Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Reward Zone: When do new rates start?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When do the new reward rates for Best Buy's Reward Zone program begin?

This is the new program that offers you a $5 certificate when you buy $250 worth of goods, where previously it was $150. The new program is free, while the old one was a $10 fee.

On BB's web site, they only show the old rates. In fact, there is no information that the rates will dramatically drop.

The new rates begin sometime this month, but I'm just not sure when that is.

I will definitely reduce my spending there when the new rates take effect.
Old 09-12-06, 01:52 PM

i believe the 22nd of this month.
Old 09-12-06, 02:13 PM

The new "program" starts September 18th, this coming Monday. The info is on the homepage once you log-in.
Old 09-22-06, 04:58 AM

So the new program has started. However does anyone know if BB is rewarding the old point system to purchases made before the 18th, or what the cutoff date for the change will be?

I have 2000.00 or so in purchases from last month (the 15th) that still haven't been changed to certificates. Am I going to get the shaft on these points at the new rate?
Old 09-22-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corihor1
So the new program has started. However does anyone know if BB is rewarding the old point system to purchases made before the 18th, or what the cutoff date for the change will be?

I have 2000.00 or so in purchases from last month (the 15th) that still haven't been changed to certificates. Am I going to get the shaft on these points at the new rate?
From BestBuy's Site
As you know, we've made some changes to the Reward Zone program that take effect this Fall, including a simplified points system. One question on members' minds is, "What happens to my existing points?"

Here's the answer:

You will continue to earn 100 points for nearly every $1 spent through Sept. 30, 2006. During the month of September, we will begin converting your earned points to the new points system (1 point for nearly every $1 spent). Also, any bonus points that you earn through Sept. 30 will be added to your account, then converted to the new rate

The important things to know are that you will not lose any of your points or your points value, and you do not need to do anything.

After Sept. 30, you will earn points at the new rate on all future transactions.

Note For Ohio Residents
If you are currently a member residing in the Columbus, Dayton or Cincinnati area, you are already earning 1 point for nearly every $1 you spend. You will continue to earn at this rate, and your total points will not change.

Terms & Conditions:
n/a
Old 09-23-06, 06:20 PM

and if you get the new reward zone mastercard you can get 4% cash back via certs.
Old 09-29-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's an odd one. So, they started converting my points over to the new point system, earlier this month. However, as they state, points earned before Sept. 30th would not lose their value. So, I log-on just a few minutes ago, and they have taken my posted points off (which happened to be 150 points as converted to the new system), and it shows as an issued $5.00 certificate. However, when I click the "view and print certificate" link, it shows nothing. What the heck? I guess I'm going to have to give them a call, and find out what is going on. What a mess this new system is.
Old 09-30-06, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Here's an odd one. So, they started converting my points over to the new point system, earlier this month. However, as they state, points earned before Sept. 30th would not lose their value. So, I log-on just a few minutes ago, and they have taken my posted points off (which happened to be 150 points as converted to the new system), and it shows as an issued $5.00 certificate. However, when I click the "view and print certificate" link, it shows nothing. What the heck? I guess I'm going to have to give them a call, and find out what is going on. What a mess this new system is.
I had the same thing happen it takes about 2 days for the cert to generate and show up on that screen.

I, however, am having a NEW problem that I'm NOT liking at all. I bought stuff this past weekend and know that it will not officially post for 30 days. BUT the amount should show up in my pending points for a line entry for that date and the dollar amount. Well that transaction shows up but it's showing up as $0.00 and not counting anything toward my pending points. To make matters worse I used a cert that I got with a recent reward zone certificate that said I got double points on music and dvds. The ENTIRE purchase I made was dvds and music so it should have been doubled.

I emailed support and they are trying to tell me that it won't show up until after 30 days which is a bunch of nonsense since the other transactions from the week before show up and any returns show up as minuses. When I take the amounts that are showing up under transactions from a week ago and add them up the amounts come out to my pending points perfectly.

Check your points VERY carefully and make sure you keep documentation of ALL of your purchases while they are converting.
Old 09-30-06, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-fanman
I had the same thing happen it takes about 2 days for the cert to generate and show up on that screen.

I, however, am having a NEW problem that I'm NOT liking at all. I bought stuff this past weekend and know that it will not officially post for 30 days. BUT the amount should show up in my pending points for a line entry for that date and the dollar amount. Well that transaction shows up but it's showing up as $0.00 and not counting anything toward my pending points. To make matters worse I used a cert that I got with a recent reward zone certificate that said I got double points on music and dvds. The ENTIRE purchase I made was dvds and music so it should have been doubled.

I emailed support and they are trying to tell me that it won't show up until after 30 days which is a bunch of nonsense since the other transactions from the week before show up and any returns show up as minuses. When I take the amounts that are showing up under transactions from a week ago and add them up the amounts come out to my pending points perfectly.

