Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins: Zeitgeist - 7/7/07

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Smashing Pumpkins: Zeitgeist - 7/7/07

Old 02-09-07, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
Smashing Pumpkins announced via MySpace bulletin this morning that they will release a new album, Zeitgeist, on July 7 of this year. 07-07-07! How'd they land that lucky date?
Wow! Never expected the Smashing Pumpkins would put out a Christian music CD? Can't wait!
Old 02-09-07, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I don't care if he calls the band "Shitty McShit and the Shits" as long as it doesn't sound like "MACHINA" I'm game.
Didn't realize some hated Machina. I actually liked it quite a bit. That said, I hope the new album doesn't sound like any of their previous work. I'm all for change.
Old 02-09-07, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
You might have me on that. I honestly didn't get that much playing time, and have a hard time remembering what was on there other then a few different versions of If there was a god..

Is the bootleg you have the audio or video? I have been trying to find the video for years, there is one song at youtube, so it exists.

Hopefully they release the full thing as a dvd like they said they would after the show, to get some interest back in the group.

Machina II has lots of good stuff on it......Saturnine, If there is a God, Vanity, Slow Dawn, Go (really underrated Iha song), the alternate Try, Try, Try, the far better 'heavy' Blue Skies Bring Tears, Cash Car Star....

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 02-10-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Saturnine", "Slow Dawn", the heavier "Blue Skies Bring Tears", & "Glass' Theme" were good stuff. Better than what was on "MACHINA".

Is the bootleg you have the audio or video? I have been trying to find the video for years, there is one song at youtube, so it exists.
Audio. 4 discs worth of audio, the entire show. It's not the best of quality and it was recorded in the audience...but it's sorta cool as it helps put you in the audience.

Hopefully they release the full thing as a dvd like they said they would after the show, to get some interest back in the group.
Yeah, I'm still waiting for that one to come out.
Old 02-10-07, 11:00 AM

"An Ode to No One" from the last show is on the 1991-2000 Greatest Hits Video Collection dvd. Was that the song on youtube?
Old 02-12-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
"An Ode to No One" from the last show is on the 1991-2000 Greatest Hits Video Collection dvd. Was that the song on youtube?
Yes, but it's not the all chopped up version that was on the dvd, if memory serves me right.

I figure the whole show is floating around, else maybe it will be released with this album's date to get some buzz. That would rock.
Old 02-19-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by krazykat72
Machina II has lots of good stuff on it......Saturnine, If there is a God, Vanity, Slow Dawn, Go (really underrated Iha song), the alternate Try, Try, Try, the far better 'heavy' Blue Skies Bring Tears, Cash Car Star....

-Paul Jacobi-
I was actually one of the winners of the SPIFC contest where someone with the Machina II vinyl pressings remastered it and burned it straight to CDR. Great quality.
Old 02-19-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's official - James and D'arcy are OUT

Smashing Pumpkins' former band members ruled outBilly wont be recalling his former guitarist and bassist

Smashing Pumpkins circa 2000 The clearest signs yet that former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha and bassist D'Arcy Wretzky are not involved in the band's new album have come during an interview with the band's manager Paul Geary over the weekend.

Speaking to MTV News, Geary hinted that the band's reunion this year would only feature bandleader Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin. The news has been widely reported - hinted at by Corgan himself during an Internet posting last month - but the actual line up is still to be confirmed.

"I've been involved with bands whose members can't stand each other," he said, "and over time they run out of dough and that's why they (reunite)."

"But Billy's making a great record, and for the sake of a younger generation that he wants to turn on to the band's music, he is doing it with a band that will more faithfully recreate the old songs than ever before."__

Geary was also quick to play down allegations Corgan had reformed the band for the money. "They've had some amazingly big offers - some seven figure ones to play certain shows - and Billy has passed on several because he didn't think it was the right thing for the band."
Old 02-19-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I was actually one of the winners of the SPIFC contest where someone with the Machina II vinyl pressings remastered it and burned it straight to CDR. Great quality.
Is the quality better than the widely available rip? If so would you mind sharing?

MODS: This does NOT violate any copyrights. Machina II was only released on the Internet with grassroots distribution in mind.
Old 02-19-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Is the quality better than the widely available rip? If so would you mind sharing?
It's the best quality you can get that's not the vinyl. This wasn't a rip - it was studio recorded from a high-end turntable into a digital recorder and studio remastered.

