Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins: Zeitgeist - 7/7/07

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tracklisting:

1. Doomsday Clock
2. 7 Shades of Black
3. Orchid
4. That's the Way
5. Tarantula
6. Starz
7. United States
8. Never Lost
9. Bring the Light
10. Come On (Let's Go)
11.For God and Country
12. Pomp and Circumstance

from pitchforkmedia:

Smashing Pumpkins Reveal Album Title, Release Date

Smashing Pumpkins announced via MySpace bulletin this morning that they will release a new album, Zeitgeist, on July 7 of this year. 07-07-07! How'd they land that lucky date? Well kids, it's a Saturday, proving that Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin, and whoever the hell else is in the band think they are above and beyond the ways of the music industry (most albums come out on Tuesdays, see). Thanks to various reader tips for keeping us posted on this info.

Let's continue the discussion from this thread:

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Smashing Pumpkins MySpace Page

Last edited by auto; 05-16-07 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-07-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Fucking awesome! Cannot wait.
Old 02-07-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
. . .and still there's been no word about the new lineup, other than that Billy and Jimmy are in it.

At any rate, though, this is good to hear.
Old 02-07-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm basically looking at this as Zwan's follow-up album. I loved the first so I'm looking forward to this, regardless of what they call it.
Old 02-07-07, 02:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
I'm basically looking at this as Zwan's follow-up album. I loved the first so I'm looking forward to this, regardless of what they call it.
I liked the Zwan album as well, but live.. ugh, what a mess.
Old 02-07-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I liked the Zwan album as well, but live.. ugh, what a mess.
You mean you didn't like the uber boring 25 minute version of "Jesus I / God's Gonna Set This World On Fire (On Of These Days) / Mary Star Of The Sea" ?
Old 02-07-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zwan sounds like what Smashing Pumpkins might've been had they not infused more of an electronic feel in their later albums.

I liked them too, but I'd really like to see Iha back in the band, at the very least.
Old 02-07-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I want Siamese Dream II.

I love the smashing pumpkins.

Love them.
Old 02-07-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hre's hopin b0lly maks good jamz!
Old 02-07-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope the over-production and those silly ass filters or whatever he used on the last album are tossed out.

And I hope Billy takes his whine down a few notches back to the more tolerable Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie years.

"Everlasting Gaze" is the most cringe-worthy SP song I have ever heard.
Old 02-08-07, 08:18 AM

I read that Darcy and James are not going to be in this lineup, if that's the case don't see how its' really the Smashing Pumpkins, but I'll be happy to support them, being a Billy fan.

Call me lame but I would be happy to just see the pumpkins greatest hits and a few of Zwan's highlights played in concert again.

I'm curious of what size venues these guys can sell out now. I hope they play like 1-2k capacity places, I can't imagine they can sell out a big venue anymore do you guys?
Old 02-08-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Can anyone post the bulletin here? Work blocks myspace.com
Old 02-08-07, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Can anyone post the bulletin here? Work blocks myspace.com
It's nothing too exciting, I'm afraid:

[07 Feb 2007 | Wednesday]

7:07 AM - From BC

The Smashing Pumpkins
6th album
'Zeitgeist'

feel free to pass the info. along yourselves via bulletins, blogs etc......
xo

404 Comments - 547 Kudos - Add Comment
More, from Billboard:

Smashing Pumpkins Name New Album, Add Dates

February 07, 2007, 11:05 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
The Smashing Pumpkins have christened their reunion album "Zeitgeist" and announced an unusual release date of July 7, a Saturday, for the project, which willl be issued by Reprise. The news was broken this morning to fans that had been added by the band as a "friend" on MySpace.com.

However, a Reprise spokesperson tells Billboard.com the label has yet to settle on a specific release date for the album beyond "summer."

Frontman Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin are the lone original members in this new incarnation of the group. The pair has been working in the studio with producers Roy Thomas Baker and Terry Date on the first album under the Pumpkins name since 2000's "MACHINA/The Machines of God."

After last week announcing its first live appearance of the summer would be at Germany's Rock am Ring festival in early June, the Pumpkins have also signed on for Austria's Nova Rock Festival on June 15 and Switzerland's Greenfield Festival two days later.

"For many years there were private laments about opportunities missed and hearts so broken, but no more ... we have turned the page and moved on, from places and faces, names and games," Corgan wrote last month on the band's MySpace site.
Old 02-08-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Between this, the next HP movie and the final HP novel, July is shaping up to be an awesome month!
Old 02-08-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I read that Darcy and James are not going to be in this lineup, if that's the case don't see how its' really the Smashing Pumpkins.

was it not van halen, when david lee roth left? Was it Not Depeche Mode when Andrew Fletcher left?

