Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Squadron Supreme - Supreme Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Squadron Supreme - Supreme Power

Quick question for you guys. Is the new Squadron Supreme still ongoing? Ive been reading the hardcovers for Supreme Power, and Squadron Supreme vol 1.

Last week picked up #6 single to catch up, but now all i see is #7 and a Hyperion vs Nighthawk mini series. As well as the Ultimate Power. But where is the main title?

This is hands down my favorite Marvel title out now. Any other fans out there?
Old 01-17-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stingermck
Any other fans out there?
I'm a fan of the writer. I'm a fan of the art. I'm a fan of the idea.

The execution has been....umm.....seriously slow. Between the original mini (or maxi?) series and the ongoing, nothing of note has happened. I dropped the title because it wasn't going anywhere for me.

Glad you're enjoying it though.
Old 01-17-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved the book when it was relaunched a few years ago. After about a year or so the book started to have delay after delay, then it was taken off the MAX line altogether. When that happened, I pretty much lost interest. From what I can see the book is pretty much experiencing major delays with JMS taking on quite a few books for Marvel.

However, the original Squadron Supreme was pretty good, especially the graphic novel Death Of A Universe if you can find it.
Old 01-17-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
I loved the book when it was relaunched a few years ago. After about a year or so the book started to have delay after delay, then it was taken off the MAX line altogether. When that happened, I pretty much lost interest.
That was the same situation I was in. I enjoyed the writing, despite the slow plot progression. Then they moved it from the MAX line to a regular issue. Now the loss of the occasional boob shot and the swearing didn't bother me, but it seemed that the stories lost something more than that. I went through the first 4 or so issues and gave up on it.
Old 01-17-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have bought both series up to date, but I was going to quite Squadron Supreme once the fill-in art started, but then Gary Frank showed up in the next issue, but once the current arc is done, I'm probably also done with the series, unless something really piques my interest on the next arc, besides slugfest issues, which seem to be the theme of the recent issues. I didn't pick up the Nighthawk-Hyperion mini-series that started last week.
Old 01-17-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh so there has been a lot of delays? Guess I never noticed that just borrowing the trades from a friend of mine.

Gary Frank is my favorite artist so he adds a lot to the book for me. Ultimate Power will probably be the only Ultimate book I can handle (Unless The Punisher get a series)

But I guess delays are better than the book being canned *cough* Firestorm and Manhunter.
Old 01-17-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
It was a good series until Marvel pulled it away from the MAX imprint and relaunched it in their all-ages line.

Pretty much killed the book.

Just another reason to hate Marvel.
Old 01-17-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought all of the Supreme Power Max series, and the Hyperion, Spectrum, Nighthawk, mini-series...but I only lasted 3 issues into Squadron Supreme before I dropped it, and all related series. It was just SO blah. I kinda regret sticking with it as long as I did.

Oh, and Amazing Spider-Man made me REALLY hate JMS, so they had that going against them.
Old 01-19-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Oh, and Amazing Spider-Man made me REALLY hate JMS, so they had that going against them.
The more I think about it, I need to change my original "I'm a fan of the writer" to "I was a fan of the writer, I'm really just a fan of B5". I've tried every book JMS has done and I'm not reading a single one now.
Old 01-19-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
The more I think about it, I need to change my original "I'm a fan of the writer" to "I was a fan of the writer, I'm really just a fan of B5". I've tried every book JMS has done and I'm not reading a single one now.
JMS had some good books in the past. Rising Stars was great, and Midnight Nation had a decent start, although it sort of petered out towards the end.

His Fantastic Four is simply attrocious. I'm on the fence about Amazing Spider-Man... there's been too many forced crossovers lately for a coherent plot to be carried.
Old 01-19-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I still enjoy the SUPREME and SQUADRON SUPREME books. The storytelling and premise remind me of Moore's MIRACLEMAN series (perhaps his best work along with WATCHMEN).

I actually didn't notice at first that the series left the MAX imprint. The infrequent scheduling may kill the title, but for anyone who enjoys "realistic" superhero stories, these are hard to beat.
Old 03-10-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump time. Anyone hear anything lately whats up with the main title? The latest issue i see at my LCS is #7. Yet Marvel.com shows covers/descriptions for 8 & 9.
I read somewhere it was possibly on hiatus while Hyperion vs. Nighthawk is coming out. If so, I don't know why.

I picked up Ultimate Power and Hyperion VS Nighthawk, to have some new content, but it seems like they're kicking these out, just to keep the brand alive.
Old 03-11-07, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I collected the entire original series and thought it was a very mediocre series. The new series didn't interest me at all.

If JMS lacks something, it's subtly. His ideas were good but he might as well have been waving a huge flag going "HEY EVERYONE LOOK HERE! THIS IS THE JUSTICE LEAGUE IN THE REAL WORLD! LOOK AT HOW TERRIFYING THEY ARE! btw, the US needs to stop acting like an asshole to foreign nations."
Old 03-23-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joe Q answered my SS question today at Newsarama

JQ: stingermck, the most current Squadron stories are being published in the Hyperion vs. Nighthawk mini right now. As for the future of the title, look for announcements to be made about that soon - but it will be returning!
Old 03-24-07, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I'm sure it'll be back when they've jumped every shark they can find.

#1. Title change.
#2. Went from Mature Readers to All Ages.
#3. New artist.
#4. Lost the new artist.
#5. Rapid shift in tone and direction.
#6. Massive delays.
#7. Stuck a self-containted story into a pointless crossover with the Ultimate Universe.

Can Ted McGinley be far behind?
Old 03-24-07, 06:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Can Ted McGinley be far behind?