King Kong DVD Question

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

King Kong DVD Question

Old 12-04-06, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King Kong DVD Question

ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIA

All DVD versions of the movie contain at least four known instances of DVD "watermarking" that are assumed to be anti-piracy measures. In Region 1, the letters "KKDD" appear for one frame on the character Bruce Baxter's (Kyle Chandler) arm at 00:30:29 and 2:01:33. Another is seen at 1:00:05 on the arm of an islander. The fourth instance is at 01:30:05 on the bamboo stick King Kong is chewing on. Region 2 has the same instances, but the letters "KKID" are used instead.

LINK
is that true for the HD DVD version?
Old 12-05-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had not heard this before
Old 12-06-06, 12:56 AM

I checked my standard def version of King Kong first to make sure I knew what I was looking for. Sure, enough, I spotted the first watermark at 30 minutes, 29 seconds.

I then checked the HD-DVD, and could not find any such watermark (checking at and around the same point of 30:29). I only checked for the first watermark.
Old 12-06-06, 05:58 AM
Banned

Yeah, like watermarks are going to stop piracy. Bootlegers make pirate copies of theater recordings of the movie. Several dumb watermarks aren't going to stop them from making copies of it. That is as useless as the FBI warning and the anti-smoking ads.
Old 12-06-06, 12:43 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Actually, the watermarks in theatrical prints are unique on each print, so by watching a copy of a bootleg, investigators can determine which print, in which theater, in which city, the bootleg originated.

However I LOATH those ugly brown watermarks and they ruin the theatrical experience for me.
Old 12-06-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These watermarks are different than the ones in theatrical prints, and seem to be the same from one disc to another.
Old 12-06-06, 03:31 PM

I don't understand how it could prevent/deter copying. However, maybe it's there so you can verify you DON'T have a bootleg.
Old 12-06-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never noticed watermarks in theaters or anything. So as long as they don't overdo it and become obvious. I'm not worried about them like some people