Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How come it takes for Amazon over 3 days to ship something out?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-29-06, 11:01 PM

All of my orders ship the same day, but then I do have Amazon Prime
Old 09-29-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oleg23
I hear you. I ordered Smallville Season 5 and it took them a solid week before they shipped it out. The only good thing is that I usually get my order within two days after it finally goes out the door.
Old 09-29-06, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I hear you. I ordered Smallville Season 5 and it took them a solid week before they shipped it out. The only good thing is that I usually get my order within two days after it finally goes out the door.
Yea this Is sucks for us,but I do not use Amazon much as there are much better deals.
Old 09-30-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oleg23
Are you using free shipping? If so it states that it will take 3-5 days longer for the shipment to get out. That's because Amazon saves all of those shipments to send out in bulk and get a bigger discount on the shipping rates when they ship in bulk.
Old 09-30-06, 02:53 AM
Suspended

It depends on how much you spend, in my own experience. I don't have Amazon Prime. I always use free shipping. If its under $50 it takes a good week or more before its even shipped out. Over $50, but under $100 it takes about 3 to 5 days for something to ship. When I spent $176 on my last order it shipped the same day. It doesn't matter what is ordered either, most of the time anyway. It seems the more money you spend the faster they want to be able to get that money so they ship & charge the card immediately.
Old 09-30-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Used to be, if something said "ships in 24 hours", it shipped within 24 hours, even if you were getting free shipping.

Now, it takes 5-7 days as a penalty for not agreeing to give them $$$$ for Amazon Prime.
Old 09-30-06, 04:13 PM

If you want free shipping that ships that day, try Barnes and Noble, but then their prices are not that competitive even with the member discount since they charge tax.
Old 10-05-06, 04:14 PM

What I was just told by Amazon, which is new by my observations, is that if you change the Shipping Method to something other than Super Saver (free) shipping, it will ship out sooner than the free shipping.

This is a recent change by Amazon because up until this week, regardless of the shipment method, my DVDs usually shipped 1 or 2 days prior to the release date.

As a test, my order for DVD Release date of 10/17, with the Free Shipping, will not ship out until 10/21. I changed the shipment method to something that costs me money and the ship date changes to 10/17.
Old 10-06-06, 12:40 PM

My vendors ship for free (Media Mail), but do go out the door several days before street date.

In this way, I receive the DVD on street date or occasionally before. Why can't Amazon ship their DVDs out sooner than street date--even if you paying extra for shipping?
Old 10-06-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pre-ordered the WWE Brian Pillmam DVD which was released on Sept. 26th. It mailed out on Sept. 27th and just arrived today, Oct. 6th. I also pre-ordered WWE Summerslam 2006 & another DVD, both were released on Sept. 26th, on a seperate order. They shipped on Oct. 4th and arrived on Oct. 5th.

Not sure why the big difference in shipping times but I could have bought them both on Sept. 26th for the exact same price at Circuit City and even gotten a free DVD with the Summerslam disc. It used to be that Amazon would ship pre-orders on the Monday before they were released so you would receive it at least by Wed. or Thursday.
Old 10-06-06, 01:14 PM

Up until recently, Amazon always shipped my orders before the release date, sometimes as early as the Saturday before the release date.

Unfortunately, Media Mail to the State of Alaska takes as long as 3 weeks
Old 10-07-06, 02:37 PM

I think this is a bad business model. The least they could do is pretend to be working on your order when you first place it.

Two days ago I purchased a Oral-B Triumph toothbrush from their site. A $100 item that I purchased on impulse. Today they still hadn't gotten around to working on my order so I decided to change my mind and was able to cancel it with no problems. They just lost a sale
Old 10-07-06, 04:13 PM

Ordering books, for school is just a disaster even if you do pay for shipping. What good is a book going to do me a month and a half AFTER I order it. I will NEVER order another book from them, if there is a good deal I will order it from a private seller on Amazon.
Old 10-11-06, 12:36 PM

As an Amazon Prime member, I would be a bit annoyed if I'm paying $80. a month for shipping, and Amazon treats my order the same as someone who does not pay anything for shipping. If you want to use free shipping, then you have to expect slower service. I use Barnes and Noble's free shipping and while it makes up a bit for the sales tax, most if not all my packages are rescheduled in transit so that it takes longer than the promised three business days, but as I'm not paying for it, I don't particularly mind. If I want something immediately, I don't use Barnes and Noble.
Old 10-11-06, 05:45 PM

I'm a "prime" member, but lately it's taking them days to ship, even though they immediately start "processing" the order so it can't be cancelled and then they'll ship the prime order to Michigan UPS ground from someplace like Nevada..
Old 10-11-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Amazon. I have the Prime trial now, and I get everything two business days after I order. Before Prime, I would wait until I qualified for free shipping; it would take usually two days to ship out, but the wait never bothered me much. If I wanted or needed it quickly, I could always pay for shipping.
Old 10-12-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure I understand "Prime". I just signed up for the trial (really, because I want something quick, I'll be cancelling it I'm sure) and, sure it's 2-day shipping.. but that's when it ships. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought they meant to imply that two days after ordering an in-stock item, you'd receive it. Not four to six days after you order it because they take so long to ship it. Granted, it is quicker than the free shipping I usual use, it just doesn't seem to work the way it seems implied to.
Old 10-12-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be fair, as a Prime member, I get everything very promptly. I had Batman Begins, Willy Wonka, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, and Polar Express pre-ordered on HD DVD well before their 10/10 release date. Batman and Corpse Bride shipped 10/9 and arrived 10/10. Charlie and Polar Express shipped 10/10 and arrived 10/11. Willy Wonka shipped 10/10 and arrived today, 10/12.