wink, wink, nudge, nudge...
Old 03-16-07, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eplicon

The score for Star Trek III is pretty much a copy of Star Trek II overall, isn't it?
Old 03-16-07, 10:25 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
III is similar to II in many ways the only differences are he replaced the Khan bad guy music with a somewhat inferior Klingon theme.

I vote for Horner though. Goldsmith was epic in TMP, the rest of his Trek movie themes, V and VIII where weak. Horner's Trek II has always been my favorite soundtrack. The main theme, is just great, and the battle in the mutara nebula has all the right beats. The spock death music is great too.