Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Chucky Franchise Collection questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chucky Franchise Collection questions..

Seed of Chucky is the R rated version and not the unrated version. Is there anything worthwhile missing,or is only the
Spoiler:
upclose shot of Chucky masturbating
the only addition?

And most importantly,how are the dvds packaged? Are they in their own holders,or are they the infamous overlapping disc packaging?
Old 09-19-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about what scenes are added as I never saw the theatrical version, but I'm going to guess and say the packaging will be 2 discs stacked on top of each other. It seems like alot of newer multi-disc releases I've bought lately have been this style of packaging. The Classic Sci-Fi Collection that is exclusive to Best Buy had this style, and it's from Universal. Good news was no flipper discs.
Old 09-19-06, 08:33 PM

If the discs were not flippers,then I'm more ok with the overlapping packaging(as stupid as it is). But if the dvds are flippers and packaged this way. It makes it tougher to take out the bottom dvd,since I don't want to set the other dvd down risking getting scratched and stuff. Meanwhile it's easier for the dvds to get scratched when trying to pull them out,if the death grip locks are still in use.
Old 09-19-06, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just buy them seperately.... Why anyone would be interested in this set confuses me....
Seed of Chucky is a terrible movie....
Old 09-19-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's a terrible excuse for a set anyhow, not including the first. I don't care of the reasons, it's just lame not to have them all together in one set. Different companies and all.

Last edited by mzupeman2; 09-19-06 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow.

No deleted scenes on the first two sequels.
No unrated cut for the latter sequel.

Just wow.
Old 09-19-06, 11:04 PM

The reason the original is not included is because it's owned by another studio(MGM). So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Also if anyone is familiar with the franchise sets. They just package the previous dvd releases together in one set. So if the previous dvd was bare bones,the Franchise edition is no different. Therefore,you only have the trailers for parts 2 and 3 and no deleted scenes or other features.

While Seed is not that good of a film(some bits were funny though). This set is still the cheapest way to acquire the sequels. Since parts 2-4 go for roughly $10 a piece which equals $40 not including tax or shipping fees.
Old 09-20-06, 01:26 AM

Will Child's Play EVER be released in widescreen?!
Old 09-20-06, 02:52 PM

I believe the IGN review stated that this set actually removes some of the special features that were available on the discs separately...that and the lack of the unrated cut equals a pass on this one for me.
Old 09-20-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by emhello
Will Child's Play EVER be released in widescreen?!
I wish, but I certainly wouldn't hold your breath...even with Sony now controlling the MGM library, I doubt they'd improve the dvd...probably just fuck it up further.

MATT
Old 09-20-06, 03:52 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I picked this set up from CH when they had one of their BOGO sales earlier in the month so I could get a different one for free. It's only costing me $24 and change with free shipping and figured "what the heck!"
Old 09-20-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I wish, but I certainly wouldn't hold your breath...even with Sony now controlling the MGM library, I doubt they'd improve the dvd...probably just fuck it up further.

MATT
Fox is distributing all of MGM's releases now, so that might bode well for an eventual OAR 16x9 upgrade.
Old 09-20-06, 07:43 PM

I picked it up today and the good news is,the dvds are in their own holders! I breathed a sigh of relief since I dreaded the 'overlapping' packaging based on how thin the actual dvd case appeared.

And I'm not worried about the few dropped features(mainly Tiffs production diary or whatever),and at least the trailers for 2,3 and Bride are included(the IGN review said Brides trailer was missing). The price is right,I got my trailers,and all four sequels for a very reasonable price.

I think I'll finally pick up the first film to complete the collection. Since I've waited for a widescreen release for nearly a decade and that still has not happened. And since the chances of the dvd being open matte and not cropped/pan & scan are very high. I can live with the 'fullframe' presenation for the time being.
Old 09-20-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you region free? Lots of other countries (UK, Australia, others) have the first one in OAR. Non-anamorphic, unfortunately... but the correct ratio.
Old 09-21-06, 12:04 AM

Here are some caps I took of the R1 vs. the R4:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=22
Old 09-21-06, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Here are some caps I took of the R1 vs. the R4:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=22
Wow, you really can see more without those damned black bars!

Old 09-21-06, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I've got the first movie on laserdisc, there's one part where you can see a stick attached to Chucky at the bottom of the screen helping him walk. I've got Bride Of Chucky on laserdisc too just because it was among that last titles to come out on the format when DVD had already gotten well-established.

On IMDB you can see what the kid in the first movie looks like now. I've always wonder how they get kids to be in scary movies without them being scarred for life.
Old 09-23-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Walmart has this set for $19.96, compared to Best Buy's $24.99 price...