Check your points VERY carefully and make sure you keep documentation of ALL of your purchases while they are converting.
Thanks for the information on the certificate not showing up. After I posted this, I ended up calling customer service. The lady there said that the system was in failure, and it would be fixed sometime next week, but, didn't know when. I'm hoping before Tuesday, because I plan to use the $5.00 certificate Tuesday morning.

As far as the $0.00 amount posted on a transaction date, that has happened to me twice in the last year. Both times, the date of my purchase was correct, however, the points were $0.00. I would E-mail, and call, and get the same response. You have to wait 30 days, before they will do anything about it. I waited more than 30 days, in both cases, and it never posted an amount. Thankfully, I save my receipts, and contacted them with my totals, and they would post them (after the 30 days), but, instead of showing what your purchases are, they showed up as "Customer Satisfaction". Both times this happened, I paid with a combination of cash and a check card. So, hold on to your receipts, and wait the 30 days. Then they will help you.
Old 10-04-06, 11:12 AM

As the one who started this post, with all the hassles involved (not to mention the lower "rewards") the RZ program just doesn't seem worth it.

Just yesterday, I visited a store to use my most recent reward cert and I wanted a price match. When I went to the register, I was told I had to go to Customer Service since they are the only ones who can do price matches.

Then they call the other vendor to see what their current price was, although it was clearly stated on the ad I brought in. Then they wanted to deny me the price match since the ad said "Limit 1 per customer." But the good news is that they made an exception and let me price match. This was for 2 DVDs with just one dollar difference for each one.

In the future I will shop elsewhere since the 2% "reward" is just not that significant on a $15 DVD. If I'm buying a $2000 TV, I may change my mind, however!
Old 10-04-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a $5 cert. issued over a week ago and it still hasn't shown up in the view/print page.
Old 10-04-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdirv
As the one who started this post, with all the hassles involved (not to mention the lower "rewards") the RZ program just doesn't seem worth it.

Just yesterday, I visited a store to use my most recent reward cert and I wanted a price match. When I went to the register, I was told I had to go to Customer Service since they are the only ones who can do price matches.

Then they call the other vendor to see what their current price was, although it was clearly stated on the ad I brought in. Then they wanted to deny me the price match since the ad said "Limit 1 per customer." But the good news is that they made an exception and let me price match. This was for 2 DVDs with just one dollar difference for each one.

In the future I will shop elsewhere since the 2% "reward" is just not that significant on a $15 DVD. If I'm buying a $2000 TV, I may change my mind, however!

Even at the initial, higher rate of return, the Rewards were not worth extra effort to buy something from BB unless it's a huge ticket item or you're already going there for something.
Old 10-04-06, 02:03 PM
Banned

The new rates had to have gone in effect some time ago, it has been quite some time since I got a $5 certificate. I use to get them alot more often before the change, plus I use to get $10 & $20 ones on occasion. Looks like I am going elsewhere from now on. Free or not the program sucks now..
Old 10-04-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have issues with price matching at best buy before, but they are usually pretty good about it. one time the girl couldnt find the date on the ad and tried to look online at it had the regular price and not the sale price. i turned over the ad and pointed it out after 5 minutes of arguing.

about the points, i haven't really looked online in awhile at how many i have, but i agree, it's not as good with the new system versus the old one.
Old 10-04-06, 08:35 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Even at the initial, higher rate of return, the Rewards were not worth extra effort to buy something from BB unless it's a huge ticket item or you're already going there for something.
Since you can always price match at BB (well, at least I have never had a problem with it), I have always viewed RZ as an added bonus that other retailer do not offer.
Old 10-04-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I have a $5 cert. issued over a week ago and it still hasn't shown up in the view/print page.
Same thing with me. I've called the Reward Zone customer service (since the contact us page on the site doesn't work, anymore), twice. The first time, the lady I spoke with said that the system was in failure, and it would be sometime THIS week before it was fixed. The second time, the lady I spoke with said it will take 7-10 days before it appears in the "View and Print Certificate" section. Come on! I also reported the problem with the "Contact Us" section, and told her that everytime I filled out the form, and hit submit, it never went through, even though ALL of the information was filled out. She said she would report it to their technical staff.

What is going on with Best Buy, lately? They seem to be really going downhill!
Old 10-05-06, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
So we have to print these out now? They're not sending them to us in the mail anymore?
Old 10-05-06, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spez
So we have to print these out now? They're not sending them to us in the mail anymore?
It seems they want people to get their certificates thru email, everytime I go to BB they make me check my info and ask if I want the certs by mail or email. Trying to save them money I guess...
Old 10-05-06, 09:05 PM

I just got one last week or so in the snail mail -- I have been doing it that way almost since the beginning since I had some initial problems with the e-mail printing and such. IMHO I would use snail mail and just be patient, rather get them late then never or hassle and them re-issue and repeat.
Old 10-12-06, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good thing i milked it quite a bit a couple years back.

the 1st year i had it, i made like 85 bucks in certificates.

this past year of having it (probably excluding 2 months), i only made 25 bucks.

the 250 point rate system kind of discouraged me from shopping there as often, obviously.