I don't get this point. Billy was the songwriter AND the singer.
Old 02-08-07, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
was it not van halen, when david lee roth left? Was it Not Depeche Mode when Andrew Fletcher left?

I don't get this point. Billy was the songwriter AND the singer.

I agree he's the most important talent, but when the pumpkins reforming was initially being rumored it was around the fact the band was being assembled, not a few of the key parts.

Trust me I'm excited about this, but would have really enjoyed to see the full group (I consider Darcy the bass) together again.
Old 02-08-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the way I see it. I would absolutley love see the original line up back together again. However, even if James & D'Arcy were involved, would they have any input into the production of the new album or direction of the sound? I think not, even though many people will atest to the fact that D'Arcy was the 1 person who could tell BC he was an idiot.

Now, with regards to the sound of the new group....

If BC really intends for this incarnation to be successful he needs to not over bloat the album (which is the sole thing his solo album did well IMO). The other thing is not to include all the experimental junk (a 10 minute version of Glass & The Ghost Children or The Crying Tree of Mercury for example). I can always appreciate trying something new, but he's no Thom Yorke. There comes a time when you've done enough experimentation that going back and giving your fans the sound they want isn't viewed as reverting to your past.
Old 02-08-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
The thing is, you have some bands that are focused around one person... like The Cure and Robert Smith. People just sort of wander in and out of that band every couple of years.

The Smashing Pumpkins broke up several years ago, Billy Corgan went on to a (more or less) solo career that (more or less) flopped. Sounds like he's just starting a up a new solo thing and branding it "Smashing Pumpkins" to insure more people will care this time around. Just seems fishy considerin that the Pumpkins line-up was stable over most of their career. (Except for when they sacked Jimmy; and when Darcy left near the band's demise.)
Old 02-09-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care if he calls the band "Shitty McShit and the Shits" as long as it doesn't sound like "MACHINA" I'm game.
Old 02-09-07, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
I don't care if he calls the band "Shitty McShit and the Shits" as long as it doesn't sound like "MACHINA" I'm game.
While I didn't care for Machina as an album, I do like I of the Morning, heavy metal machine and Everlasting Gaze, especially live.
Old 02-09-07, 01:48 PM

I actually like Machina, not as much as the prior albums, but thought it was good, and liked that is was different. Heck I liked Adora a lot.

Everlasting Gaze, Raindrops + Sunshowers, I Of The Mourning and Stand Inside Your Love (esp performed live) were good tracks I thought

Glass And The Ghost Children was even mildly entertaining.

Now, Machina 2 Friends & Enemies of Modern Music was a different story, not much on there I liked very much.
Old 02-09-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree he's the most important talent, but when the pumpkins reforming was initially being rumored it was around the fact the band was being assembled, not a few of the key parts.

After listening at all the mud flung..and how the band falled apart in the first place..I would have thought it would take a miracle for the original 4 to get back together.

I was just excited to listen to the songs again.
Old 02-09-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Sounds like he's just starting a up a new solo thing and branding it "Smashing Pumpkins" to insure more people will care this time around.

If the new solo thing sounds like the pumpkins that I used to know..I could care less who is playing bass and guitar. Seriouslly. Billy was the vocals, the inspiration..and the songwriter..and the musician. This wasnt a group effort.
Old 02-09-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually like Machina, not as much as the prior albums, but thought it was good, and liked that is was different. Heck I liked Adora a lot.

Everlasting Gaze, Raindrops + Sunshowers, I Of The Mourning and Stand Inside Your Love (esp performed live) were good tracks I thought
I could probably listen to "Adore" now and like it, I didn't when it first came out.

And I do believe that most MACHINA songs would probably sound better live as they would have all that over-production/filters/whatever stripped away...which is the main reason I dislike the album so much. "Stand Inside your love" might sound pretty good done live and acoustic.

I'll have to get my "Final Show" bootleg out and check to see if I find "Everlasting Gaze" to be less annoying live.

Now, Machina 2 Friends & Enemies of Modern Music was a different story, not much on there I liked very much.
There was actually a few tracks on this set that I liked more than the whole MACHINA album.
Old 02-09-07, 04:05 PM

There was actually a few tracks on this set that I liked more than the whole MACHINA album.
You might have me on that. I honestly didn't get that much playing time, and have a hard time remembering what was on there other then a few different versions of If there was a god..

Is the bootleg you have the audio or video? I have been trying to find the video for years, there is one song at youtube, so it exists.

Hopefully they release the full thing as a dvd like they said they would after the show, to get some interest back in the group.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.