Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tom Goes To The Mayor - Complete Series 04.03.07

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom Goes To The Mayor - Complete Series 04.03.07

I assume this got announced with other Adult Swim titles, but i did a search for Tom Goes to the mayor, and adult swim without pulling anything up. Is this the first of the adult swim titles to have 3 disc?

Old 12-23-06, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if it's the first adult swim show to get a 3-disc set because it's the first one I've ever been interested in. I own a couple shows like "Futurama" and "Pee-wee's Playhouse" that they acquired and aired but when it comes to the original as stuff that's worth a damn it's pretty much "TGTTM" and the "Space Ghost" related stuff, which I believe is incomplete.

I love how the majority of as viewers loathe "Tom Goes To The Mayor" and Tim and Eric but they can keep their "Family Guy" and "Squidbillies" crap. "Tom Goes To The Mayor" is brilliant and I would be sad that it's most likely over if not for the fact that they have a new sketch show premiering on February 11 called "Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!"

As much as I love "TGTTM" it was originally just one of several brilliant movies on timanderic.com and it didn't really deserve to be elevated to series status above most of their other hilarious clips and I think the sketch show format will be a better fit for the spirit of their website.

I hear more "TGTTM" content is possible as segments on "TAEASGJ!" anyways which is really the best case scenario. That way they can do it if they want to but they aren't limited to it.

In any case, I'll be buying this the first day it's released.

Last edited by GuruTwo; 12-23-06 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-18-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i just never could keep up when it was on. I plan on getting this day one, and hope to see Tom Peters show up in the new show
Old 01-19-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't like the early episodes of this show, but I liked the later ones so I'll pick this up.
Old 01-19-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the show by Mr. Show alumni Bob Odenkirk?
Old 01-19-07, 01:50 PM
Banned

It's not really "by... Bob Odenkirk"

He was involved and made frequent appearances but to those familiar with his work and the work of timanderic.com it's apparent that Tim and Eric are the primary creative forces by a wide margin.
Old 01-19-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I made my own DVD set for Season 1 using Tivo recordings, but I'll gladly be picking up this set on release day. TGTTM is an underappreciated show. Definitely worth checking out if you enjoy bizarre humor.
Old 01-19-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the weird twisting of suburban life that this show did was really amusing, and I think that Tom's endless hopefulness in the face of his enormous adversity and complete lack of talent made him a really good punching bag. I really loved the city council meetings being held at the buffet, and the giant soda cups and the sauce restaurant were really funny stuff, because they really identified grotesque things in everyday life.

It was really winding down though, and getting way beyond what was funny about its premise. I am glad those guys are showing up in a new show, but it was time for them to do something else.

Incidentally, I also liked "Sealab" when it was at the top of its game, and I really like "Metalocalypse." But Brak was never more than a funny voice, and I have really grown disgusted with "Aqua Teen," since they had the giant dick monster makign spaceships out of dicks. I think it's good that cartoon network is doing this, though, even if the shows are of uneven quality.
Old 01-22-07, 09:35 AM
Banned

!!!!
Old 07-25-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

disc 1 loads up on my toshiba hd a2 but it won't play any of the episodes...hoping i just need to update the firmware. anyone else had this problem