The problem with sharing is that it would be a rip, so I don't know if the quality would be affected. I could rip to WAV I guess, but I don't have a way of hosting. I'm also concerned about the DCMA impact, and I love SP and have no desire to piss them off.
Old 02-19-07, 12:01 PM

I always liked "Here's To The Atom Bomb". Well, I've got two versions, one is 3:50 and one is 4:26, and I like the 3:50 version much better. I believe one of them was on the Judas O disc (disc 2 of the greatest hits; was this a limited release extra?), I don't remember which version was on that.

And for my money, Billy and Jimmy are the two most important components of SP by far. While I would be happy if Iha and D'arcy were back, I won't lose any sleep over their absence.

As for Zwan, the first show at Metro (Chicago) was awesome, the second show (Milwaukee?) was pretty "meh", sound-quality wise.
Old 02-19-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts
So Corrigan and Chamberlain? Couldn't they have just said "Zwan Reunion"?
Old 02-19-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
No. Zwan and SP have distinctive sounds. This isn't Zwan, it's meant to be SP.
Old 02-19-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well that's a bummer on the lineup. I was sure they would at least get James on board. Oh well, as long as they have Corgan I'm willing to give him some money. Even his terrible solo album was worth going to see live in my opinion.

Now, for a US tour to be announced.

Also, I hope 75% of the show is pumpkins classics, call me lame, but I haven't heard those live since the last show.
Old 02-20-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For a moment there, I thought Corrigan was a replacement for James or D'Arcy before I realized that you meant Corgan. (Not laughing at you, laughing at my mistake.)
-ringding-
Old 02-20-07, 08:50 PM

3/4 or no sale
Old 02-20-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to slam, at least spell the guy's name right.

Its not a Zwan Reunion, and its most likely not going to be a smashing pumpkins reunion.

SO just let it go.
Old 02-20-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by danstheday
3/4 or no sale
Speak for yourself. I'll take your ticket.
Old 02-21-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Well I'm sure this will be interesting once it comes out. I'm not to big these days on running out and getting a new album, but I will probably pick this one up quick.

I prefered the later Pumpkins work and Zwan to the earlier Pumpkins work. Will give my greatest hits CD another listen.
Old 02-22-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07

I prefered the later Pumpkins work and Zwan to the earlier Pumpkins work. Will give my greatest hits CD another listen.

Thats quite interesting. The Pumpkins later work definately had a different vibe than their earlier work.

Zwan was a different beast all together, good in its own way.
Old 02-22-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked Gish a lot when it came out (sounds a little dated now). Siamese Dream was great then and still sounds terrific. I alternately loved and hated Mellon Collie which would have been a classic had it been a single album. The last two Pumpkins albums were pretty awful, IMO.

Nothing that Corgan has done since then has grabbed me. He seems to be sinking more and more into a Echo and the Bunnymen/New Order cover band phase. With half the band missing and no return to the 1993 sound in sight, I have absolutely no interest in this. They were good fourteen years ago, let's just leave it at that.
Old 02-22-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a pre-Gish SP song that sounds very "The Cure-ish".

But then it was the 1980's.
Old 02-22-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hiro11
They were good fourteen years ago, let's just leave it at that.
Again, SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. This is huge news to real fans of the band. Move along if that's not you.

SP was one of the most original and influential bands of their day. I'm curious to hear what they are coming out with. There's a reason this isn't Zwan; Billy brought the name back to match the music he wanted to make. He wants to make SP music, not Zwan music.

If you don't want to give it chance, fine. But to dismiss it because they were once great is quite ridiculous.
Old 02-23-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
They were good fourteen years ago, let's just leave it at that.

Good. One less person to deal with to get good tickets.
Old 02-23-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Again, SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. This is huge news to real fans of the band. Move along if that's not you.
seriously though, people are allowed to discuss SP/the new album/tour in this thread even if they're not 100% with you. this isn't china.

i, myself, am disappointed there will only be 1/2 the original lineup. heck, i enjoyed them sans d'arcy. this reeks of "zwan failed, let's change the name". i'll keep an open mind though, and look forward to hearing what they churn out!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.