Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Gift Card Problem

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having a little problem with Best Buy and Im wondering what everything thinks I should do.

I bought 4 giftcards at Bestbuy.com for $400 at $100 a piece. They were going to be used for Xmas but I decided I'll spend them and buy some more later.

So I made a purchase with 2 of them. The balance was like $120 and change. So I paid with 2 gift cards. The cashier was new and still had a white shirt. Everything goes ok, she hands me back the giftcard with the $72 balance and I leave.

I go to Best Buy a few weeks later and find out when I try to use it I was given the wrong giftcard back with the 0 balance. Talk to the manager and he tells me, call Bestbuy.com, they'll cancel the giftcard and issue me a new one.

So I call Best Buy talk to Consumer Relations, and I think its all handled. She tells me she'll cancel and have itissued and it should arrive in 21 days. She say it wasnt used and still had the $72 balance. I wait 21 days, no giftcard. So I call back, and Im told my giftcard reissue was DENIED cause I bought the Giftcards through BestBuy.com so I have to get this handled with BestBuy.com and not Best Buy consumer relations. Im like ok, so I talk to Best Buy.com customer service and not Best Buy consumer relations. Confusing?

So I talk to them, said they'd look into it, got a reference number and that was it. Waited a week, never heard back, called today and was told that Bestbuy.com would not issue me it because it was a store related issue and the store needs to issue me the giftcard, not Bestbuy.com. I told them what the manager told me and they refused to budge. Asked for supervisor. Supervisor refused to tell me his full or id# and all he gave me was the name "Burke". Said it was store policy to refuse any other information requests. So I told him, what if I say the gift card was just lost on my behalf and he told me, if you lost it, then our policy is not to replace gift cards even if theirs balance. He said we still have your reference # and were going to continue to look into it, give us more time.

Sorry, long story. So basically, Bestbuy, Bestbuy.com, and Bestbuy the store I purchased from doesn't wish to refund my giftcard for $72. It wasnt even my fault the wrong card was given back to me. What actions do you think I should do next as Im kinda sick of waiting around to get this corrected. Nobody wishes to take any responsibilty. So I contact the head office of Besbuy?? Anyone got an address?
Old 10-26-06, 07:21 PM

have you tried American express. They guarantee that if a card is lost/stolen/what not, they will replace it if you can provide the card # and the paper work. You can get a phone # for amex at gethuman.org -->database
Old 10-26-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, having worked part time their. With access to the receipt which you currently have if you dont ahve one they might be able to look it up. But if you have the receipt it will make things easier. They admin can look up the gift card number (which has the remaining balance) and see it if was ever used at all. Plus you currently have a gift card with a zero balance and it shuold be the same damn number which is on receipt and you can argue why the hell would i be given back a gift card that has zero balance on it.

I know they can research this crap because our store had some cashiers who were stealing "gift cards". Pretty retarded cuz they were dumb enough to use the gift card @ the same store. Usually when an employees uses a gift card to buy something at our store at least the admin usually looks up the gift card and sees how it was purchased. If it was a remaining balance or left over money from another transaction with someone elses name on it. and your the person that rung them up, they end up getting fired.

But that sucks that your out of a gift card because some new hire didn't know what he was doing and messed up. Something i would reccomend for the future would be after getting the card back request them to run a balance check on the card before going. I tend to do that so I dont get back the wrong card.
Old 10-26-06, 11:46 PM

Just called American Express and told me only Best Buy could handle this. American Express only issues the cards doesnt cancel and reissue
Old 10-27-06, 02:12 AM
Suspended

Simply write a letter to the BBB & explain everything in detail, any id #'s, reference #s, make reference to your receipts, etc... They should get it taken care of for you.
Old 10-27-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out www.bestbuysux.org for similar stories like yours and see how they were handled. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Best Buy to help you out on this.
Old 10-28-06, 06:51 PM

call the number on teh best buy terms and conditions ee if they do anything. tell them the gift card has been lost/stolen. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ry&id=cat09000
. If that does not work, go to the store and talk to the operations manager.